Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Hovadipo

Coach Bill Mallory

Very saddened to see this. I was in school from 1986-91 (I was on the five-year plan) when we were pretty doggone good in football. Bill Mallory was the reason why. Getting Dave Schnell and Anthony Thompson to commit was a pretty big coup and got us on the way to being relevant in the B1G -- for a few years anyway. Prayers to Bill and his family. 

21 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Very saddened to see this. I was in school 1986-91 (I was on the five-year plan) when we were pretty doggone good in football. Bill Mallory was the reason why. Getting Dave Schnell and Anthony Thompson to commit was a pretty big coup and got us on the way to being relevant in the B1G -- for a few years anyway. Prayers to Bill and his family. 

Yup - I started at IU during the sad Sam Wyche year, and by my senior year I was on the field in the rain tearing down post-Michigan win goalposts.

Dem Hoosiers would run through a wall for Coach Mallory.

RIP, coach ... There aren't many highlights from more than 100 years of IU football, but you're responsible for about 90 percent of them ... I'll never forget watching the Michigan State game at my IU apartment in 1987, knowing that if we won, we were headed to the Rose Bowl. ... I figured it was a longshot (particularly because our QB1 was out because of an appendectomy), but I couldn't believe that with just one win, WE WOULD GO TO THE ROSE BOWL!  

Thanks for the memories, Bill. Rest in peace -- you've earned it. Prayers to your family. 

Sad to hear about his passing. I was born in 1990 so I don’t have any real memories of his tenure but I’ve heard lots of great stories.

This is a little off topic but all three of his sons are great football minds as well. It appears the three of them played at Michigan during his tenure at IU. Anyone that followed the program back then know why neither of his sons played for him at IU? I understand the draw of Michigan back then but it struck me as odd reading that today.

The IU Family will host a celebration to honor the life of legendary Coach Bill Mallory inside Memorial Stadium at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday.

The event is open to the public with seating in the East stands. The East Gates will open at 12:30 p.m. ET. Parking is available and free in Gates 4 and 12.

Visitation is from 3-8 p.m. on Friday, June 1, at Allen Funeral Home - 4155 S. Old State Rd. 37, Bloomington, IN 47408.

The memorial service is at 10 a.m. on Saturday, June 2, at First United Methodist Church – 219 E. 4th St., Bloomington, IN 47408.

In lieu of flowers, the Mallory family encourages your consideration in Coach Mallory's memory to one of the following organizations:

-Indiana University Football in care of IU Foundation – myiu.org
            -Boys & Girls Club of Bloomington – bgcbloomington.com
            -Indiana State Football – honorbillmallory.com