Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

scoot

Summer of 2018

4 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Well if they embellished it, it didn’t really happen.

Anyway, he clearly has some hops and is it possible that he jumps higher than any basketball player ever, sure, but likely, no.

Not saying it is impossible to believe, just very hard. Hope this means he won’t have his layups blocked anymore

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

As a point of order he tied two other players. So hardly higher than anybody ever. But if you feel the need to misrepresent it to make your position more secure have at it i suppose

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Chris007 what are your thoughts on this?

I don't have any thoughts on it. I have thought all summer that he has made the biggest jump from last season. But yes he jumps high :-) but we don't get any extra points for it. I have no idea if they do it exactly the same as the NBA does. 

37 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Isn't the normal measurement a standing vertical? In the video it looks like Smith had a running start.

So this is how they do it at the NBA combine it looks like. 

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

What’s the value in lying here. Very little to gain by lying but if come the combine Smith is only doing 42 inches that’s a lot of egg on their faces. 

Also saw the below tweet that Morgan improved his vertical by 10+ inches. I did not expect Marshall to be another charlatan strength coach so hopefully we see these eye popping improvements on the court this year.

38 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Isn't the normal measurement a standing vertical? In the video it looks like Smith had a running start.

I'm with this right here. If I recall, the freshman were on video earlier in the summer showing a standing vertical. You can clearly hear Smith get a head start. That being said, Smith did outleap Forrester for the tip in the scrimmage...and Jake is no slouch about getting up.

1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Also saw the below tweet that Morgan improved his vertical by 10+ inches. I did not expect Marshall to be another charlatan strength coach so hopefully we see these eye popping improvements on the court this year.

Seems to be much more science based from what I have seen. But lying about gains your players make is an extremely short term strategy. These kids talk and other coaches talk to them. 

1 minute ago, Myrmidon76 said:

I'm with this right here. If I recall, the freshman were on video earlier in the summer showing a standing vertical. You can clearly hear Smith get a head start. That being said, Smith did outleap Forrester for the tip in the scrimmage...and Jake is no slouch about getting up.

Standing vertical and max vertical are both measured at the combine

Why do I get the feeling we are going to be stressing about Smith and possibly hunter returning next year. 

We won’t. Morgan and Langford are all big ten and maybe BTPOTY candidates. If we also have both Hunter and Smith playing at a first round draft pick level then we had a monster year and will have all the momentum to reload next year

11 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

We won’t. Morgan and Langford are all big ten and maybe BTPOTY candidates. If we also have both Hunter and Smith playing at a first round draft pick level then we had a monster year and will have all the momentum to reload next year

You just love those logical fallacy. Just because 2 players are going to play well doesn’t mean two others won’t also. 

And they don’t have to play to that level to get drafted. NBA loves potential lol probably more than actual performance.