Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Urban Meyer

20 hours ago, HoosierDYT said:

This is an unpopular opinion and a tricky situation but needs to be said. There were no police charges actually filed. Zach Smith has YET to be charged with a domestic abuse crime. Apparently the wife called 911 over 50 times and lost her credibility with not only the Gainesville police but also the Columbus police force. By no way am I defending Zach Smith, but if Meyer did report everything to his superiors as he says and fired Zach Smith on 7/23 after Smith’s wife filed for a protection on 7/20, it seems he did nothing wrong. Sure, he could have done more, and that is expected, but to expect a coach to also play the role of the polices is too difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed. It would be ridiculous to fire Meyer over an assistants messy divorce.

1 hour ago, Alford Bailey said:

Agreed. It would be ridiculous to fire Meyer over an assistants messy divorce.

What about being accountable for choosing the standards of personal character you select for your staff who  will be around and have significant influence on young men?  

Acceptance = no change. 

What about being a poor role model for 100 kids?

Here is the thing and I can definitely see both sides of this. How is he a bad role model for the kids on this situation if he reported like he was supposed to with no criminal charges being made to this point? To me that sends a mixed message that you can and should be ruined in the event of being accused in spite of police declining to continually agree with the accuser. I mean put yourself in that situation. That isn’t cut and dry. It’s his wife that wasn’t leaving him. She obviously stayed and it would be hard to believe there were marks and this just now coming out. You knew they had issues. Maybe he truly thought she was a liar because of where it was always left. She is telling his wife one thing, but the police never agree with her. I am all for the public pile on since it’s OSU but to me it’s not as simple as some are making it. If there were no charges, I don’t feel it is my employers or bosses right to insert himself into my marriage. No matter what my wife said. Maybe she is pissed? Maybe she is a liar? Maybe she is telling the truth? I personally feel she was telling the truth in hindsight but I can empathize with Urban Meyer based on what we currently know if it were 100% truthful. Big if there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

15 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What are you even talking about?  I never said a word about Bob Knight. 

Sorry got you confused with Joe who said that people should wait till a guilty. 

Apparently my brain gets people who don’t think ignoring domestic is a big deal mixed up

49 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Sorry got you confused with Joe who said that people should wait till a guilty. 

Apparently my brain gets people who don’t think ignoring domestic is a big deal mixed up

Pretty big leap there to get "people who don't think ignoring domestic is a big deal" out of "firing people for accusations is a slippery slope". 

Sure, it's not the legal system, so "innocent until proven guilty" isn't at play, but I don't want to live in a society where someone can lose everything because of a mere allegation. Apparently that's an extremist view these days. It's incredibly easy to make something up. Someone could come into your work Monday morning and say "Brass Cannon abused me" without any proof. Would you want to be fired when you didn't do anything? 

1 minute ago, Iugradman said:

That isn’t what happened here. It wasn’t a single allegation. There were multiple instances of alleged abuse, police reports, pictures, etc. Urban has a history of tolerating bad behavior in his program and admittedly lied to the media about what he knew in 2015.

I wasn't really talking about the OSU situation though, just more generally about the larger issue. What Meyer did or did not do, who knows. I don't expect him to get fired and if he does he'll have another job within a week  

17 hours ago, Deserthoozier said:

What about being accountable for choosing the standards of personal character you select for your staff who  will be around and have significant influence on young men?  

Acceptance = no change. 

He fired him 3 days later. Isn't that setting a good example? There are two sides to this story. It was a marriage going bad. It sounds like both husband and wife behaved badly. It happens. 

4 hours ago, Gahoosierfan said:

He fired him 3 days later. Isn't that setting a good example? There are two sides to this story. It was a marriage going bad. It sounds like both husband and wife behaved badly. It happens. 

3 years. And describing this as a husband behaving badly is part of the problem  

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

How am I rushing. I’m judging Meyer based on what he’s publically stated. 

You have an opinion but I’m quite sure not all of the facts. Otherwise, Meyer would have already been gone. 

3 minutes ago, schoosier said:

You have an opinion but I’m quite sure not all of the facts. Otherwise, Meyer would have already been gone. 

My opinion is based on what Meyer literally admitted to. 

Of course i dont have all the facts. But when people admit to doing something crappy on their own volition kinda saves alot of time

This is getting better than the Jerry Springer show.    Here's a teaser from the article below:  The latest and most lurid bombshell allegations dropped Friday by Stadium.com’s Brett McMurphy complete the portrait of former Buckeyes wide receivers coach Zach Smith as a profoundly troubled Ohio State employee. Self-made photographs allegedly of Smith having sex with an Ohio State staffer in the football facility; photographs of Smith’s penis during a White House visit to honor the Buckeyes’ 2014 nation title team; and a shipment of sex toys to the Woody Hayes Athletic Complex were all part of the revelations McMurphy published Friday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/urban-meyer-risk-legendary-career-one-troubled-assistant-004851272.html

There will be much debate about what Meyer knew or didn't know, but ultimately, there are two reasons he won't be fired:

1) 73-8

2) 6-0

Overall record, and his record against Michigan. Those are the only things that will really matter here. Meyer could beat up his own wife in front of 80,000 people at a spring game and OSU still wouldn't fire him as long as he keeps winning and beating Michigan.