Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

lucel15

Upcoming season

I was sitting around the home office today and started thinking about this years football schedule. I’m not going to do predictions as that thread will start mid August I’d say. What i would like to do is look at each opponent and basically what I see from them/read on other boards. Have fun with discussions. First three opponents 

FIU- they lost their QB, but they made a bowl last year and have Florida talent. I expect a decent offense with a subpar defense in the opener

UVA- they lost their QB and they lost a lot on their defense. Lost a great LB and then in the off-season I believe they lost a few players to off the field incidents as well as a pretty good DL retiring from football due to injuries. They have a JUCO QB coming in very mobile....And returning leading rusher is back....like I said their defense will need to fill some pretty big holes. 

Ball State- all I have to say is stomp on their throats and don’t let them back in the game like we did 2 years ago gosh that was ugly and so vanilla in play calling once we were up.  They have a decent to good QB. RBs will be good, but again I would say our opponents biggest question is their defense. 

I will do my thoughts on big ten opponents once I look at their returning starters lists. 

I believe BSU also has a receiver on the Biletnikoff watch list. So, with your observations (QB and RB) a balanced attack?

Totally agree, need to take this game without question.

Really need to win the other two also, as others have mentioned, little room for error this year.

Edited by VPC

As the start of fall camp approaches, this is what some of the other coaches in the league have to say (anonymously) about Coach Allen.

Via: AthlonSports

Link to full article: https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-ten-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2018

Indiana

indiana-hoosiers.png"Tom Allen is a good man. A no-nonsense coach stuck in a football program whose administration doesn’t care enough to want to get better. They’ve made some changes in the facilities, but that’s almost because they have to. You can’t sit around while everyone else does it, and sit on that (Big Ten) network money."

"Tom is not a guy who is going to sit around and wait for something to happen. He doesn’t suffer fools. He made that move to bench (Richard) Lagow last year for the freshman (Peyton) Ramsey, and it looked like a heckuva move until Ramsey got hurt. You’re talking about benching a guy who set a lot of records there, and giving the whole show to a freshman. But that’s Tom. He does what he thinks is best for his team."

"They’re going to be really good on offense this year. Going to score a lot of points on the teams in this league. Ramsey is a good player. If you’re completing close to 70 percent of your passes in the first year in this league, you’re doing something right. I never saw him get rattled."

"Tom has been a defensive coach all of his career, so I know it must pain him to see what happens on the field week after week. Because as good as the young guys were on offense, the offense as a whole couldn’t stop turning the ball over. You want to lose games? You want to get a coach fired? Keep being lax with ball security."

"There are a lot of young guys on that team that are going to put up some really good numbers over the next couple of years. It’s not just Ramsey. TB (Morgan) Ellison is a big kid who runs with an attitude, and that quick WR (Whop) Philyor is a player. A solid nucleus of young guys will be fun to watch, and brutal to deal with if you’re a defensive coach in the league."

I’m confused what more people want? It seems like everyone is upset that we didn’t coach shop, yet maybe we liked the guy we have. Fred has made some
really strong hires, some that didn’t pan out, but I think way more good than bad. I’m excited for this season!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

8 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I’m confused what more people want? It seems like everyone is upset that we didn’t coach shop, yet maybe we liked the guy we have. Fred has made some
really strong hires, some that didn’t pan out, but I think way more good than bad. I’m excited for this season!

If he conducted a search and decided Allen was best, that's one thing.  He just said good enough and took the lazy way out.

I don't even dislike Allen, but the way Glass handled that was a joke.

8 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

To not even have a search was a disservice to the players the administration and most of all the fans. 

11 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Tapping Allen for the job right away was the smart move imo. As soon as I saw Wilson was fired I hoped Allen would get the permanent gig.

I'm absolutely baffled that some of the same people on here who say we have an incompetent AD, are also upset that the AD didnt do a wider coaching search. If hes such a bad AD that sounds to me like the last thing I'd want is him leading a coaching search. Dont even get me started on that Archie Miller hiring either. The AD clearly doesnt have a clue. 

There's too much focus on the "24 sports One Team" thing, imo. Sure, the other 22 sports shouldn't be just cast aside, but basketball and football must be taken care of first. Once they're in good shape then go on to the other sports. There's no good reason for the men's basketball locker rooms to just now be getting renovated. 

Basketball and Football are always going to want things they can’t always get stuff. 

Might we had that mentality baseball would still be in the dumps and we wouldn’t have 8 national champs in soccer

more money is not the solution. Look at Archie similar money if not less to Crean   Competency is more important. 

3 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

A good football and basketball program would bring in far more money and positive press than a good baseball and soccer program. There is nothing the basketball and football programs should not have that they want.

No amount of money is the solution what don’t you get about that. Crean was one of the top paid coaches with the highest recruiting budget. 

Throwing money at problems isn’t the answer. If we had done that we would still have a dumpster fire football program and crappy soccer and baseball 

at a certain point enough is enough on for funding. Football has had more than enough

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Basketball and Football are always going to want things they can’t always get stuff. 

Might we had that mentality baseball would still be in the dumps and we wouldn’t have 8 national champs in soccer

more money is not the solution. Look at Archie similar money if not less to Crean   Competency is more important. 

Basketball and football pay for all of the 22 other programs. They are the only two programs that turn a profit each year. If they want something then they should get it. Big time universities understand this. Do you think if Nick Saban goes to his AD and asks for something he gets told "sorry coach, but the field hockey team needs a new locker room. You'll have to wait"? 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Basketball and football pay for all of the 22 other programs. They are the only two programs that turn a profit each year. If they want something then they should get it. Big time universities understand this. Do you think if Nick Saban goes to his AD and asks for something he gets told "sorry coach, but the field hockey team needs a new locker room. You'll have to wait"? 

Unless it’s going to increase there revenue why should they get it. Giving them whatever they want is recipe for waste

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Unless it’s going to increase there revenue why should they get it. Giving them whatever they want is recipe for waste

Okay, so why should the other 22 sports get anything at all when they all lose IU money? It's a total joke that they're just now getting around to renovating the basketball locker rooms.

24 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

They win? 

Your post was about revenue. You didn't say anything about wins. The other 22 sports all lose money. It doesn't matter how much money you pump into them, they're still going to lose money. It's the case across the country. 

So, it's completely rational to pump money into the sports that can make you money. There's a ton of room for growth for IU football. They could make much more money than they currently do.Unfortunately, the university doesn't care enough to make it happen. Don't take it from Iugradman or me, take it from this guy: "Tom Allen is a good man. A no-nonsense coach stuck in a football program whose administration doesn’t care enough to want to get better."

Okay, so why should the other 22 sports get anything at all when they all lose IU money? It's a total joke that they're just now getting around to renovating the basketball locker rooms.

What does the first part have to do with the second part?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app