Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

scoot

Summer of 2018

22 hours ago, jbell833 said:

I was at HH and from what I saw from the scrimmage ( I know it's a small sample size and it's a SCRIMMAGE), but Green looked to be the same player trying make the impossible passes with all risk very low reward type plays, took a couple quick shots and didn't even look to get Romeo the ball hardly at all. I was never a fan of him last year and he has to prove to me that he can lead this team, otherwise I start RP over him. He won't do anything flashy but he'll do everything asked of him and will make the right plays. This team with its talent/shooting, doesn't need to be making forced plays like it did last year. If I'm Archie I put Green on a VERY short leash. As far as what you said about Hunter, you were spot on. He was checking Romeo and playing physical and looked like he belonged out there just as much as anyone else and is physically ready to handle anything thrown his way.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My question would be what did you see from RP in HH that would make you think that he needs to start over Green and Durham. To me, I didn't see anything from him to make me think he is going to get minutes at the beginning of the year. 

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

My takeaway from (admittedly only) a 15 minute hard played clock-running scrimmage?

Al Durham could end up as the starting point, and Race Thompson is likely the first big off the bench.

If he can hit the perimeter shots regularly I think it has to be him tbh when looking at complete games. The starting lineup should primarily be constructed to make space for Romeo and Morgan and play defense. 

I think the rotation will be a revolving door based on who’s playing well. This team has to much depth to say these are the 8 guys that are getting minutes and that’s it. There will be competition for playing time and that should lead to greater success at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

My question would be what did you see from RP in HH that would make you think that he needs to start over Green and Durham. To me, I didn't see anything from him to make me think he is going to get minutes at the beginning of the year. 

Agreed. I was asked privately what I saw of Rob after my post the other day. My response was basically "He did fine, but I didn't see anything that put him over the other guards." I thought Rob did well with the group he was with, but he's not starter material and to be honest...its ok to let him watch the game, get some playing time, and grow. I will offer that I think Rob is definitely a player that can be used to make Green become better. Rob is definitely good enough to take Green's minutes if he starts playing hero ball..that's the way it should be.

I want the "best" players starting, but too often we discount experience in favor of production (be it offense or defense). As long as Green/Durham show they can run the offense effectively and defend with purpose, let Rob grow and become a force.

Agreed. I was asked privately what I saw of Rob after my post the other day. My response was basically "He did fine, but I didn't see anything that put him over the other guards." I thought Rob did well with the group he was with, but he's not starter material and to be honest...its ok to let him watch the game, get some playing time, and grow. I will offer that I think Rob is definitely a player that can be used to make Green become better. Rob is definitely good enough to take Green's minutes if he starts playing hero ball..that's the way it should be.
I want the "best" players starting, but too often we discount experience in favor of production (be it offense or defense). As long as Green/Durham show they can run the offense effectively and defend with purpose, let Rob grow and become a force.

McRob started like 80% of the games last year, and he averaged like 4 points a game or something, but coach said he just “couldn’t keep him off the court.”

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, Myrmidon76 said:

Why is he not starter material? What are the skills that he lacks? Or is it that he is solid but doesn't have any elite skills? Isn't overly athletic?  I'm genuinely curious as I have never seen him play.

I ask because I feel like it was practically gospel for months that Rob was underrated and would be a major contributor this year.  I'm also curious if Old Friend has seen him play at all since he's been at IU.

1 hour ago, HoosierX said:

Why is he not starter material? What are the skills that he lacks? Or is it that he is solid but doesn't have any elite skills? Isn't overly athletic?  I'm genuinely curious as I have never seen him play.

I ask because I feel like it was practically gospel for months that Rob was underrated and would be a major contributor this year.  I'm also curious if Old Friend has seen him play at all since he's been at IU.

Because IMO he is not nearly ready for it. Do I think he will end up a 2-3 year starter yes but do I think he will start his freshman year over a returning junior starter no I don't. But of course, I have been wrong before. 

On 10/4/2018 at 9:32 AM, Stuhoo said:

My takeaway from (admittedly only) a 15 minute hard played clock-running scrimmage?

Al Durham could end up as the starting point, and Race Thompson is likely the first big off the bench.

I’ve said all along I think Al is a hoss. Hope I’m right.

Pre-season predictions for all kinds of stuff by 18 B1G beat writers. IUBB picked third in average of poll, and Romeo is the unanimous B1G freshman of the year. Juwan finishes fifth in POY predictions to sneak onto the pre-season 1st team:

Big Ten media 2018-19 media poll : Sheet1

Michigan State Michigan State Michigan Michigan State Indiana Michigan State Michigan Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Purdue Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State Michigan State

Indiana Michigan Michigan State Nebraska Michigan State Michigan Michigan State Wisconsin Michigan Michigan Purdue Michigan State Michigan Michigan Michigan Michigan State Michigan Michigan Michigan Michigan Michigan Michigan Michigan State Michigan Michigan Michigan Michigan

Nebraska Indiana Wisconsin Michigan Michigan Nebraska Indiana Indiana Indiana Indiana Michigan Wisconsin Nebraska Nebraska Indiana Maryland Nebraska Indiana Nebraska Nebraska Maryland Purdue Michigan Nebraska Nebraska Indiana Nebraska

Michigan Nebraska Purdue Indiana Wisconsin Indiana Wisconsin Michigan Purdue Purdue Nebraska Indiana Indiana Maryland Maryland Indiana Wisconsin Nebraska Maryland Wisconsin Indiana Maryland Indiana Indiana Purdue Nebraska Wisconsin

Wisconsin Purdue Indiana Purdue Nebraska Wisconsin Nebraska Ohio State Nebraska Nebraska Indiana Nebraska Wisconsin Wisconsin Nebraska Nebraska Indiana Maryland Indiana Purdue Wisconsin Indiana Ohio State Purdue Indiana Purdue Purdue

Minnesota Maryland Nebraska Minnesota Purdue Purdue Purdue Purdue Maryland Wisconsin Wisconsin Maryland Minnesota Indiana Minnesota Purdue Maryland Purdue Purdue Indiana Nebraska Wisconsin Wisconsin Maryland Wisconsin Maryland Indiana

Purdue Wisconsin Maryland Penn State Maryland Ohio State Ohio State Nebraska Wisconsin Maryland Maryland Penn State Maryland Purdue Purdue Ohio State Iowa Wisconsin Wisconsin Minnesota Purdue Minnesota Maryland Minnesota Maryland Wisconsin Iowa

Ohio State Ohio State Ohio State Wisconsin Iowa Maryland Maryland Minnesota Ohio State Minnesota Minnesota Purdue Purdue Penn State Wisconsin Wisconsin Purdue Ohio State Penn State Maryland Iowa Ohio State Northwestern Iowa Iowa Ohio State Ohio State

Iowa Minnesota Minnesota Iowa Ohio State Iowa Iowa Iowa Penn State Penn State Ohio State Ohio State Iowa Ohio State Iowa Northwestern Ohio State Minnesota Ohio State Penn State Penn State Iowa Penn State Wisconsin Minnesota Penn State Minnesota

Maryland Iowa Iowa Northwestern Northwestern Minnesota Penn State Maryland Minnesota Ohio State Iowa Minnesota Ohio State Northwestern Ohio State Minnesota Minnesota Penn State Iowa Ohio State Illinois Nebraska Iowa Penn State Ohio State Iowa Maryland

Penn State Penn State Penn State Maryland Minnesota Northwestern Minnesota Northwestern Iowa Iowa Penn State Iowa Penn State Iowa Northwestern Iowa Penn State Iowa Minnesota Iowa Ohio State Northwestern Nebraska Northwestern Penn State Northwestern Northwestern

Illinois Northwestern Illinois Ohio State Penn State Penn State Northwestern Penn State Northwestern Northwestern Illinois Rutgers Illinois Minnesota Penn State Penn State Northwestern Illinois Northwestern Northwestern Minnesota Illinois Minnesota Ohio State Illinois Minnesota Penn State

Northwestern Illinois Northwestern Illinois Illinois Illinois Illinois Rutgers Illinois Illinois Northwestern Northwestern Northwestern Illinois Illinois Illinois Illinois Northwestern Illinois Illinois Northwestern Penn State Illinois Illinois Northwestern Illinois Illinois

Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Illinois Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Illinois Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers Rutgers

VOTER Brendan Quinn Adam Jardy Bill Landis Graham Couch Dylan Burkhardt Nick Baumgardner Alex Bozich Zach Osterman Emily Giambalvo Patrick Stevens Audrey Snyder David Jones Joshua Newman Jerry Carino Marcus Fuller Chad Leistikow Jim Polzin Scott Richey Chris Basnett Nathan Baird Jeremy Werner Brian Neubert Teddy Greenstein Mark Emmert Shannon Ryan Christopher Heady Jeff Potrykus

POY Ethan Happ Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Ethan Happ Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Carsen Edwards Charles Matthews Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards

FOY Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford

All-Big Ten First Team
Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Charles Matthews Carsen Edwards Anthony Cowan Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards Carsen Edwards

Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Ethan Happ Cassius Winston Nick Ward Cassius Winston Carsen Edwards James Palmer Jr. Ethan Happ Cassius Winston Romeo Langford Anthony Cowan Ethan Happ Ethan Happ James Palmer Jr James Palmer Jr.

Cassius Winston James Palmer Jr James Palmer James Palmer Anthony Cowan Jr. Cassius Winston Cassius Winston Cassius Winston Cassius Winston Cassius Winston Cassius Winston James Palmer James Palmer Cassius Winston James Palmer Jr. James Palmer Jr Ethan Happ James Palmer Jr Ethan Happ James Palmer Jr Charles Matthews Ethan Happ Ethan Happ James Palmer Jr Juwan Morgan Nick Ward Ethan Happ

James Palmer Juwan Morgan Nick Ward Nick Ward James Palmer James Palmer James Palmer James Palmer Jordan Murphy James Palmer Jordan Murphy Juwan Morgan Juwan Morgan Nick Ward Jordan Murphy Carsen Edwards Juwan Morgan Jordan Murphy Nick Ward Juwan Morgan James Palmer Jr. Nick Ward Isaiah Livers Nick Ward Cassius Winston Ethan Happ Juwan Morgan

Jordan Murphy Cassius Winston Charles Matthews Juwan Morgan Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Romeo Langford Juwan Morgan Juwan Morgan Charles Matthews Romeo Langford Zavier Simpson Nick Ward Anthony Cowan Ethan Happ Ethan Happ James Palmer Jr. Ethan Happ Charles Matthews Cassius Winston Ethan Happ Cassius Winston Romeo Langford Jordan Murphy James Palmer Jr. Juwan Morgan Jordan Murphy

1 hour ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Fun fact, looking at the All Big Ten First Team, no voter had both Romeo and Juwan in their five-man roster, but nearly 2/3 had Juwan or Romeo on their team.

HAHAHA I was going through it all looking at that same thing... could have saved me some eye strain to read your post beforehand!!!

Don’t usually get personal, but the dude picking Purdue to win the conference is officially a moron. There is no rational argument, none, for that unless he thinks Edwards is gonna be Russell Westbrook. Actually, now that I think about it, not even then.

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Carsen Edwards is so overrated 

I have to admit, I don't understand this sentiment.  He averaged almost 20 points a game on a fairly talented team, and there really aren't many things that he doesn't do well.  

Probably undersized to be successful in the NBA as he isn't really a point guard, but he is an outstanding college player.