Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

lucel15

Upcoming season

15 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Your post was about revenue. You didn't say anything about wins. The other 22 sports all lose money. It doesn't matter how much money you pump into them, they're still going to lose money. It's the case across the country. 

So, it's completely rational to pump money into the sports that can make you money. There's a ton of room for growth for IU football. They could make much more money than they currently do.Unfortunately, the university doesn't care enough to make it happen. Don't take it from Iugradman or me, take it from this guy: "Tom Allen is a good man. A no-nonsense coach stuck in a football program whose administration doesn’t care enough to want to get better."

They get money because they win. Football has gotten enough money. If they start winning revenue will go up and they can have more then. 

They can have more money when they can consistently beat teams with budgets a quarter their size. 

Man what is so hard to understand about money not being footballs problem. 6 our of 7 bad hires and obviously the problem is a lack of support. 

IU kneecapped previous head coaches by not giving them the basic resources necessary to win. Mallory and DiNardo asked for better facilities and didn’t get anything.

So what’s the problem with today then? Or is this just something to complain about years past?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

If he conducted a search and decided Allen was best, that's one thing.  He just said good enough and took the lazy way out.

I don't even dislike Allen, but the way Glass handled that was a joke.

9 hours ago, Chris007 said:

To not even have a search was a disservice to the players the administration and most of all the fans. 

I disagree. The players really seem to like him, he fits well with the school and fanbase, and we didn't go get a rental coach like Brohm who is going to jump in a year or two once  a bigger and better program comes around.

I liked the confidence play here. Besides, if we had done a coaching search, we probably would have hired a coaching search firm, and then everyone would gripe about costs.

Regardless, if we see the results on the field, no one will have any reason to care about how a coaching search was/wasn't done. 2018-2019 will be interesting!

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

They get money because they win. Football has gotten enough money. If they start winning revenue will go up and they can have more then. 

They can have more money when they can consistently beat teams with budgets a quarter their size. 

Man what is so hard to understand about money not being footballs problem. 6 our of 7 bad hires and obviously the problem is a lack of support. 

Those sports are irrelevant. Sinking millions of dollars into them, while having your men's basketball team, your school's marque team, using a middle school looking locker room is absurd. This mentality is why the football program has been a joke for decades and basketball has missed the tournament more than its made it the past decade. I expect better from my university. 

1 hour ago, Iugradman said:

The basketball team didn’t miss the tournament once in the 90s. It has missed it six times in the last decade.

Since the 90s. The 90s were the last time this program had any semblance of consistency.

Those sports are irrelevant. Sinking millions of dollars into them, while having your men's basketball team, your school's marque team, using a middle school looking locker room is absurd. This mentality is why the football program has been a joke for decades and basketball has missed the tournament more than its made it the past decade. I expect better from my university. 

The locker room cost next to nothing. If they truly wanted a new one they could get the donations for it within 5 calls. The other sports have nothing to do with the basketball team not getting a new locker room.

34 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Keep moving those goal posts

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Those sports are irrelevant. Sinking millions of dollars into them, while having your men's basketball team, your school's marque team, using a middle school looking locker room is absurd. This mentality is why the football program has been a joke for decades and basketball has missed the tournament more than its made it the past decade. I expect better from my university

It's a university not a pro-sports team. I think Indiana has their priorities properly aligned.

21 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

It's a university not a pro-sports team. I think Indiana has their priorities properly aligned.

College sports is a multi-billion dollar industry. Other schools with much better academic reputations than IU have been able to figure it out. Duke, UVA, Michigan, and Notre Dame to name a few. Why can't IU?

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Other schools with much better academic reputations than IU have been able to figure it out. Why can't IU?

Because it takes 1) time 2) money 3) luck. You can probably count on one hand the number of schools with outstanding academics, an outstanding football program, and an outstanding basketball program. Go ahead and start listing them, Michigan is the only school that immediately comes to mind.

Because it takes 1) time 2) money 3) luck. You can probably count on one hand the number of schools with outstanding academics, an outstanding football program, and an outstanding basketball program. Go ahead and start listing them, Michigan is the only school that immediately comes to mind.

And Michigan is recent. And the fans wanted Beilein gone as soon as 5 years ago.

47 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

They have had two. I would replace luck with competency though. Which we lacked in most sport during the 2000s

Got lucky with Hep and Smith

I think IU has also been very unlucky though too. You say they got lucky with Hep, and we know how that tragically ended (I don't mean to seem to make light of that situation. Somethings are more important than football and obviously what happened to Coach Hep was terrible. Just saying it towards your point).

It seems like every year something terrible happens: competent quarterbacks getting hurt, potential big wins getting lost in overtime by stupid lucky plays or bad calls, losing bowl games by (not) field goals, even Coach Wilson's situation seemed unlucky. And I know that other big time programs can recover from those types of things, but when you are a (below) average program trying to build momentum, those types of things can completely derail you and then kids graduate and you have to start all over again.

I am a huge IUFB fan and I can't imagine being one of those reversible jacket people that love ND football (went to college with a lot of them), but IUFB is also by far the most difficult teams I root for. The highs would be considered mediocre by most standards and often times are that we lost to a good team by a little. The lows are EXTREMELY low though.

All that being sad, I am eternally optimistic and expect good things from the program this year. Hopefully we gain get through the season without one of the extremely low lows and build some momentum. 

Go Hoosiers!

Is it too much to ask for IU to have just one of the three?

One of the top business and music schools in the world (Kelley and Jacobs) as well as other strong programs covering pretty much any academic discipline, massive investments in our medical research (look up Grand Challenges), the second largest student run philanthropic organization in the country (IUDM), and a basketball program with unparalleled history and fan support back on the rise. And guess what? Football has made HUGE strides forward in recent years.

Keep complaining. You’re repeatedly walking into a tree and not seeing the rest of the forest here.

11 minutes ago, Andowen1990IU said:

I think IU has also been very unlucky though too. You say they got lucky with Hep, and we know how that tragically ended (I don't mean to seem to make light of that situation. Somethings are more important than football and obviously what happened to Coach Hep was terrible. Just saying it towards your point).

It seems like every year something terrible happens: competent quarterbacks getting hurt, potential big wins getting lost in overtime by stupid lucky plays or bad calls, losing bowl games by (not) field goals, even Coach Wilson's situation seemed unlucky. And I know that other big time programs can recover from those types of things, but when you are a (below) average program trying to build momentum, those types of things can completely derail you and then kids graduate and you have to start all over again.

I am a huge IUFB fan and I can't imagine being one of those reversible jacket people that love ND football (went to college with a lot of them), but IUFB is also by far the most difficult teams I root for. The highs would be considered mediocre by most standards and often times are that we lost to a good team by a little. The lows are EXTREMELY low though.

All that being sad, I am eternally optimistic and expect good things from the program this year. Hopefully we gain get through the season without one of the extremely low lows and build some momentum. 

Go Hoosiers!

I think you need luck to compete at the highest levels. With our resources there is no reason regardless of luck that we continue to struggle with the OoC games we play

32 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I think you need luck to compete at the highest levels. With our resources there is no reason regardless of luck that we continue to struggle with the OoC games we play

We are yet to resemble a consistent football team. When Wilson was here it was all offense and no defense. No with Allen its all defense and no offense. The offense part begins with the quarterback. We haven't had a good one since Sudfeld and that makes all the difference in the world. 

2 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

We are yet to resemble a consistent football team. When Wilson was here it was all offense and no defense. No with Allen its all defense and no offense. The offense part begins with the quarterback. We haven't had a good one since Sudfeld and that makes all the difference in the world. 

I just dont thats a factor of luck. Thats poor preparedness. 

44 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

One of the top business and music schools in the world (Kelley and Jacobs) as well as other strong programs covering pretty much any academic discipline, massive investments in our medical research (look up Grand Challenges), the second largest student run philanthropic organization in the country (IUDM), and a basketball program with unparalleled history and fan support back on the rise. And guess what? Football has made HUGE strides forward in recent years.

Keep complaining. You’re repeatedly walking into a tree and not seeing the rest of the forest here.

No one is ever going to confuse IU for being one of the top academic institutions in the country.  The WSJ/Times Higher Education just came out with rankings and we were 138th which honestly shocked me.

But I don't think I've ever seen IU in the top 50 on a list like that.

Edit: US News and World Report - 90th

7 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

No one is ever going to confuse IU for being one of the top academic institutions in the country.  The WSJ/Times Higher Education just came out with rankings and we were 138th which honestly shocked me.

But I don't think I've ever seen IU in the top 50 on a list like that.

Edit: US News and World Report - 90th

Those rankings are garbage. Google why college rankings are a joke.