Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Urban Meyer

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He didn't just say he followed protocol, he said he followed protocol by elevating issues concerning domestic violence through proper channels.

If he's lying in this statement? He's toast. 

But the statement is pretty clear to me. The ball is now in OSU's court.

So what are the odds of who falls on the sword...Urban, Gene Smith, or both?

I thought he said earlier this week he had no knowledge of allegations. Now he's saying he did his job and followed protocol? How could he do that if he had no knowledge of it?

I've never believed a word that's come out of this guy's mouth.

I dont really care if he told his bosses. Its the paterno defense. I told my bosses they were the ones who should have stopped it. 
He continued to work with the man for 3 years and didnt wonder why he wasnt fired. Or out of decency didnt do it himself?

This is an unpopular opinion and a tricky situation but needs to be said. There were no police charges actually filed. Zach Smith has YET to be charged with a domestic abuse crime. Apparently the wife called 911 over 50 times and lost her credibility with not only the Gainesville police but also the Columbus police force. By no way am I defending Zach Smith, but if Meyer did report everything to his superiors as he says and fired Zach Smith on 7/23 after Smith’s wife filed for a protection on 7/20, it seems he did nothing wrong. Sure, he could have done more, and that is expected, but to expect a coach to also play the role of the polices is too difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I thought he said earlier this week he had no knowledge of allegations. Now he's saying he did his job and followed protocol? How could he do that if he had no knowledge of it?

I've never believed a word that's come out of this guy's mouth.

I read in an article that Meyer said he was unaware of a 2015 incident.

Well he’s turned his story around now, and squarely asserts that he pushed Zack Smith issues in 2015 up to higher levels. There’s no way that 0SU lets him falsely assert that if it’s not true and allows him to falsely stick this on them. 

This is an unpopular opinion and a tricky situation but needs to be said. There were no police charges actually filed. Zach Smith has YET to be charged with a domestic abuse crime. Apparently the wife called 911 over 50 times and lost her credibility with not only the Gainesville police but also the Columbus police force. By no way am I defending Zach Smith, but if Meyer did report everything to his superiors as he says and fired Zach Smith on 7/23 after Smith’s wife filed for a protection on 7/20, it seems he did nothing wrong. Sure, he could have done more, and that is expected, but to expect a coach to also play the role of the polices is too difficult.

Firing people because of accusations is a very slippery slope, but unfortunately it seems to be the norm nowadays. 

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Well perhaps people who ignore domestic abuse deserve to have their reputation ruined. 

Wait a minute, then why are we not ruining the reputation of the woman who ignored it for years?  How are we going to blame anybody but the dbag who beat his wife?  How is Meyer's possible acceptance terrible, but the wife's acceptance ok?  I'm not trying to suggest she deserves any scorn at all.  That husband deserves prison.  But how does Meyer's reputation deserve to be stained forever while another person let it happen for years and is a saint?  

There's only one person who deserves all this scorn.  The sob who beat a woman.  I don't understand why Urban Meyer is on the brink of losing his job.

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Wait a minute, then why are we not ruining the reputation of the woman who ignored it for years?  How are we going to blame anybody but the dbag who beat his wife?  How is Meyer's possible acceptance terrible, but the wife's acceptance ok?  I'm not trying to suggest she deserves any scorn at all.  That husband deserves prison.  But how does Meyer's reputation deserve to be stained forever while another person let it happen for years and is a saint?  

There's only one person who deserves all this scorn.  The sob who beat a woman.  I don't understand why Urban Meyer is on the brink of losing his job.

Whos claiming the woman who also knew was a saint?  Nobody 

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

I’m curious if you’ve ever held a management position where your leadership qualities and integrity were paramount?

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’m curious if you’ve ever held a management position where your leadership qualities and integrity were paramount?

Good question, and I have.  I understand where that question comes from.

In my experiences, I side with the police's decisions.  Every time.  It may not be popular, but it's the one to take.  From my understanding, there were never any charges.

For a variety of reasons violence on women goes uncharged. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. 

Okay, but if you start punishing people for accusations then you're going to end up punishing innocent people. Take the Reuben Foster situation, a guy on the 49ers. 

"Ennis told responding officers in February that Foster had dragged her down the stairs by her hair, threw her out of the house, punched her in the head eight to 10 times and spit on her."

If that was an allegation posted on here I imagine we'd hear things like "what an sob, lock the cell and throw away the key, he deserves worse than jail", etc. 

Now, the real story:

"Ennis — who had begun recanting her original story within two days of relaying it, the district attorney confirmed in court, and formally did so through her attorney in late April — said on Thursday all those behaviors she described were lies.

“I wanted to sue Reuben,” Ennis said under oath. “It was a money scheme. It was all about money. I wanted to get him.”

“I really wanted to kill him,” she added. “I was so hurt.”

Ennis said she became visibly upset the morning Foster said he wanted to break up with her and that she chased after him with threats as he tried to run away from her.

“I told him I’m about to f–k yo s–t up, make sure you don’t have a job tomorrow,” she said, as reported by The Athletic."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2018/05/17/nfl-players-ex-girlfriend-brutal-allegations-were-lies-for-money/amp/

44 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

For a variety of reasons violence on women goes uncharged. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. 

I agree.  For a variety of reasons people from outside the situation don't demand police action too.

Truth is, we don't know a lot of info here.  I'm not ready to ruin a guy's reputation forever except the the guy who did the beating.  I'm sorry, this seems like s big jump here.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

I agree.  For a variety of reasons people from outside the situation don't demand police action too.

Truth is, we don't know a lot of info here.  I'm not ready to ruin a guy's reputation forever except the the guy who did the beating.  I'm sorry, this seems like s big jump here.

Well if we are ready to admit that he’s guilty. Urban has already admitting to knowing and pulling a paterno

But there are two very distinct issues here:

1) Who has criminal exposure, and 

2) Employment law. And no one is “guilty “ in an employment termination. Ya just get fired for what ya did. And the legal standards for that are far less stringent.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

But there are two very distinct issues here:

1) Who has criminal exposure, and 

2) Employment law. And no one is “guilty “ in an employment termination. Ya just get fired for what ya did. And the legal standards for that are far less stringent.

Ya might even say it's open to interpretation.  I hope we take our time with this rather than ruining somebody's reputation forever before we get more information.  (Happy Friday night)

I would say that Urban’s reputation won’t be ruined. It will look bad for a while but he will land another job at another big time program and keep right on coaching.