Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Kaufman visited Purdue last weekend. We should be able to show him a better experience, I’d imagine.

Love- not holding my breathe. But the scouts loved him through the end of AAU season. I can see positives and negatives here.

And beating Ohio State, well, why the hell not?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Kaufman visited Purdue last weekend. We should be able to show him a better experience, I’d imagine.

Love- not holding my breathe. But the scouts loved him through the end of AAU season. I can see positives and negatives here.

So, I'll put you down for two out of three by next Monday evening.

Excellent.  ;)

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Caleb Love official visit this weekend, along with Trey Kaufman. Of course both will be there to witness the win over Ohio State ;)

• Kaufman commit
  • Love commit
  • Win over Ohio State

Can we get one of those three things by this time next week? 

Chris Farley Dance GIF - ChrisFarley Dance DanceParty GIFs

Screw it, if we're going to do this we're going big or going home. I'm taking all 3!

Caleb Love official visit this weekend, along with Trey Kaufman. Of course both will be there to witness the win over Ohio State ;)
  • Kaufman commit
  • Love commit
  • Win over Ohio State
Can we get one of those three things by this time next week? 
tenor.gif&key=d5469eef2d174b0c2aa4e80f1a446939e971ef5ce1ce35f3078fc8144ea86831

Things tend to happen in threes...?

None of the above!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We beat them in 1987 my junior year lol, so anything’s possible. Have we beaten them since?

1 hour ago, schoosier said:

We beat them in 1987 my junior year lol, so anything’s possible. Have we beaten them since?

Beat them the very next year -- annihilated em, in fact -- 41-7 at Memorial Stadium. ... That was my junior year. Was John Cooper's first year in Columbus. ... AT ran for 190 yards and 4 TDs. ... Unfortunately, after beating OSU in back-to-back years, we haven't beaten them since. ... May have tied them since then (when there were still ties), but never beat 'em. 

5 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Beat them the very next year -- annihilated em, in fact -- 41-7 at Memorial Stadium. ... That was my junior year. Was John Cooper's first year in Columbus. ... AT ran for 190 yards and 4 TDs. ... Unfortunately, after beating OSU in back-to-back years, we haven't beaten them since. ... May have tied them since them (when there were still ties), but never beat 'em. 

Holy cow I forgot about that. 87 was such a special year for football and b-ball. I guess it overshadowed the following year and our early b-ball exit.

12 hours ago, schoosier said:

Yes in 88 also. I was at the pregame rally in Dunn meadow or someplace like that on Friday night. I remember Bill Mallory walking up to the podium and saying. This is what we're going to do to Ohio State tomorrow. He dropped a buckeye on the ground and smashed it with his foot, then walked off the stage. As a 12-year-old, I was ready to run through a wall at that point to tackle an OSU fan. 

I have mixed feelings about Love (the player not the emotion) 

He is clearly talented and fills a need for IU....but I get a "me first" vibe from him and the last 5 star guard experiment flamed out even though I think Romeo was a pretty nice kid. 

Gotta have players, but they gotta fit too...not sure he does. Am I wrong? 

I have mixed feelings about Love (the player not the emotion) 
He is clearly talented and fills a need for IU....but I get a "me first" vibe from him and the last 5 star guard experiment flamed out even though I think Romeo was a pretty nice kid. 
Gotta have players, but they gotta fit too...not sure he does. Am I wrong? 

I think we overrate the "Romeo didn't fit" narrative. Romeo didn't fit because he didn't have a skill set that filled gaps that needed filled. We didn't need a slasher who couldn't shoot. We already had enough of those. If we had gotten a OAD like Garland, who appears to be a real outside threat, instead of Romeo, I don't think we would be talking about bad fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we land Love we better get Garcia too and hope TJD sticks around more than one year. That would put at least 3 potential NBA talents on the team and would help to balance the egos. That’s the reason Cal and K can pull off balancing the egos more than not plus those guys push each other to be the best player on the team. You want more than a single 5* player on the roster.

41 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't think Langford was a bad fit because of skill set either. He tore a ligament in his shooting hand 10 days into the season and our PG essentially missed 3+ weeks (if you consider how long it took him to get right after he came back). If Langford doesn't hurt his thumb and shoots even just something like 34% from 3 IU probably makes the tournament. 

I think he'd probably have shot better without the thumb issue, but the skill set he showed last year, whether because of  ended up a bad fit. If you had put him on a team with shooters, his slashing would have been much more valuable, but he couldn't capitalize on it with IU because defenses just packed the lane.

I don't think Langford was a bad fit because of skill set either. He tore a ligament in his shooting hand 10 days into the season and our PG essentially missed 3+ weeks (if you consider how long it took him to get right after he came back). If Langford doesn't hurt his thumb and shoots even just something like 34% from 3 IU probably makes the tournament. 
This! It seems people don't think a torn ligament in the shooting hand doesnt affect a person's shot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Free Jurkin! said:

I think he'd probably have shot better without the thumb issue, but the skill set he showed last year, whether because of  ended up a bad fit. If you had put him on a team with shooters, his slashing would have been much more valuable, but he couldn't capitalize on it with IU because defenses just packed the lane.

I agree with you. Romeo is a great slasher but that particular team was in need of perimeter threats. The lack of perimeter threats, including Romeo, allowed teams (as you mentioned) take away Romeos primary strength by packing the lanes/driving angles.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

One interview with select quotes that the reporter chose, does not make Caleb Love a "me-first" player. It doesn't mean he couldn't be one, but I will trust the judgment of an IU coaching staff that has gotten to know him well over a selected unflattering quote.

Agree. Both from what I have seen watching him and been told by people who know him, Love seems to be a really good kid. Have also heard he’s an excellent student. But he does seem to  want the keys to the car and with a Jr Phinisee that probably doesn’t happen here. And I don’t put him in the same class as a kid like Lander, who’s just too good to sit. It’s a shame. He’s so explosive that he would be a really tough matchup running stuff that puts him in a position to attack off the wing. He’d be a fit as CJ McCollum. But I think he’s looking to be Russell Westbrook. 

This! It seems people don't think a torn ligament in the shooting hand doesnt affect a person's shot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to criticize Romeo. My point was that a lot of people seem to think that the fact that he was a OAD was a problem for the team. I don't think that was the issue, or at least the primary issue. The problem was that he did not perform like a OAD. Not necessarily his fault as he was injured all season, and I realize that his injury likely significantly impacted his play. If you look at the difference between his spot up shooting percentages and off the dribble percentage, where his thumb was likely less of a factor, it seems pretty clear that the thumb caused problems. My point is that we shouldn't shy away from OAD type players just because it didn't work out last year. If Romeo had shot 35%+ from 3 and averaged 20 points, we would have made the tournament, and this narrative that OADs hurt team chemistry wouldn't exist.

College players have different goals and career aspirations. The coach's job is to figure out how to make it all work. Plenty of coaches figure out how to mesh 5 stars with 4 year kids. If Archie can't do that, he shouldn't be coaching here, but I think he can. If Archie is interested in Caleb Love, I see no reason to have reservations about adding him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I truly believe we have our "5"star pg. And we have him for 3 more years. (At least 2 more). I'd be okay with a 4 star pg. Trey and Al could be be that guy who spells RP for a year. That would also show Lander we're all in on him.