Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2019) CG - Anthony Harris to North Carolina

I don’t think 2018 was lackluster. But definitely as of now we have one player who is returning from it expected to contribute that’s Rob. We are hopeful Jerome will. Jake and Romeo are gone. And Damezi probably needs another year. 
2019 was lackluster in my book because I would bet 2 of them are gone in 2 years. TJD and Brunk. We have one long term recruit in Franklin. 
We desperately tried to get another guard because we are going to be very thin there in 2020. And just in our offers we lost out on 9 of 10 most likely the 10th coming soon. That’s just offers we handed out to guards besides Franklin. 
So now even if we have a decent year in 2019 we are a rob injury away from a disappointing 2020 because we won’t have any experienced depth at guard. That’s not how you build sustained success 

There is the difference between us. You are viewing every offer to a guard as a disappointment whereas most of those offers to guards were never going to amount to anything. I only view recruits that step foot on campus for visits as real recruits and those who take official visits as thinking of IU as a real option. IU missed out on Carton, Harris so far and landed Franklin. Probably miss out on Lester. Watching TJD for 4 years in high school I would be very surprised if he is only at IU 2 years. He will have to actually shoot the ball from outside the paint at a consistent level before imo before he is considered a 2 and done. People want him to play the 4 next year. A position that he as played 0 games at while at center grove. Does he need another guard next year? Probably and that has probably been my one complaint from last year not recruiting another guard instead of another post player in the late period. 2020 will probably be where he goes guard heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don’t think 2018 was lackluster. But definitely as of now we have one player who is returning from it expected to contribute that’s Rob. We are hopeful Jerome will. Jake and Romeo are gone. And Damezi probably needs another year. 
2019 was lackluster in my book because I would bet 2 of them are gone in 2 years. TJD and Brunk. We have one long term recruit in Franklin. 
We desperately tried to get another guard because we are going to be very thin there in 2020. And just in our offers we lost out on 9 of 10 most likely the 10th coming soon. That’s just offers we handed out to guards besides Franklin. 
So now even if we have a decent year in 2019 we are a rob injury away from a disappointing 2020 because we won’t have any experienced depth at guard. That’s not how you build sustained success 

Will we be thin at guard in 2020?
Senior - Durham
Junior - Phin, Anderson
Sophomore - Franklin
Freshman - ??

Hopefully, by that point we’re playing a more traditional wing at the 3 and not a third guard or small wing. I’d be happy with a grad transfer or regular transfer to fill in that last guard spot. Also, I’m certain will be after a few guards in the 2020 class.

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Keeling down to North Carolina and Clemson. If he went to NC by my count that would be 7 scholarship guards. Got to think one of the guards (Robinson, black, woods, Francis) looks elsewhere

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That didn't take long to come to fruition!

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Will we be thin at guard in 2020?
Senior - Durham
Junior - Phin, Anderson
Sophomore - Franklin
Freshman - ??

Hopefully, by that point we’re playing a more traditional wing at the 3 and not a third guard or small wing. I’d be happy with a grad transfer or regular transfer to fill in that last guard spot. Also, I’m certain will be after a few guards in the 2020 class.

That leaves us counting on a freshmen or grad transfer to be ready to contribute. We have seen how much of a crapshoot that is. Not the recipe for long term success

That leaves us counting on a freshmen or grad transfer to be ready to contribute. We have seen how much of a crapshoot that is. Not the recipe for long term success

Grad transfers are definitely a crapshoot. I wouldn’t be upset if we snagged a traditional transfer that had to sit next season and then play in 2020.

30 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Seventh Woods transferring. Good ole Roy is “Creaning.”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Ironically, he wood have been the seventh guard at NC that Roy had on roster if he lands Keeling! Would have loved to hear Huckleberry Hound smooth talk through that creaning!!

15 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Why? Why do we need to count on more that 4 guards to contribute? When was the last time we counted on more than 4?

Why? Why do we need to count on more that 4 guards to contribute? When was the last time we counted on more than 4?

In this case calling Anderson a guard and expecting him to play as a guard would be my concern. They planned on turning him into a big guard but sometimes what you want and the reality of the situation are different. This is only my opinion but I don’t see Anderson playing as a guard and if he does IU is in trouble. I still think they get another 2019 guard and even if they don’t they get at least 2 in the 2020 cycle

So Brass - Do you think we need more than 4 contributing guards?

Or do you think (like  USPS) that Anderson is not going to be a contributing guard?

I can understand that a little bit more although I am hopeful he can figure it out.

I was going back through prior rosters and the only 1 season I could see when we had more than 4 was Cody's freshmen year, we had at least 5 or 6 but I am not sure how much each contributed... only 3 scored more than 5 ppg although 5 played at least 8 minutes a game

7 minutes ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

So Brass - Do you think we need more than 4 contributing guards?

Or do you think (like  USPS) that Anderson is not going to be a contributing guard?

I can understand that a little bit more although I am hopeful he can figure it out.

I was going back through prior rosters and the only 1 season I could see when we had more than 4 was Cody's freshmen year, we had at least 5 or 6 but I am not sure how much each contributed... only 3 scored more than 5 ppg although 5 played at least 8 minutes a game

I think Damezi is probably a 3. We need another ball handler. Preferably not a freshmen in 2020. 

I think Archie does too hence the blitz on guards lately. 

Roy wants all 3. Going to sell Harris that Anthony is one and done and keeling will be gone after 1 year. They are hoping the excitement of the Anthony commitment gets Harris to commit on the visit. If Harris makes it out of that visit without committing I feel IU will have a really good shot at landing him

Roy goes 3/3. Keeling committed to UNC