Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

#IUMS - Exhibition

True freshman Maher gets the start and Black up top.

@IndianaMSOC: IU starting XI vs. Xavier...

Trey Muse - GK
Jordan Kleyn - D
AJ Palazzolo - D
Jack Maher - D
Andrew Gutman - D
Trevor Swartz - M
Austin Panchot - M
Francesco Moore - M
Griffin Dorsey - M
Spencer Glass - M
Ian Black - F

Scoreless @ half. We lead 3-0 in shots. 

@JPPrice: A few changes as we start the 2nd half. Sean Caulfield in at goalkeeper, redshirt freshman Joe Schmidt and returnee Rece Buckmaster on in midfield, freshman Ryan Wittenbrink up top and veteran Timmy Mehl in at center back. #iums

We travel to WF on 8/24 for our season opener and UNC on 8/26.

@WakeMSoccer: Final | No. 5 Wake Forest and Furman will end in a 4-4 draw. Deacs return home to Spry for an exhibition against Loyola Maryland on Saturday.

@UNCmenssoccer: Final: #3 UNC 4, #18 Coastal Carolina 0

Tar Heels score all four goals in the second half to earn the victory. The Tar Heels next exhibition will take place on Friday, Aug. 17 at 7 p.m. against Stetson at WakeMed Park in Cary.

2 hours ago, KB0 said:

No Rennicks or Thomas. Wonder if they're both nursing minor injuries.

Also no Buckmaster. I would not read to much into an exhibition line up but this team is deep. 

IDS- 3 Takeaways from the Xavier match

BY PHILLIP STEINMETZ 
Published 8 hours ago
  Forward artcle Copy Article Link Jump to comments

IUvsXavierGamePics

Xavier junior midfielder Sean Wilson holds off IU senior defender Andrew Gutman during an exhibition match Aug. 12 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Hoosiers lost 2-1 to the Musketeers over three, 45-minute periods. MATT BEGALA Buy Photos

It wasn’t the prettiest performance, but IU men's soccer's "Quest for Nine" resumed Sunday evening in Bloomington as IU played Xavier at Bill Armstrong Stadium to open the Hoosiers' exhibition schedule.

The two teams first played a private, 45-minute scrimmage that saw Xavier outscore IU 2-0. According to the IU men's soccer Twitter account, the Hoosiers fielded 10 true or redshirt freshmen, a sophomore and a redshirt sophomore during this period.

Then, in the main exhibition game that was open to the public and featured two 45-minute periods, IU used a late goal from freshman midfielder Joe Schmidt to pick up a 1-0 victory. 

Due to the first segment, Xavier officially won the match 2-1.

Here are a few key takeaways from the first exhibition game of the season.

1.  The defense picked up from where it ended last season

Last season featured arguably the greatest defensive team in IU history, and that defense still looked strong against Xavier. Neither team could find much of an offensive attack in the first 45 minutes, but the Hoosiers kept the Musketeers without a single shot in the first half. Xavier had a handful of corners, but IU’s defense came through every time. 

The Musketeers had an opportunity in the 60th minute to take the lead with a breakaway, but junior goalkeeper Sean Caulfield made a fantastic save to keep the match scoreless. There were a lot of different Hoosiers who saw playing time in the match, but the defense remained consistent throughout the match, regardless of who was on the field for IU.

2.  A.J. Palazzolo will be a wild card for the Hoosiers

Coming off a season-ending knee injury, Palazzolo couldn’t wait to get back on the field with his team. He played in 10 matches during his freshman season, but redshirted the 2017 season due to the injury. Against Xavier, Palazzolo proved how crucial he’ll be to the Hoosiers' success this season. He started at center back and moved all over the field to fill different positions. There’s a Grant Lillard-sized hole in the lineup this season for IU, and Palazzolo could very well fit it.

“A.J is going to play a lot this year, whether he’s starting at center back or we use him up the field,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “He’s so smart, he makes plays, you can play through him. I thought defensively he was good in the second segment.”

3.  Despite a slow start on offense, there are signs of promise 

With a different lineup than usual to start the game, the IU offense looked stagnant at times. IU had three shots in the first half of the public scrimmage, but never found a great opportunity to score. The Hoosiers had a chance in the 34th minute to break through, but a header from sophomore forward Thomas Warr went sailing over the goal. 

6976a864-5fa7-4f74-a5e3-4e1dc1eb8f2a.sized-1000x1000.JPG Freshman midfielder Joe Schmidt prepares to kick the ball Aug. 12 against Xavier in an exhibition match at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Schmidt scored IU's lone goal of the match.  MATT BEGALA Buy Photos

Once the second half of the public scrimmage arrived, the Hoosiers became more aggressive on offense and it paid off. IU had six shots within the next 27 minutes, before Schmidt broke the stalemate with a long-range strike from just outside the penalty box.

“The second segment I thought we were flat, it looked like a preseason body, which was disappointing, but understandable,” Yeagley said. “Just went in and challenged them, corrected a few things that we addressed before the game that we were a little surprised an experienced team didn’t solve, then the third segment we were in full control.”

What's next for the Hoosiers?

IU will be back in action Wednesday night when the Hoosiers travel to Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana, to play No. 6 Louisville for IU's second exhibition game.

19 hours ago, KB0 said:

Buckmaster started the second half.

Thanks. I was not there and was just going by what was written in this thread.

Usually I catch the games at Grand Park like tomorrow living in Indy but I am actually busy tomorrow night and will not be able to go so still will not be able to see how team looks. I also recently moved a bit further from Grand Park (although still pretty close).

I may attend one of the games in Btown over labor day weekend and I also will get the BTN+ pass again this year to watch most games online but I have an HDMI cord this year so I will be able to watch Olympic sports on a 36' screen instead of my 15' computer. I watch all my TV online now with YouTube TV and an HDMI cord as it is a lot cheaper and quality just as good.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:34 PM, ccgeneral said:

I'm fired up! TV times this year.

9/16 @ 4 pm/BTN @ #12 Wisconsin

9/25 @ 7:30 pm/BTN vs Northwestern

10/7 @ 3 pm/BTN @ #21 Michigan

10/16 @ 8 pm/BTN vs #9 Butler

More TV time.

@IndianaMSOC: JUST ANNOUNCED: No. 2 Indiana's match against No. 7 Michigan State on Oct. 28 at 4 PM ET will be broadcast nationally on ESPNU! #Q49 #GoIU

@IndianaMSOC: Halftime | No. 6 Louisville leads No. 2 Indiana, 1-0. 

Hoosiers control the majority of possession in the first 45 minutes, but UL strikes from distance to take the lead. 

Shots 4-2 in favor of Indiana. 

@IndianaMSOC: Final | No. 6 Louisville 1, No. 2 Indiana 0. 

Hoosiers control the second half and out-shoot the Cardinals, 12-4, but aren’t able to find a late equalizer.

Indiana back in action vs. No. 4 Akron on Friday in Fort Wayne. Kickoff at 8 pm ET.