Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Saw this AM that he is transferring and has 2 years left as a grad transfer....any smoke here? Seems like a perfect position for us to take on yet another grad transfer, being that he is a linebacker and was a US Army All American out of HS.  Other thing I was curious about was how many more schollies we have to give? 

9 hours ago, Hoosier116 said:

Saw this AM that he is transferring and has 2 years left as a grad transfer....any smoke here? Seems like a perfect position for us to take on yet another grad transfer, being that he is a linebacker and was a US Army All American out of HS.  Other thing I was curious about was how many more schollies we have to give? 

We have like 1 scholly left and I would say coaches will pursue hunter Johnson unfortunately. Not to make that sound bad, but I would like to have an experienced Lb line up....but Kirkland had many injuries during his career so that might be why we aren’t hearing or seeing anything. I’d be happy with either but maybe more happy if we could add him to the young Lb core. 

17 hours ago, lucel15 said:

We have like 1 scholly left and I would say coaches will pursue hunter Johnson unfortunately. Not to make that sound bad, but I would like to have an experienced Lb line up....but Kirkland had many injuries during his career so that might be why we aren’t hearing or seeing anything. I’d be happy with either but maybe more happy if we could add him to the young Lb core. 

That makes sense! I figured we had to be close to being out of scholarships. And the chance to get a five star in state qb probably takes precedence over a linebacker.  Will be interesting to see what shakes out!

2 hours ago, Hoosier116 said:

That makes sense! I figured we had to be close to being out of scholarships. And the chance to get a five star in state qb probably takes precedence over a linebacker.  Will be interesting to see what shakes out!

Yeah and both experience wise I mean a 2 for 2 in DK. And then you have hunter who if he chose IU he would be RS his transfer year (that can happen right?) not sure about rules in today’s world....but he has at least 3 yrs of playing left if he can RS. If not he has 3 years and plays 2 if he can beat out penix ( I am very high on him, I think he can be a game changer we want)

The question for me is can we get enough quality talent and depth to compete with the top of the division or are we always going to be stuck in the 5 to 7 win area year after year. I have never understood why IU can't consistently be as good or better than the Iowa and Northwesterns. Outside of Michigan, Ohio State, and maybe Penn State we should be right there most years.

14 hours ago, cthomas said:

The question for me is can we get enough quality talent and depth to compete with the top of the division or are we always going to be stuck in the 5 to 7 win area year after year. I have never understood why IU can't consistently be as good or better than the Iowa and Northwesterns. Outside of Michigan, Ohio State, and maybe Penn State we should be right there most years.

That's the problem though, we'll be competing for, at best, 4th place in our own division. 

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

That's the problem though, we'll be competing for, at best, 4th place in our own division. 

You're right about that and honestly I didn't even think about what I just said. I've spent the day listening to the "500" and it's like trying to beat Penske at Indianapolis. No matter how good you are, you're competing for what's left.

On 5/27/2018 at 1:35 PM, HoosierAloha said:

And this will be true for eternity as long as the conference doesn't change it.  The divisions are completely unbalanced and it's sickening for IU, Maryland, and Rutgers.  MSU and IU are 4 and 5 at best every year and it sucks.

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

And this will be true for eternity as long as the conference doesn't change it.  The divisions are completely unbalanced and it's sickening for IU, Maryland, and Rutgers.  MSU and IU are 4 and 5 at best every year and it sucks.

They need to redivide the conference so badly it's not even funny. Instead of an East west I wonder what a North South would look like. 

23 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

They need to redivide the conference so badly it's not even funny. Instead of an East west I wonder what a North South would look like. 

I've actually played around with that.  The best (and most balanced) geographically designed divisions I came up with were :

North :  Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Rutgers, Nebraska, Iowa

South :   Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Maryland, Northwestern, Penn State

I might just re-do them based on nothing more than a need for balance and do this :

Big Ten 1 :  Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota

Big Ten 2 :  Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers

Either way, they are completely out of balance now.

29 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

I've actually played around with that.  The best (and most balanced) geographically designed divisions I came up with were :

North :  Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Rutgers, Nebraska, Iowa

South :   Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Maryland, Northwestern, Penn State

I might just re-do them based on nothing more than a need for balance and do this :

Big Ten 1 :  Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota

Big Ten 2 :  Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland, Illinois, Rutgers

Either way, they are completely out of balance now.

Blame Michigan and their blow hard alumni base's influence on the conference. God forbid the OSU-UM game is played twice, or they have a protected crossover game against MSU while OSU doesn't. Michigan State should go west for Purdue. It's as simple as that.