Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
mamasa

New Player's Numbers

To answer a question that's asked every summer ... based on this video, IU's newcomers will wear:

No. 0 Romeo Langford
No. 4 Jake Forrester
No. 10 Rob Phinisee
No. 21 Jerome Hunter
No. 23 Damezi Anderson
No. 55 Evan Fitzner #iubb

I was wondering who was gonna wear No. 17? ...

I'm not sure I understand why you'd sell a No. 17 IU basketball jersey -- yet I've seen this on a couple websites. First of all, in the college game, you can't wear No. 17. Second of all, what is the significance to that number -- especially if nobody's ever worn it? 

And it brings me to a question I've asked before, but will ask again: Isn't it time for college and high school ball to abandon the rule that jersey numbers have to end in 0-5 and can only go up to 55? I understand back in the day, it was easier for a ref to call a foul with those numbers -- because he could do it with one hand -- but times have changed. There's no reason (in my mind) why a ref can't go to the scorer's table and say: "Foul's on number 1-7 in the red. Number 3-9 in white will shoot two." ... NBA and international refs do it. It's not that complicated. If a player comes to IU (or any other school, for that matter), and wants to wear No. 7 or 17 or 27, why shouldn't he be able to? The current rule just seems so silly and antiquated. 

iujersey.png

5 minutes ago, HoosierDYT said:

I'm guessing the 17 was for 2017, and this year there will be an 18. I could be completely wrong though.

I thought about that, too. But if it were because of the year, I would think the 17 jerseys would be on clearance by now. Why pay full price for it? That site -- and others -- have several jerseys that they're selling for $25 or so -- that have real numbers. And wouldn't 17 be two years old by now? If they were gonna come out with a current version, it should be 19, right? Since we're heading into the 2018-19 season? 

4 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I thought about that, too. But if it were because of the year, I would think the 17 jerseys would be on clearance by now. Why pay full price for it? That site -- and others -- have several jerseys that they're selling for $25 or so -- that have real numbers. And wouldn't 17 be two years old by now? If they were gonna come out with a current version, it should be 19, right? Since we're heading into the 2018-19 season? 

Yeah, that would make sense lol