Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

Indiana AD Fred Glass sees a ‘big move’ for Hoosier basketball this coming season

8 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I blame Kelvin Sampson for a lot of the heart ache we Hoosiers have gone through.  How he's still coaching is beyond me. 

And this article is just click bait.  We all know how well last year's bunch of guys played.  They all bought in and got better over the season.  I'm really excited to see how they do this year.

I don’t blame him. We were the idiots who hired a cheater. Then self reported and hired a bad coach simply because he was clean. 

The blame goes on the administration post Knight. They wanted to de-emphasize sports and particularly basketball and they did that.

The hiring of Kelvin Sampson was a back breaker. He was/is an amazing coach but completely lacks in following the rules. Our hiring was said to be a lot about racial perception but he was a deserving coach in every way except that he was a rule breaker. It seems we wanted to win at that time but just got caught.

Crean became the reaction to that hire. Someone that will build a program up and do it “clean”. He mostly did, but he wasn’t a good enough coach to beat blue bloods regularly with stacked rosters in the day and age of shoe money.

So if you follow it all step by step each decision kind of makes sense but they all turned out anywhere from bad to worst cast scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Anyone who watched the team last season and knew what they were watching saw a different team in February than in November/December.   Even losing Davis and Hartman, the team was better, more efficient, and more difficult to play against.    Using the whole season as a barometer for measuring last season's team is foolish.  Clearly, Indiana had players new to their roles AND learning a new system (a 180* change from Crean's system and tolerance of turnovers and poor defense), and it took time.  

Yes.  That is an excuse.  And I hate excuses.  It's also true.   Indiana finished 6th in the Big Ten with talent that would have done well to finish 8th or 9th when healthy.   They were not healthy, and still over achieved.  

Anyone who knows recruiting knows what's happening.  Anyone who understands the game of basketball as most here obviously do can see what's happening.  Fred Glass should be excited, but I don't need to see the AD talking about turnovers and minutiae like that.   Big Picture, Fred.  We are doing very well recruiting locally and balancing talented kids from elsewhere.  Relationships with coaches have been rebuilt.    No chance Langford comes to Indiana to play for Tom Crean.  Zero.  

I am as excited for Indiana Basketball as I have been since 1993.  Since Knight left, for the first time I feel like we have the right guy telling the right story to the right kids and building the program in a way any IU fan can be very proud of.  Regardless of what Tom Davis or anyone else uses as a measuring stick; I do use the eyeball test, and I love what I see on and off the floor.  

Glass didn't screw up the IU Men's basketball team.  You can thank Myles Brand for that, with help from Michael McRobbie, Adam Herbert, that moron Mike McNeeley, and Rick Greenspan.   The story is long and has been told; but all in all, Glass has done far more good than harm to IU Athletics.  We all want football to be better; and I think we are despite being completely screwed by the division we play in.  Basketball is on the rise, and despite my distaste for Tom Crean, he and Glass DID preside over 2 Big Ten champs.  Baseball at IU is at a level unprecedented in my lifetime, as are facilities.  Swimming and soccer are still nationally relevant; and Indiana is a consistent top 10-20 in the President's cup (now the Capital One cup), finishing 9th this past season on the men's side.   I don't agree with anyone who says Fred Glass hasn't done at least a credible job; and I would be willing to bet 8 months from now, IU fans will all be pretty happy.

"No chance Langford comes to Indiana to play for Tom Crean.  Zero. " a truer statement has never been made

The hiring of Mike Davis was the catalyst.   Timeline (abridged version) :

Kinght fired.  Davis hired after John Treloar agrees to take a secondary role instead of co-coach (which, had he taken that position would have almost certainly spawned a full fledged search a year later, knowing we didn't truly have a coach, but co-coaches).  Davis has never before been a head coach at any level in the US.  His first job, in the fish bowl at Indiana.

IU makes BTT final Davis' first year.  NCAA 1st round loss.  Davis hired as permanent replacement without national search and based on nothing but a small run in the BTT and the fact he was "here."  An easy hire.   

IU makes Final Four because we shot well for 3 weeks, ended up with a lucky draw (playing UNC Wilmington and Kent State instead of USC and Pitt or Alabama) and Duke blew a lead.  Davis demands and is granted an extension despite no real experience, horrid in state recruiting, and saying more dumb things than any one man should be allowed in a lifetime.  He complains that he is the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten, despite having by far the least experience.  Jesse Jackson and the NAACP among others become involved, pressuring the IU administration about his contract and his very employment

Predictably, Indiana goes downhill fast, has 14-15 and 15-14 records the next 2 seasons; and he resigns a year later.

Depending on who you believe, Indiana agrees to terms with either Kevin Stallings or John Belien.  Adam Herbert intervenes, insisting Indiana hire a minority coach to replace Davis, and Sampson was recommended to him.   IU hires Kelvin Sampson.  

We know the rest, but THAT is why Indiana is where it is.   We have not yet recovered from hiring Mike Davis.  This is the year, almost 20 years later.   

1 hour ago, Gahoosierfan said:

I would also like to add that you can't overestimate the damage Clarence Doninger did in his ten years  (1991-2001)as AD. 

Help me with this.   Knight was fired by Myles Brand.  Doninger was against that.   The board of trustees recommended the dismissal of Bill Mallory.  Doninger defended Mallory and did for years following his termination.   I know many have a problem with what happened under Doninger's term, but I don't understand why he is frowned upon as much as he is.  The major decisions which took place while he was there were not of his doing.  Over his head.  

On 7/4/2018 at 11:57 AM, Old Friend said:

Help me with this.   Knight was fired by Myles Brand.  Doninger was against that.   The board of trustees recommended the dismissal of Bill Mallory.  Doninger defended Mallory and did for years following his termination.   I know many have a problem with what happened under Doninger's term, but I don't understand why he is frowned upon as much as he is.  The major decisions which took place while he was there were not of his doing.  Over his head.  

I believe Lynch and Davis both happened under his authority. I don't know if the other things you mention were over his head or not. I have never seen anything that would definitively prove that. 

20 minutes ago, Gahoosierfan said:

I believe Lynch and Davis both happened under his authority. I don't know if the other things you mention were over his head or not. I have never seen anything that would definitively prove that. 

Davis was hired as a co coach w Treloar in September, 2000 because there was no time to go find anyone.  (And Brand fired Knight, not Doninger)   Practice started 3-4 weeks later.   Michael McNeeley was hired in March, 2001 and fired in November, 2002.  Davis' permanent hire well after Doninger left.  

Bill Lynch was hired in 2007.   Doninger had been gone 6 years.  Come on, man.   

You have to know history in order to know the details of the events that transpired; and if you don't, you don't.