Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

2018 IU FOOTBALL PREDICTION THREAD

Every year I overshoot and end up depressed by season's end.  Why should this year be any different!

@ FIU - W

vs Virginia - W

vs Ball State - W

vs Michigan State - W (Natty's upset special)

@ Rutgers - W

@ Ohio State - L

vs Iowa - W

vs Penn State - W (Natty's upset special)

@ Minnesota - L

vs Maryland - W

@ Michigan - L

vs Purdue - W

9-3 cause why not! 

Win some that they shouldn’t. Lose some that they shouldn’t.

@ FIU - W

vs Virginia - L

vs Ball State - W

vs Michigan State - W

@ Rutgers - L

@ Ohio State - L

vs Iowa - W

vs Penn State - L

@ Minnesota - L

vs Maryland - L

@ Michigan - L

vs Purdue - W

The biggest issue I see is if we can reduce our turnovers (which hopefully will improve with Lagow leaving). That has been our Achilles Heel since Allen has arrived.

The 2016 squad went 6-6 in the regular season. We should have gone at least 8-4, but had five turnovers against both Wake Forest and Penn State, two close games that would have been double-digit victories if not for our carelessness with the football. We also would have likely beaten Nebraska as well, but the WF and PSU games were both completely blown opportunities. 

The 2017 team was anemic on offense and it cost us an opportunity at a third straight bowl. The Michigan game was ours for the taking, yet we could not capitalize against a team that threw 10/20 for 58 total yards. Same goes for MSU. Our run defense had its deficiencies last year, and it hurt us against Michigan, Maryland, and Purdue, three very winnable games. The inconsistent run defense can partially be attributed to a shoddy offense, as teams were able to wear down our defense late in games. 

I've said it before, but it bears repeating again. Kevin Wilson's inability to recruit the quarterback position hurt this team three of the last four seasons. His only option behind an injured Sudfeld in 2014 was a 2* recruit in Diamont. He replaced Sudfeld with a turnover-prone, last-minute JUCO recruit in Lagow. Lagow's backup has left a lot to be desired as well, as Ramsey is a decent game manager but has shown little (outside the UVA game) of really leading an offense. 

Wilson did a good job in turning the program from nothing into mediocre. When he took over we were starting our baseball team in the secondary, and he did develop a competent offensive scheme that kept us competitive in a fair amount of games. However, for someone with the pedigree Wilson had in regards to QB development, he did a piss poor job in getting a steady stream of quarterbacks to come to Bloomington. If Rich Rodriguez didn't take the Arizona job, Sudfeld would have never come to IU and we would have had literally nothing to show for Wilson's quarterback coaching capabilities. He left the program with next to nothing behind center, and it's quite a miracle what Allen has been able to bring in after just one recruiting class. 

I personally think Wilson plateaued at the end of his tenure and think we may truly be better off with him having left after a large enough sample size, just like with Lemonis in baseball. Allen has left some things to be desired so far, but I'm glad we finally have a coach who can implement a competitive defense. That is what is going to win us games down the road, not getting into shootouts with Ohio State and Michigan. On top of it, Allen is likely to stay if he finds some success, which is something I'm not willing to say about Brohm or Fleck. Dawkins has the potential to add some explosiveness and leadership to our offense, and Penix could be a real factor in a year or two. 

30 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

The biggest issue I see is if we can reduce our turnovers (which hopefully will improve with Lagow leaving). That has been our Achilles Heel since Allen has arrived.

The 2016 squad went 6-6 in the regular season. We should have gone at least 8-4, but had five turnovers against both Wake Forest and Penn State, two close games that would have been double-digit victories if not for our carelessness with the football. We also would have likely beaten Nebraska as well, but the WF and PSU games were both completely blown opportunities. 

The 2017 team was anemic on offense and it cost us an opportunity at a third straight bowl. The Michigan game was ours for the taking, yet we could not capitalize against a team that threw 10/20 for 58 total yards. Same goes for MSU. Our run defense had its deficiencies last year, and it hurt us against Michigan, Maryland, and Purdue, three very winnable games. The inconsistent run defense can partially be attributed to a shoddy offense, as teams were able to wear down our defense late in games. 

I've said it before, but it bears repeating again. Kevin Wilson's inability to recruit the quarterback position hurt this team three of the last four seasons. His only option behind an injured Sudfeld in 2014 was a 2* recruit in Diamont. He replaced Sudfeld with a turnover-prone, last-minute JUCO recruit in Lagow. Lagow's backup has left a lot to be desired as well, as Ramsey is a decent game manager but has shown little (outside the UVA game) of really leading an offense. 

Wilson did a good job in turning the program from nothing into mediocre. When he took over we were starting our baseball team in the secondary, and he did develop a competent offensive scheme that kept us competitive in a fair amount of games. However, for someone with the pedigree Wilson had in regards to QB development, he did a piss poor job in getting a steady stream of quarterbacks to come to Bloomington. If Rich Rodriguez didn't take the Arizona job, Sudfeld would have never come to IU and we would have had literally nothing to show for Wilson's quarterback coaching capabilities. He left the program with next to nothing behind center, and it's quite a miracle what Allen has been able to bring in after just one recruiting class. 

I personally think Wilson plateaued at the end of his tenure and think we may truly be better off with him having left after a large enough sample size, just like with Lemonis in baseball. Allen has left some things to be desired so far, but I'm glad we finally have a coach who can implement a competitive defense. That is what is going to win us games down the road, not getting into shootouts with Ohio State and Michigan. On top of it, Allen is likely to stay if he finds some success, which is something I'm not willing to say about Brohm or Fleck. Dawkins has the potential to add some explosiveness and leadership to our offense, and Penix could be a real factor in a year or two. 

We also just don't close games very well. 2016 Penn State, 2017 Michigan, heck we were neck and neck with Ohio State a few times as well. But you did hit it on the head regarding the last few years - Great defense, capable WR's but the QB play just hasn't been good enough. Neglected that position in recruiting. 

38 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

We also just don't close games very well. 2016 Penn State, 2017 Michigan, heck we were neck and neck with Ohio State a few times as well. But you did hit it on the head regarding the last few years - Great defense, capable WR's but the QB play just hasn't been good enough. Neglected that position in recruiting. 

You would have thought that him having coached two Heisman winning QBs would have carried more weight with recruits.

13 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

You would have thought that him having coached two Heisman winning QBs would have carried more weight with recruits.

Exactly which is why I didn't lose sleep over us deciding he was not the best guy to lead the program. I'm not sure if Allen is but I do like the fact that he prioritized QB this offseason bringing in the AZ transfer and Penix. That type of competition should be good for all of those guys. Lagow, Diamont, Ramsey just aren't P5 QB's....maybe Ramsey turns a corner but just not sure with what I saw regarding his accuracy and arm strength last yr. 

Question marks on both side of the ball, with our schedule I would guess 6 - 6 knowing 5 -7  is just as likely

or 7-5 (with some luck and we are DUE for that luck!)

On 8/8/2018 at 11:24 AM, ThompsonHoosier said:

FIU- W

Virginia- W

Ball State- W

Michigan State-L

Rutgers- W

Ohio State- L

Iowa- L

Penn State- L

Minnesota- W 

Maryland- W

Michigan-L

Purdue- W

7-5.  Obviously Virginia, Minnesota, Rutgers, and Maryland are huge games.  

*starts dreaming of when are we going to get to play Illinois in our crossover game

On 8/8/2018 at 10:13 PM, Alford Bailey said:

Agree. Odd that Wilson couldnt bring in more talent at qb

Wilson scared off a lot of talented QBs. He wasn’t a great recruiter. The assistants were the winners that he hired.  I’ve heard many stories about how he would run top recruits we could have landed off. One that comes to mind is the older Lytle his little brother actually just committed to Wisky as a OLB. At some point you have to come down to earth and become a people person. 

After the news of Dawkins leaving, I'm changing my prediction to 4-8 with a loss this weekend. Not that I think Dawkins would be the difference between a win and a loss, but I think the adversity resulting from a player leaving this close to the opener will be a distraction.

@FIU - L

Virginia - W

Ball State - W

Michigan State - L

@Rutgers - W

@Ohio  State - L

Iowa - L

Penn State - L

@Minnesota - L

Maryland - W

@Michigan - L

Purdue - L

ESPN's Mitch Sherman predicts Indiana will play Southern Miss in the SERVPRO First Responder Bowl (played in the Cotton Bowl, Dallas) on 12/26/2018. 

Small vote of confidence anyway. Please respond with your "too early to tell", "ESPN's usually wrong", and "too many bowl games" responses ad nauseum.