Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

Pick 3. Be greedy or whatever you think would best fit.

5 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

so far i'm the only one picking Hurt. 

I presume a lot of people aren't picking him because people think our odds of getting him are low. 

I'm really excited to see how this 3-4 man class works itself out. 

I'd take Hurt in a heartbeat.  I'd prefer he be the only OAD in the class though.  It'd also be nice to know we could pluck the best out of Minny when we wanted.

Here's where I'm at today.

1.  TJD.  Local kid, very talented, in a position of need.  He would be our 5 on the floor.  Day 1 starter.  

2.  Kira Lewis.  Whaaaaaa?!  Yep.  We'll only have 3 guards on the roster, and at least two of them are placeholders until they prove otherwise.  I absolutely put another guard over having another forward like most are doing.  We'll have Smith, Hunter, Anderson, Clifton, Thompson, and Forrester to cover 3/4.  Why Kira over DJ?  Mostly because I've seen Kira play, and he was tremendous.  I'm not doubting Carton's talent, just going with what I know.  Kira can really play, he's fast, crafty.  Understands where to be, scores well.  Helps that he's 6'3", over Carton's 5'10" (no shoes) as measured at the USA thing.  Everyone will say he needs to put weight on.  Yeah, he does, but I'll tell you being lithe kinda fits his playing style.

3.  Watford.  This one was tough.  I'd happily take Carton here also, as even with Lewis we'd only have 4 guards.  And Brooks has really come on strong this year.  Brooks really wants to be a 3, and I just think we're covered there with Smith, Hunter, Anderson, and Clifton (yes, I consider Clifton a 3).  Watford would make a great 4, and even a small-ball 5.  He actually wants to be in there, but can step out to the perimeter also.  Watford's skill set would just make him compatible to so many lineups.  Finally, it looks like 2020 we'll have a shot at some shooting guards like Galloway, Leal, and Morton, so I'm good not taking another guard.  What's nuts is if we got TJD and Watford, then one of TJD, Watford, Justin Smith, or Jerome Hunter will come off the bench (Jerome is not a SG...).  

7 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Here's where I'm at today.

1.  TJD.  Local kid, very talented, in a position of need.  He would be our 5 on the floor.  Day 1 starter.  

2.  Kira Lewis.  Whaaaaaa?!  Yep.  We'll only have 3 guards on the roster, and at least two of them are placeholders until they prove otherwise.  I absolutely put another guard over having another forward like most are doing.  We'll have Smith, Hunter, Anderson, Clifton, Thompson, and Forrester to cover 3/4.  Why Kira over DJ?  Mostly because I've seen Kira play, and he was tremendous.  I'm not doubting Carton's talent, just going with what I know.  Kira can really play, he's fast, crafty.  Understands where to be, scores well.  Helps that he's 6'3", over Carton's 5'10" (no shoes) as measured at the USA thing.  Everyone will say he needs to put weight on.  Yeah, he does, but I'll tell you being lithe kinda fits his playing style.

3.  Watford.  This one was tough.  I'd happily take Carton here also, as even with Lewis we'd only have 4 guards.  And Brooks has really come on strong this year.  Brooks really wants to be a 3, and I just think we're covered there with Smith, Hunter, Anderson, and Clifton (yes, I consider Clifton a 3).  Watford would make a great 4, and even a small-ball 5.  He actually wants to be in there, but can step out to the perimeter also.  Watford's skill set would just make him compatible to so many lineups.  Finally, it looks like 2020 we'll have a shot at some shooting guards like Galloway, Leal, and Morton, so I'm good not taking another guard.  What's nuts is if we got TJD and Watford, then one of TJD, Watford, Justin Smith, or Jerome Hunter will come off the bench (Jerome is not a SG...).  

hmmmmm I kinda like putting Clifton at 3. That's interesting cause he clearly isn't a big although he can block well.

TJD- for me being from center grove he is as local as you can get for a kid. I’ve watched him from freshman year where he just taller then everyone on the court to putting it all together and representing his country for the U-18 team. He has been my top priority for the 2019 class for a couple years now. He would be a great representative for IU. He always makes time for the little kids before the games.

Hurt- the best prospect in my opinion that I have seen this year on the circuits. He makes the game look easy. When I watched he wasn’t really have a great game but by the end he had over 25 points and stuff the stat sheet. When he was having a good game no one had an answer for him. Sweet stroke as well.

Carton-IU really needs another pg in this cycle. I’m all in on RP as pg but he can’t play 40 mins a game and the college game is going to where you are at a major advantage with 2 quality floor generals on your team. As much as I wanted to put Brooks or Watford here a pg is a bigger need.

IU is heavy at the 3,4 spot. A junior Smith and a sophomore Hunter in my opinion will he more productive or about equal to a freshman Brooks or Watford ( again just my opinion). Terry would be my 2nd choice at pg. I was super impressed with how he had control of his team which was loaded with D-1 talent. He shot lights out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I say keep it all in state for 2019

Brooks - possible OAD, but too much talent to let slip away

TJD - awesome 2-3 yr player who will make us more athletic instantly 

Newman - this roster needs more shooters

49 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Personally, I don’t know that IU needs another point guard as much as they need a perimeter shooting guard.  Phinisee, Devonte, and Al IMO give us what we need at the point.

We only have one point on the roster, Phinisee.

From a best-option and fit standpoint, I'm thinking Carton, TJD, and Brooks would be my favorite class. All 5 stars, probably not all one and dones, and locking down the state. If a fourth scholarship opened up, I think we'd need a SG like Newman or Franklin. Imagine a lineup of Carton, Hunter, Brooks, Smith, TJD with a strong bench 

From a best-option and fit standpoint, I'm thinking Carton, TJD, and Brooks would be my favorite class. All 5 stars, probably not all one and dones, and locking down the state. If a fourth scholarship opened up, I think we'd need a SG like Newman or Franklin. Imagine a lineup of Carton, Hunter, Brooks, Smith, TJD with a strong bench 

Carton, TJD, Brooks. If I could add a fourth...Watford.

Trendon, how can you not want to be a part of this. lol!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Carton, TJD, Brooks. If I could add a fourth...Watford.
Trendon, how can you not want to be a part of this. lol!

My unrealistic answer is Brooks, TJD, Hurt.

But Brooks, Carton, and TJD would be absolutely unreal. More realistic but I’m not sure we’ll be THAT lucky.

On 6/8/2018 at 11:38 AM, JSHoosier said:

We only have one point on the roster, Phinisee.

I’d say he’s the only PURE point.  Green and Al are both combo guys who can give you minutes there.  And if Phinisee isn’t ready to start right away, you are going to see quite a few minutes from them.

41 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I’d say he’s the only PURE point.  Green and Al are both combo guys who can give you minutes there.  And if Phinisee isn’t ready to start right away, you are going to see quite a few minutes from them.

Yep still think our best starting line up at least to start the season is Green/Romeo/Smith/Morgan/Fitz

this assumes somebody is ready to be a scorer off the bench. Otherwise I would say Smith off the bench.