Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

woodenshoemanHoosierfan

High school team unique nicknames

I've always been a fan of small school sports, especially basketball. The kind of games played for the pride of the Community. Similar to Hickory in the Hoosiers. I also love the unique nicknames that some of these schools have. The Decatur Herald and Review had an article about the unique nicknames in their circulation area. I though I would share. I graduated and still live in Teutopolis, the home of the Wooden Shoes.
Some of the unique nicknames in their area besides the Wooden Shoes are the Monticello Sages, Fisher Bunnies, Arcola Purple Rider, Hoopeston Corn Jerkers and Vandalia Vandals just to name a few. What are some unique nicknames in your area?

https://herald-review.com/sports/high-school/appleknockers-wooden-shoes-flaming-hearts-the-stories-behind-unique-central/article_efca6e97-fafe-5fda-8623-d16b6d8eb2f9.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, pumpfake said:

Hobart Brickies, Speedway Sparkplugs.  I think there used to be the Vincennes Alice's.  Wasn't there a school in Pekin, IL that once had a rather off-color name?

I am a proud Hobart Brickie ... Our former conference foe, LaPorte, had a unique one -- Slicers. ... In fact, I can remember the cheers from when I was in school. We'd yell: "What the hell's a Slicer?" And, of course, they'd counter with: "What the hell's a Brickie?"

Not a high school, but the Scottsdale Community College is the Artichokes.

Yuma Arizona was home to the territorial prison back in the day... Yuma HS is the Yuma Criminals.

Valley Vista HS in the Phoenix metro area is the 'Monsoon', named after our seasonal dust/rain storms.

Stinesville Quarry Lads, Shawswick Farmers, Cory Appleboys, Eminence Eels were schools back in the day that had mascot names that referenced something unique about the community. 

Milltown - Millers
Marengo - Cavemen
Depauw - Blue River Echoes
Oil Township - Oilers
Lynnville - Lyndis
Poseyville - Posies
Fort Branch - Twigs
Huntingburg - Happy Hunters
Owensville - Kickapoos

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app