Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

21 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I agree, but also, "the tragedy of life is often not in our failure, but rather in our complacency."

I also agree that the NIT is a great test lab for changes to the game. No reason not to try to improve a "fine" product and see if you can make it better!

I completely agree. Let’s give it a chance to play out and see what happens. We may not use it now or ever, but would always be nice to know how it works in case of a situation where we do need/want the change or improvement. Nothing is ever perfect and there is always room for improvement, and who knows, this could be it. At least want to give it a platform to be able to judge it fairly. 

Change for the sake of change though is pointless.  Its a solution to a problem most of us don't seem to have.  In just about every topic about a game that goes into OT somebody correctly says something along the lines of free basketball.  This gets rid of that. 
If we think the game is perfect or as close as reasonable to ask the way it is, why would we discuss change?
The one change I would like to see made to basketball be the ability to appeal fouls at the Half or if we go to Quarters after each quarter.  The other team can keep any FTs they made, but the player gets the foul back.  This would serve to keep good players in the game as much as possible and let teams really duke it out.  Instead of letting "Mistakes" by the refs keep affecting the game well after they happen
Great post

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Seems like someone is over thinking the game of basketball.  Isn't this concept just a pickup game at your local park?  I'd be real surprised if this becomes an actual rule in organizations like the NBA, NCAA and IHSAA.  If it does I would push for just playing to a set number and eliminate the game clock all together.  You would still have the shot clock and all the "time based" rules would still exists obviously. 

This rule seems to punish the team winning up to the "final time" of regulation aka the end of the game as we know it.  

‘True’ basketball in the sense that the last 5 minutes looks like the other 35 minutes. The true spirit of basketball.

To be clear, I’m fine with the way it is, my point with this thread was to promote discussion to the pros and cons of this alternative.

What we mostly got was resistant to change opinions for the sake of being resistant to change. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

And I agree, was just hoping for more fruitful discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app
Is it "true" basketball when with 4 minutes to go, we now have to get to a certain score instead of the clock winding down? The game could conceivably be over without time running out.

To some, a free throw parade to decide a game is an equivalent to free kicks in soccer deciding a game.

The last 2-4 minutes of a game often times doesn’t resemble a basketball game.

Sure it’s strategy, that statistically rarely works.

This proposed ending strategy promotes more ‘true’ basketball.

Mike Decourcy is being ridiculous? Most, if not all, of the posts against this are saying the same thing as the Decourcy article I shared.

13 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Hardly anyone ever likes change at first. I think it’s an interesting possible solution. There are plenty of positives as well.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

What are the positives other than not much late game fouling?

What are the positives other than not much late game fouling?

That in of itself creates a few: games less likely to be decided in the final minutes but fouls, less incredibly boring drawn out finishes, instead of fouling the behind team is forced to play ultra aggressive defense which has the potential to create a much more exciting end of the game, and I don’t know! There’s a 70 page report that you can read that breaks it down much more eloquently and detailed than I can.

That in of itself creates a few: games less likely to be decided in the final minutes but fouls, less incredibly boring drawn out finishes, instead of fouling the behind team is forced to play ultra aggressive defense which has the potential to create a much more exciting end of the game, and I don’t know! There’s a 70 page report that you can read that breaks it down much more eloquently and detailed than I can.

Not entirely true. I watched two games where the opposing team down by 10+ put a sub 50% shooter on the line multiple times. That poor Onuwaku for Boheims army... Really there wasn’t much difference. It really was different for the sake of being different. I didn’t see the ultra aggressive defense during any game I watched. I did witness every team with a deficit chucking 3’s and the team winning were working it inside. That is really the only thing that was noticeably different from the game now. It’s honestly no big deal either way as this will never gather steam in College Basketball or the NBA. Honestly if they came out and said they wanted to try during CBI or some preseason games? No harm no foul.

7 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I agree, but also, "the tragedy of life is often not in our failure, but rather in our complacency."

I also agree that the NIT is a great test lab for changes to the game. No reason not to try to improve a "fine" product and see if you can make it better!

Sometimes you end up with Coke II or clear Pepsi . 

I'm fine with testing it out during the NIT, I just don't think it will translate to the college game at all.

5 hours ago, Lebowski said:

Seems like someone is over thinking the game of basketball.  Isn't this concept just a pickup game at your local park?  I'd be real surprised if this becomes an actual rule in organizations like the NBA, NCAA and IHSAA.  If it does I would push for just playing to a set number and eliminate the game clock all together.  You would still have the shot clock and all the "time based" rules would still exists obviously. 

This rule seems to punish the team winning up to the "final time" of regulation aka the end of the game as we know it.

Kinda sounds half-assed like extra time in soccer, when you put it that way.

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

In this sense, I don't think a game is ever decided by fouls, it's determined by basketball players ability or inability to knock down free throws; and on the opposing teams ability to take advantage of the misses and other players poor skill in executing a fundamental basketball play.

I was enamored with the Elam ending, but became bored rather quickly. Almost every team who is winning can score 7 points faster than the other team can score 7 points plus their deficit.