Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

scoot

Summer of 2018

4 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Is there a difference between IU's max vertical and the combine vertical?

Oladipo had a 42 inch vertical at the combine and there is no chance Justin Smith's vertical is 6 inches better than Oladipo's.

So I'm assuming I'm missing something.

He did indeed do just that. So yep there was a chance

Oladipo had a 42 inch vertical at the combine and there is no chance Justin Smith's vertical is 6 inches better than Oladipo's.

Yeah, I’m really confused by that 48” number.

Here’s a random source, but there’s clearly a lot of research behind it... http://theexercisers.com/how-to-increase-vertical-jump/average-vertical-jump/highest-vertical-jump-in-nba/

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

He did indeed do just that. So yep there was a chance

OK.

We can make a bet then. If Justin Smith makes it to the combine, he won't get within 4 inches of that.  

10 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

No matter what source you look at I haven’t found anything over 46” and nothing over 42/43” from an actual combine

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

I'm sorry but there is little to no chance he has a better vertical by multiple inches than every player currently in the NBA.

That's why I was wondering if they're measured differently.

I'm sorry but there is little to no chance he has a better vertical by multiple inches than every player currently in the NBA.
That's why I was wondering if they're measured differently.

Really not sure, but this definitely feels a bit inflated. I’m sure he’s still jumping out of the gym, but 48” makes him the greatest jumper in all of basketball history. There’s gotta be a catch...

Hes 6 foot 7 inches. So if he got just the top of his head to the rim thats 41 inches in the video it looks like his chin is above the rim. 
Seems legit to me. Now they could have lowered the basket i suppose but i really doubt it

The video angles don’t actually give a clear view of that. In the rim cam angle it certainly doesn’t look like his head is very far above, if at all above, the rim. 6” more than the rest of the NBA seems a bit ludicrous

2 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

The video angles don’t actually give a clear view of that. In the rim cam angle it certainly doesn’t look like his head is very far above, if at all above, the rim. 6” more than the rest of the NBA seems a bit ludicrous

Its not 6 more than the rest of the NBA. Diallos was 44.5 last year. 

Its not 6 more than the rest of the NBA. Diallos was 44.5 last year. 

Here, you can go look at every max vert from the combine since 2000-2001. 48” is an outlier and certainly suspect.

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-strength-agility/#!?sort=MAX_VERTICAL_LEAP&dir=1&SeasonYear=2005-06&CF=POSITION*E*

Curious as to why you dont think there was no chance to leap higher?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Here, you can go look at every max vert from the combine since 2000-2001. 48” is an outlier and certainly suspect.

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-strength-agility/#!?sort=MAX_VERTICAL_LEAP&dir=1&SeasonYear=2005-06&CF=POSITION*E*

I’m looking at video that strongly supports it. That’s why

I’m looking at video that strongly supports it. That’s why

I watched the same video from an angle above the rim that looks like his head gets right around the top of the rim. Wouldn’t be surprised if he did something extreme like 43”-44”, but 48” blows all current NBA players and combine results out of the water by an extreme margin.

5 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I watched the same video from an angle above the rim that looks like his head gets right around the top of the rim. Wouldn’t be surprised if he did something extreme like 43”-44”, but 48” blows all current NBA players and combine results out of the water by an extreme margin.

Chris007 what are your thoughts on this?

11 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

You just have to stop and think, does Justin smith have the highest vertical in college and nba history?

That’s what 48 inches is

Why couldn’t he?  What about him precludes him from having it. 

Dude with the highest IQ in the world doesn’t even have a degree from community college let along a PhD. Stranger things have happened

Why couldn’t he?  What about him precludes him from having it. 
Dude with the highest IQ in the world doesn’t even have a degree from community college let along a PhD. Stranger things have happened
This is my thought. Could they have embellished it? Sure. But to me, to entirely dismiss that it happened or there is no way he could have jumped higher than VO, I dont understand.

This is my thought. Could they have embellished it? Sure. But to me, to entirely dismiss that it happened or there is no way he could have jumped higher than VO, I dont understand.

Well if they embellished it, it didn’t really happen.

Anyway, he clearly has some hops and is it possible that he jumps higher than any basketball player ever, sure, but likely, no.

Not saying it is impossible to believe, just very hard. Hope this means he won’t have his layups blocked anymore

10 hours ago, HoosierX said:

Isn't the normal measurement a standing vertical? In the video it looks like Smith had a running start.