Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierX

Big Ten Power Rankings

247 Big Ten Power Rankings

I find it a little crazy how little respect IU is getting in pre season prognostications.  As far as this list, do people forget we finished tied for 6th last year?

The only key contributor we lost was RJ but let’s be honest, Romeo will almost certainly be a better player.

Yet Maryland is going to jump us despite their losses? Wisco jumps us simply because they return all 5 starters? How is Purdue rated so high? I would give any Purdue fan 3 to 1 odds of them finishing higher than us.  Michigan lost 3 of their top 4 scorers and yet they are 2nd?

I think this is the last preseason an archie miller led IU team is overlooked headed into the season.

Edit: I was assuming this is a collaborative 247 ranking based on the contributors but maybe it was just one guy’s opinion

1 hour ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Until i see that Green or Phinisee is going to be a reliable B1G caliber PG, I’m not placing any major bets on us.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

Don’t forget Aljami. I feel the same here honestly. I am excited about the upcoming season and all yet keeping my expectations around the same as last years finish, for now. Although the B1G is down and is really up for anyone’s grab, we will be relying on freshman as well. 

yeah we can't be the favorites unless we have a couple breakouts and Romeo lives up to the hype.  should be a better year and our depth is WAY better but we will need some guys to really elevate their play.  We still lack in knock down shooters.  Romeo will help that.  Phinissee can be a good shooter but he'll be a freshman shooting in the bright lights from more distance.  Anderson is a little bit of a streaky shooter, as is Green.  Durham is streaky or worse.  3 point shooting can win a bunch of games and im not sure we will have it yet.  

8 hours ago, Iugradman said:

According to that prediction, IU will finish lower in the conference than they did last year. OK then. Preseason predictions are meaningless. Let’s wait to play the games first.

Don’t disagree they’re meaningless but there’s not much else to talk about this time of year.

I’m just surprised Archie has one down year and people seem to have forgotten what a good coach he is.

We will compete for the BIG this year.

I'm not getting the Nebrasketball and Maryland hype.

Rutger, Illinois, and Northwestern won't be good. Iowa, Minnesota, Penn State and Ohio State will be on the outside looking in (on the dance).

Wisconsin, Nebrasketball, and Maryland will be solid and should get tourney invites.

The Michigan and Indiana schools will be competing for the Big Ten and high seeds.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Both of those lists are just minor tweaks of last seasons standings. Safe bet, I suppose. The B1G sucked last year and almost all the top teams lost their best players and look to take a step back. MSU, Mich, Ohio St, Purdue all took hits and should drop off. Nebraska has a lot of pieces back, so I understand thinking highly of them. Can they perform up to expectations though? That hasn't been Miles MO. He's a perpetual underdog. I have no idea about Maryland, I know they have talent, but no clue how to project them. I think Illinois will be awful, not fun to play against, but really bad. Iowa has a ton of talent, but Fran doesn't have a lot of interest in defense. 

Being as objective as I can, I think IU is clearly a top 5 team, but definitely has some question marks with so many new faces.

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

Both of those lists are just minor tweaks of last seasons standings. Safe bet, I suppose. The B1G sucked last year and almost all the top teams lost their best players and look to take a step back. MSU, Mich, Ohio St, Purdue all took hits and should drop off. Nebraska has a lot of pieces back, so I understand thinking highly of them. Can they perform up to expectations though? That hasn't been Miles MO. He's a perpetual underdog. I have no idea about Maryland, I know they have talent, but no clue how to project them. I think Illinois will be awful, not fun to play against, but really bad. Iowa has a ton of talent, but Fran doesn't have a lot of interest in defense. 

Being as objective as I can, I think IU is clearly a top 5 team, but definitely has some question marks with so many new faces.

Miles is still the coach at Nebraska, which means they'll look really good sometimes and awful other times. It also means he'll have some players at the end of the bench acting like idiots.

Miles is still the coach at Nebraska, which means they'll look really good sometimes and awful other times. It also means he'll have some players at the end of the bench acting like idiots.
I had almost forgotten about that. The worst

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

They're not playing a game; they are watching a game, and they are trying to make themselves a bigger spectacle than the game. 
I get pissed when a dude walks in front of me during a live ball, I certainly don't want the cameras focused on a bunch of immature walk-ons with front row seats.

Thank you sir and any coach that allows this is, well, a Tim Miles.

Sent from my LG-K371 using BtownBanners mobile app

16 minutes ago, JHoosier914 said:

On the BR thread for Indiana Basketball, Alex Bozich posted a screenshot of Big Tens odds to reach the Final Four (per Westgate Las Vegas Superbook). Indiana ringed in at 3rd best odds at +1000 behind MSU (+450) and Michigan (+700). I know it’s not entirely the same ‘power rankings’ but to me, Vegas has it more on par with what is more likely as they could have a lot of money riding on it.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Vegas odds are actually pretty accurate