Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2019) CG - Anthony Harris to North Carolina

4 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

I swear, I think we only get 2% of the recruits we want. I don't know, maybe that's good.

Well there is only so many spots and much more recruits. So that will always be the case. Still have a very good class of TJD, Brunk, and Franklin coming in. 

Some schools aim high and don’t miss. Duke.

Some schools aim high and miss sometimes but still get studs.. Kentucky, UNC, Kansas until this year, Arizona.

Then you have schools that seem to land their targets they go after

MSU, Michigan, Ohio State lately, Villanova, and others.

Then we fall in the batch that aims high then seems to lower the bar 3 or 4 times to close out classes.

Our recruiting class is #49 right now. Granted the 2 recruits keeps it low but......

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Some schools aim high and don’t miss. Duke.

Some schools aim high and miss sometimes but still get studs.. Kentucky, UNC, Kansas until this year, Arizona.

Then you have schools that seem to land their targets they go after

MSU, Michigan, Ohio State lately, Villanova, and others.

Then we fall in the batch that aims high then seems to lower the bar 3 or 4 times to close out classes.

Our recruiting class is #49 right now. Granted the 2 recruits keeps it low but......

I agree we need to be in that ohio state area not compring with the big boys.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Maybe they should have offered Holtman a contract he couldn’t turn down. Fred wanted to get the cheapest guy. That’s the “IU way.”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It’s been said a million times Holtman didn’t want the heat and buying people to convince them to do something they didn’t already want to do is a guaranteed failure.

9 minutes ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Maybe they should have offered Holtman a contract he couldn’t turn down. Fred wanted to get the cheapest guy. That’s the “IU way.”

Holtmann went from 25-9 and 15-3 in conference his first year to 20-15 and 8-12 his second year. If that happened to him here people would be talking about how the sky is falling and he couldn't get it done with his own players. The grass isn't always greener on the other side...

I swear, I think we only get 2% of the recruits we want. I don't know, maybe that's good.

Are you talking just this recruiting cycle or both of his recruiting cycle? This cycle has been tough in that department so far although they did land their top target (1a or 1b). Last cycle was a home run in recruits they wanted. They targeted Race early and often and then convinced him to reclassify. They viewed 2 pgs that they at least needed to get one (Garland and Rob) and they landed Rob. Hunter was targeted early and often and IU stole him from Ohio St and Michigan. He landed his top target of the class in Romeo. This cycle he target Francis and Carton as his top guard and missed on both. First go around Harris, Newman, Mann, Franklin and couple others were all bunched into the same group after they missed on carton and they landed Franklin an in-state kid that has improved each year. Not the top target but definitely not a bottom of the barrel recruit. I totally agree this cycle hasn’t gone as planned but the first year they got who they wanted unfortunately the results didn’t show that.

Are you talking just this recruiting cycle or both of his recruiting cycle? This cycle has been tough in that department so far although they did land their top target (1a or 1b). Last cycle was a home run in recruits they wanted. They targeted Race early and often and then convinced him to reclassify. They viewed to pg that they at least needed to get one (Garland and Rob) and they landed Rob. Hunter was targeted early and often and IU stole him from Ohio St and Michigan. He landed his top target of the class in Romeo. This cycle he target Francis and Carton as his top guard and missed on both. First go around Harris, Newman, Mann, Franklin and couple others were all bunched into the same group after they missed on carton and they landed Franklin an in-state kid that has improved each year. Not the top target but definitely not a bottom of the barrel recruit. I totally agree this cycle hasn’t gone as planned but the first year they got who they wanted unfortunately the results didn’t show that.

I agree. I do think it is fair to suggest that the mid season swoon seems to have stalled that year 1 momentum. I have more confidence that Archie can coach better than Crean and it might be that we have to build a winner before we start to hit with kids like we did in year 1.

I agree. I do think it is fair to suggest that the mid season swoon seems to have stalled that year 1 momentum. I have more confidence that Archie can coach better than Crean and it might be that we have to build a winner before we start to hit with kids like we did in year 1.

I think this look is completely fair. I think we get Keion if it didn’t happen. I don’t think it’s doom and gloom yet, but definitely not unicorns and lollipops (although a lollipop sounds good - unless Romeo got ahold of it).

9 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I think this look is completely fair. I think we get Keion if it didn’t happen. I don’t think it’s doom and gloom yet, but definitely not unicorns and lollipops (although a lollipop sounds good - unless Romeo got ahold of it).

I don’t see anyway around it. Archie has to have success next year. He will have a grand total of 4 players that aren’t his in the slightest. With at least 3 of them expected to be contributors to some degree. His other 7-9 players he recruited need to be able to produce 5 guys to field a solid rotation.

No more excuses and no more 1-12 stretches  

End of story. 

28 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Are you talking just this recruiting cycle or both of his recruiting cycle? This cycle has been tough in that department so far although they did land their top target (1a or 1b). Last cycle was a home run in recruits they wanted. They targeted Race early and often and then convinced him to reclassify. They viewed 2 pgs that they at least needed to get one (Garland and Rob) and they landed Rob. Hunter was targeted early and often and IU stole him from Ohio St and Michigan. He landed his top target of the class in Romeo. This cycle he target Francis and Carton as his top guard and missed on both. First go around Harris, Newman, Mann, Franklin and couple others were all bunched into the same group after they missed on carton and they landed Franklin an in-state kid that has improved each year. Not the top target but definitely not a bottom of the barrel recruit. I totally agree this cycle hasn’t gone as planned but the first year they got who they wanted unfortunately the results didn’t show that.

Just throwin' stupid crap out there cause of frustration, kinda like half the posts since Harris committed. I had a weak moment no need to analyze.

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Interesting to see what Jeremiah Francis does. He has been hurt but that’s twice he has been recruited over in his own class plus they have 3 more guards and are going after a grad transfer. Maybe he red shirts. FWIW he was Archie’s first guard offer in the 2019 class

Francis was a top 50 player before getting hurt if I remember correctly. He’s also from Pickerington, Jerome Hunter’s home town. Will be an interesting game of musical chairs if he decommits. 

2 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

As a player I’d rather Quinones anyway, as a person though I’m not as sure.

This one hurts a little but Harris isn’t all that and a bag of chips.

It’s more the appearance of going after guys and losing on the reg.

As a person? Love that.

I don’t see anyway around it. Archie has to have success next year. He will have a grand total of 4 players that aren’t his in the slightest. With at least 3 of them expected to be contributors to some degree. His other 7-9 players he recruited need to be able to produce 5 guys to field a solid rotation.
No more excuses and no more 1-12 stretches  
End of story. 
The green is a cancer excuse needs to go also. People wanted him gone now they changed their tune.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

While I think he is committing to UNC, I'm surprised he would do so after Anthony committed this morning.  It's not just a this year thing....UNC will be able to recruit over him if they wish to.  True blue bloods will.

UNC might be Blue Blood, but they are also yellow belly. Can't stomach competing without cheating to gain an edge. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Holtmann went from 25-9 and 15-3 in conference his first year to 20-15 and 8-12 his second year. If that happened to him here people would be talking about how the sky is falling and he couldn't get it done with his own players. The grass isn't always greener on the other side...

To be fair Holtman also went to the tourney his first two years, as opposed to our zero, and our “green grass side” has gone from saying Archie would get us in the tourney right away  to “Crean guys suck”, “it takes three years to learn the defense”, “Coach K went 0-1,000,000 when he started” etc.  I hope Archie makes things happen but so far I think HR would say Holtman has over achieved while  Archie has underachieved.  

4 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

To be fair Holtman also went to the tourney his first two years, as opposed to our zero, and our “green grass side” has gone from saying Archie would get us in the tourney right away  to “Crean guys suck”, “it takes three years to learn the defense”, “Coach K went 0-1,000,000 when he started” etc.  I hope Archie makes things happen but so far I think HR would say Holtman has over achieved while  Archie has underachieved.  

Holtman has also had the best recruiting class in conference 2 out of 3 years. 

So we are getting smoked on the court and off

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Holtman has also had the best recruiting class in conference 2 out of 3 years. 

So we are getting smoked on the court and off

Don’t be negative. Our class is only 4 behind University of Massachusetts and 9 behind Western Kentucky :) 

On the other hand, TJD/Brunk/Franklin would  be a decent class if we could add a shooter.