Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Urban Meyer

49 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Do you fire someone without proof? Did Meyer have evidence of the abuse considering there were never charges or anything brought upon the guy? It is a crappy standard to set. No due process and no more innocent until proven guilty? Slippery slope.
I will say, Meyer should have had it investigated in the first place and went from there. It is crappy to just hide it. Now, maybe Meyer did ask questions at the time, the guy said no and they moved on from there. Should Meyer be fired? Absolutely not. Whether anyone likes the guy or not. You fire him, then what about all the coaches? What about all the players in college who have hit their GF’s or know of their friend hitting a gf and did nothing about it? Kick them off the team? The NFL is rampant with players who have run ins with the law? Do they get fired too? Or just the successful coaches like Urban Meyer to make it look like they care?
Meyer will likely step down and soon again be at a big time school(USC would be interesting) and back in college football.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not trying to be a snot to Joe, but for the non-lawyers among y'all (and bless your hearts for not being lawyers!):

"Do you fire someone without proof?"

Urban Meyer has an extremely complex employment contract. If they fire him, you can be darn sure they will do so with what OSU considers "a preponderance of the evidence". THAT is the standard that Meyer could cite as not having been met by OSU in a wrongful termination lawsuit. If he resigns without a fight? That is a very strong indicator that Meyer thinks they have the goods on him and that it was an appropriate termination.

"No due process and no more innocent until proven guilty?"

"Innocent until proven guilty" is true for a defendant's status in criminal court when charged with a crime (with "probable cause" being the standard for arrest), and has absolutely nothing to do with OSU's ability to terminate an employee.

As for Meyer's due process, I am quite sure that Meyer's lawyers are well aware of their options to exert their due process and contest a termination, move for an injuction to forestall the termination, and a host of other options that I would assume an employment lawyer is well aware of.

"What about all the players in college who have hit their GF’s or know of their friend hitting a gf and did nothing about it? Kick them off the team?" 

Well...yes. That's exactly what you can do. AND, unlike when a teammate hears about criminal conduct such as this, when:

• It's a repeated pattern of being in a leadership position and hearing about it?
  • Being the ultimate leader who is responsible for the integrity of the organization, knowing about it, and doing nothing about it?

Damn straight you are gonzo.

Rule of law Joe, rule of law.

I don’t really pity OSU much but it does suck for them. Urban won’t be out of work long and so he really isn’t punished but OSU is. Sure he is their guy but it is too bad that a big mistake by a coach leads to the school being punished more than the guy making the mistake.

1 hour ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

To me, this tweet doesn't mean anything -- because of the word "could." A source says he could resign? What's that mean? You really don't have to go that far out on a limb to say he "could" resign. 

8 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

But we are heading in a direction in society where a career can be ruined for something before being proven guilty.

I can agree with this to a point. It's a hard line to walk between protecting the rights of the accused and trying to achieve justice for the victim. And I know that sometimes an allegation of wrongdoing, without charges ever being filled, is enough to ruin a reputation even if later exonerated.

1 minute ago, HoosierDYT said:

I’d be surprised if he resigns or is fired. Just my opinion but I think a 3-4 game suspension is more suitable

No. This is either nothing or huge. He’s probably gone. 

37 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah. That’s how it works. Do something crappy=loss of reputation. 

Yep! That’s the real world. Enough protecting coaching royalty who get paid millions - when they ignore or fail to act, and often bury team level crimes/transgressions that hugely impact victims lives - all in order to win. That’s part of the package of accepting the role of coach/leader,etc. I respect the schools that have the integrity  to take action - proponderance of evidence or not- and let the legal process play out win or lose. 

Far too many examples of otherwise - Izzo,  Pitino, Paterno, Dantnio, Baylor, the OSU wrestling coaches, on and on.

No actions = no changes. 

Meyer’s wife and all the coaching wives knew...they all knew too!

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

14 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

Yep! That’s the real world. Enough protecting coaching royalty who get paid millions - when they ignore or fail to act, and often bury team level crimes/transgressions that hugely impact victims lives - all in order to win. That’s part of the package of accepting the role of coach/leader,etc. I respect the schools that have the integrity  to take action - proponderance of evidence or not- and let the legal process play out win or lose. 

Far too many examples of otherwise - Izzo,  Pitino, Paterno, Dantnio, Baylor, the OSU wrestling coaches, on and on.

No actions = no changes. 

Meyer’s wife and all the coaching wives knew...they all knew too!

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

To an even broader scale it extends to Hollywood, and pro athletes too. Money and success get a lot of people to turn their heads, while normal people like us would have the book thrown at us at the start.

3 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

image.thumb.png.035167c3ec5b9dc108917854ede5c3fe.png

A lot of words that don't really say much...

I think this statement by Urban Meyer is pretty definitive:

Urban Meyer says "I have always followed proper protocols and procedures when I have learned about an incident (of domestic violence)...by elevating the  issues to the proper channels. And, I did so regarding the Zach Smith incident in 2015. ...any suggestion to the contrary is false."

If this statement by Meyer is true and he can show that he did so? OSU has more explaining to do that Urban Meyer does.

5 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Meyer has said he followed protocol. If that is the case, is that on OSU administration? Do they get suspended/fired if so?

I think so!

IF (and right now it's an 'if') Meyer told his superiors his knowledge of the information he had in 2015 and OSU buried it? That's largely on OSU senior administration.

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

"I have always followed protocol", of course he's going to say that.  He's not going to come out and admit "all the coaches wives knew, of course I knew it was happening".

He didn't just say he followed protocol, he said he followed protocol by elevating issues concerning domestic violence through proper channels.

If he's lying in this statement? He's toast. 

But the statement is pretty clear to me. The ball is now in OSU's court.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

If he's lying in this statement? He's toast. 

But the statement is pretty clear to me. The ball is now in OSU's court.

Yeah, I edited with additional thoughts.  If he's being honest (and I would sure hope so), it looks bad higher up.

I dont really care if he told his bosses. Its the paterno defense. I told my bosses they were the ones who should have stopped it. 

He continued to work with the man for 3 years and didnt wonder why he wasnt fired. Or out of decency didnt do it himself?