Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

lucel15

Getting Rid of Cable...maybe

On 7/17/2018 at 5:49 AM, lucel15 said:

I’m thinking about just doing away with cable and sticking with WiFi and then get a live streaming thing with sling or someone else......does anyone have any input or use a live stream group?  Just finally getting to the point where cable for $165 a month is starting to get crazy when I don’t watch a lot of tv. 

I have been using Roku for quite awhile and dumped cable. I love it. All you need is internet. You can get regular local tv, ESPN, and a million other channels. It is app driven. I just recently found an IHSAA app. 

I am moving in the next few weeks and debating this option. Its like $30 for internet through XFINITY and $40 for online TV which saves a ton.

My questions are and I am not sure if anyone has the answers:

1. Will streaming TV run close to the 1 terabyte limit companies now have? I know its a ton and no one likely gets near it but once you start streaming all your TV how close can you come?

2. Are the local ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX (WRTV, WTHR, WTTV, WXIN) available through you tube or hulu?

3. Will you tube tv be available since I am technically moving to Fishers and not Indy? It says it is available in Indy but I cannot find if that is city only or entire metro area.

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

I am moving in the next few weeks and debating this option. Its like $30 for internet through XFINITY and $40 for online TV which saves a ton.

1. Will streaming TV run close to the 1 terabyte limit companies now have? I know its a ton and no one likely gets near it but once you start streaming all your TV how close can you come?

2. Are the local ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX (WRTV, WTHR, WTTV, WXIN) available through you tube or hulu?

3. Will you tube tv be available since I am technically moving to Fishers and not Indy? It says it is available in Indy but I cannot find if that is city only or entire metro area.

I just switched to Hulu TV and you can enter in your Zip Code and see all the local channels you get. 

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

I live in southwest Clay Township, annexed by Carmel a few years ago, and I am able to get YouTube tv so it's probably available in Fishers. So far as the terabyte limit is concerned, it's possible to exceed it if you are a heavy user. The Comcast website site can show you a running total of your usage. You can also set email alerts when you reach different thresholds which I find very useful. YouTube has the local network broadcasts for everything except Fox. Not sure why, but it's not there. I use an antenna for local stuff and save the internet usage. Overall, I'm happy with the service and am saving a bunch of money. I've been looking for alternatives to satellite for my mother-in-law in Martinsville and Directv Now looks like a possibility. She's 86 and certain channels are required so some streaming services just won't work. Hope this helps.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:22 PM, Aaron said:

I switched with my move and love it.

$40 for internet and $40 for YouTube TV as oppose to $120 combined for both TV and Internet. I HDMI my computer into my TV to watch You Tube TV and notice no difference from standard cable and all sports channels I watch available in HD. Also got an Antenna for networks and signal is clear and HD and you get every Indy area channel available over the air.  

I highly recommend cutting the cable and going to this option for anyone who is thinking about it. I was skeptical at first but its the best $40 a month savings (will be $25 when internet goes up after a year) you can get. 

I switched with my move and love it.
$40 for internet and $40 for YouTube TV as oppose to $120 combined for both TV and Internet. I HDMI my computer into my TV to watch You Tube TV and notice no difference from standard cable and all sports channels I watch available in HD. Also got an Antenna for networks and signal is clear and HD and you get every Indy area channel available over the air.  
I highly recommend cutting the cable and going to this option for anyone who is thinking about it. I was skeptical at first but its the best $40 a month savings (will be $25 when internet goes up after a year) you can get. 

Very helpful, Aaron. Thanks. I’m also in the Fishers area and was wondering about availability. Comcast just bumped my bill $26 higher and it's time to cut the cord.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Anyone use TiVo?  One thing I love about Directv is the DVR service. I rarely watch live TV anymore. Until I can find a solid DVR platform that works with streaming services, I am sticking with DTV.  I need to research TiVo a bit more before we make any drastic changes. 

2 hours ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Anyone use TiVo?  One thing I love about Directv is the DVR service. I rarely watch live TV anymore. Until I can find a solid DVR platform that works with streaming services, I am sticking with DTV.  I need to research TiVo a bit more before we make any drastic changes. 

DirecTV Now has 20 hours of DVR + an extensive on-demand library. I recently switched to that after dropping cable.

1 hour ago, Naturalhoosier said:

OK...bringing this back to life.  We have DirecTV and looking to get rid of it.  TV has turned into a time-suck so looking for simplicity...but still want to be able to watch my Hoosiers (football and basketball).  Any renewed thoughts?

Ugh, you are annoying!!!

We use Hulu with Live TV.  We enjoy it.  Going to try YouTube TV soon, heard good things.  

On 7/17/2018 at 9:46 PM, tyappleg said:

2nd this. Hulu TV is a great option for IU games. 

I went Hulu and not looking back although the Louisville  game I had to start watching thru Fox2Go app on phone until they switched it. It’s harder to channel surf and no slo motion or PIP but the $50+ savings per month is worth it. With the apps and other options like Amazon prime I am very satisfied. 

I went Hulu and not looking back although the Louisville  game I had to start watching thru Fox2Go app on phone until they switched it. It’s harder to channel surf and no slo motion or PIP but the $50+ savings per month is worth it. With the apps and other options like Amazon prime I am very satisfied. 

The only thing I miss is not having the MLB Network (probably my favorite channel to watch).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

We pay somehow $170ish a month for Dish for America’s 200 and upgrade of local channels for $5 and of course the sports package. We have been talking about doing YouTube TV or PlayStation Vue. That costs is ridiculous. I’m paying over $300 bucks a month in TV and internet service!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

On 12/10/2018 at 7:42 AM, yogisballin said:

We pay somehow $170ish a month for Dish for America’s 200 and upgrade of local channels for $5 and of course the sports package. We have been talking about doing YouTube TV or PlayStation Vue. That costs is ridiculous. I’m paying over $300 bucks a month in TV and internet service!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We were in a similar boat with DirecTV. The nickel and diming was too much. Extra for DVR service, extra for HD service, extra per room charge. Ridiculous. 

PlayStation Vue. Great streaming app. DVR is great. Channel selection is really good. Locals. You can add the app to a Firestick, a PlayStation console, your phone (and watch those March games when time allows at work on your phone...data usage charges apply). I literally tried them all...Vue has been the most stable. Check it out...Google PlayStation Vue...no you don't need a PlayStation console to use or access this service! :)

PS--- If you decide to cut the cord and go the streaming route...please add a decent wireless router to your internet setup. Maybe go with a full-on mesh network and never worry about access coverage again? The expanded network will only make life easier. Good luck!

3 hours ago, Myrmidon76 said:

PlayStation Vue. Great streaming app. DVR is great. Channel selection is really good. Locals. You can add the app to a Firestick, a PlayStation console, your phone (and watch those March games when time allows at work on your phone...data usage charges apply). I literally tried them all...Vue has been the most stable. Check it out...Google PlayStation Vue...no you don't need a PlayStation console to use or access this service! :)

PS--- If you decide to cut the cord and go the streaming route...please add a decent wireless router to your internet setup. Maybe go with a full-on mesh network and never worry about access coverage again? The expanded network will only make life easier. Good luck!

One of the ladies in my office has playstation vue and she says she loves it. Seems to have a pretty good channel selection. We are honestly down to choosing between YouTube TV and PlayStation Vue.