Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Freddie McSwain - London Lightning (Ontario, Canada)

1 hour ago, IUsafety said:

I am happy for Freddie for pursuing his dream. I still think he would have been a good tight end in the NFL. Wonder if he ever considered it?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I just saw Mo Alie-Cox (sp?) from VCU in an NFL game the other day. Freddie probably could have gotten a shot. He was frustrating, but he was awesome. Wish him the best. 

Freddie's debut with the Moncton Magic was a successful one as the Magic won 110-103.  Don't know how many minutes he played, but he scored 11 pts. on 5-8 FG; 0-1 on 3's; 1-2 FT; 6 reb; 1 asst.  He did pick up 5 fouls.

He’s a bulldog! Those fouls are nothing!!

Haha - glad he had a productive game. I hope him makes it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The Magic spoil Glen "Big Baby" Davis' return to the Avenir Centre. The Moncton Magic (18-8) took the floor yesterday evening to face Central Division leaders, the St John's Edge. After a commanding win over the Saint John Riptide on February 10th, the Magic kept it rolling at home as they were able to hold off the Edge, 109-102.  

The Magic saw many of their players contribute last night. Seemingly every player that checked in, quickly entered the scoring column. Corey Allmond lead all starters with 15 points. Billy White recorded 12 points and 6 rebounds. While Freddie McSwain Jr. was a spark plug off the bench, powering down a couple of rim rattling slams that fired up everybody in attendance. Flight35 finished with 10 points. 

However, once again, Trey Kell stole the show. The rookie proved to Moncton fans that his first game in a Magic uniform was no fluke. Kell played 29 minutes off the bench and nearly recorded a triple-double with 24 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 assists. Earning himself NBLC Line of the Night and his second Player of the Game nod. Though during the post game interview, the San Diego State product was more concerned about his 4 turnovers. This concern goes to show that Kell isn't primarily focused on individual accolades. He has shown to be team oriented, a leader from the point guard position, and strives to be as precise as possible on his decision making, but don't call him a perfectionist. The 22-year-old's main objective is to play smart basketball as he continues to improve and develop his game. 

The Edge were without leading scorer Glen Davis for the majority of this one. The former NBA Champion went down early in the first quarter due to a lower body injury. Davis had 7 points in 4 minutes but did not return to action. 

The Edge saw their players step up in the absence of Glen Davis. Six players scored in double figures as St John's tried to steal one in Moncton. Leading the way for the Edge was Junior Cadougan with 32 points and 6 assists. Obinna Oleka and Desmond Lee both had 14 points apiece and combined for half of St John's total rebounds. While former Magic player Isaiah Tate provided quality minutes off the bench with 11.  

About MONCTON MAGIC Headquartered in Moncton, NB, the MONCTON MAGIC is a professional basketball organization that operates under a licensing agreement with the National Basketball League of Canada (NBLC). The team will play its games in a two-conference league with clubs located in the Provinces of Ontario and Atlantic Canada.

19 minutes ago, Crimson and Cream said:

That second play.......excuse me??? Imagine if he was at this level when he was in Bloomington.

I really wish he had been able to play four years with Archie. He's already come so far from where he was when he started at IU. 

More background on Freddie's move to Brazil.

Former Indiana Hoosier Freddie McSwain Jr. has signed with Botafogo Basquete, a Brazilian professional basketball team that plays under the multi-sport organization Botafogo F.R., who has one of the biggest soccer teams in Brazil The team is named after the coastal region of Rio de Janeiro where they play.

Botafogo Basquete has a deep history within the country with their formation that dates all the way back to 1933. Botafogo currently plays in the top tier league in Brazil known as the NBB (Novo Basquete Brasil). Botafogo finished sixth in the league (12-14 overall record), but lost to Pinheiros in the quarter finals of the 2019 NBB Playoffs.

Freddie McSwain Jr. is coming off of a championship win with the Moncton Magic in Canada’s NBL. Throughout the season, McSwain averaged 8.5 points per game and 5.6 rebounds per game despite having limited minutes on the roster.