Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

#IUBASE - 2018 B1G Tournament

This park as I have said is worst for hitting home runs. Miller and Bradley have had HR's held in by the park today that would be out of most places. Even Gorski's HR that was absolutely bombed was only a couple rows out in left. It reminded me of Javy Baez's game winning HR to open playoffs year Cubs won world series a couple years ago where wind was blowing in at Wrigley and what should of been on Waveland was in basket. I thought Gorski's HR would clear stands and barely got out.

Wow! Again if nothing else we have guts. Like the Maryland game we flat out stole this. Not sure what this does for us since we burned pitchers and are still a number 2 seed in NCAA tourney win or lose today. That doesn't change unless we win whole tourney and even then maybe not and doubt we have pitching left to do that after today.

With that said glad we kept our streak of winning at least one Big Ten game in tourney alive and if nothing else gives us confidence moving forward. Who would of thought Cole Barr and Wyatt Cross of all people off the bench would provide the game winning hits and big plays in 10th. They always say good teams find ways to win and bad teams find ways to lose and this held true today as we are a good team and MSU a bad team. Need Herrin to go deep more than ever tomorrow as we are pretty much out of inning eating guys after that besides maybe Saalfrank who is hit or miss.  

6 hours ago, Aaron said:

This park as I have said is worst for hitting home runs. Miller and Bradley have had HR's held in by the park today that would be out of most places. Even Gorski's HR that was absolutely bombed was only a couple rows out in left. It reminded me of Javy Baez's game winning HR to open playoffs year Cubs won world series a couple years ago where wind was blowing in at Wrigley and what should of been on Waveland was in basket. I thought Gorski's HR would clear stands and barely got out.

Gorski's homer went about 20 rows up. 

7 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Gorski's homer went about 20 rows up. 

I realized that later. I didn't realize it bounced back after hitting higher up until I saw a replay. Either way as I said this park is not conducive to Home Runs and its worse for game at night as announcers alluded to in our first game and todays game is at night. Good news is Illinois is a power team as well who tries for a lot of Home Runs with Spillane, Taylor and Turchin so we are even there as well.    

Tonight we face the Sunday guy for Illinois Weber who we beat up for 6 runs against Herrin. That gives us at least 50-50 odds if we are there mentally. Also PU and Minny moved on so there is 3 wins to be had against them if we can win it all which is a ton of RPI points. Don't think we have the pitching to do it after today but we got the path we needed to get enough points to move into top 16 to host if enough other games break our way. I don't expect this and at most think we get today's game and lose to PU with most likely Saalfrank tomorrow but since we will have the 2 best RPI teams (besides us) over the weekend the points are out there we need.

Here's what we need in other games to possibly move up to top 16 in RPI:

16. Jacksonville loss to Stetson

17. UConn loss to East Carolina

18. USF is done so any wins moves us closer

19. NC St loss to FSU

20. Duke loss to Louisville

21. Tennessee Tech has all awful teams in their conference and their wins are worth almost 0 RPI points so any wins by us will move us closer and I believe winning whole Big Ten Tourney will pass them.

22. Texas is done so any wins moves us close

23. Coastal Carolina losing to South Alabama or Georgia Southern twice.

24. We are at 24 RPI and need to win Big Ten tourney

I am still not sure all of these scenarios going our way will be enough but its the only way there MAY be enough RPI points available for top 16. It starts tonight. In other words I don't expect us to host and be content playing as a 2 seed somewhere in the deep south probably but I thought I would put out our prayer chance scenario (no close by hosts this year).  

Looks like our hero's from yesterday (Barr and Cross) getting the nod over Ashley and Fineman. Interesting. Also OSU and UM just went to 9th so may start a few minutes late again but we will see. We are road team again tonight since each team has been home and away same amount so tie breaker is higher seed which is Illinois. Would be home against PU in first game tomorrow if we win tonight. 

2 minutes ago, ccgeneral said:

@IndianaBase: First pitch official time is 9 p.m. ET.

Figured. Despite telling us they need 45 min minimum between games its become clear over first 3 days they actually need at least 60 and will move to top of next hour if game before runs over at all. Unlike Wednesday not that upset about it since its still an hour and a half earlier start than Wednesday night and also its Saturday tomorrow so I can sleep late.

Clearly Ty Weber is the best medicine to our struggling offense. Like the regular season where we pounded him on Sunday and won 9-2 after struggling on offense all weekend, tonight we already lead 2-1 and have 4 hits through 2 innings after nothing early in first 2 games. 

Sowers launches a really far solo shot to left even further up the bleachers than Gorski yesterday and its 3-1 in the 3rd. Bad news for us is it chases Weber who may have been slightly injured on the pitch as well. Ball flying much better tonight than I have seen ever in this park (Illinois had a routine shot off the wall last inning as well). 

Kaletha misplays a ball in shallow center only to recover and make a spectacular catch falling backwards to save disaster. Than later in the inning Herrin gets Spillane by paining the outside corner to end the 3rd. 3-1 IU after 3!

15 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Kaletha misplays a ball in shallow center only to recover and make a spectacular catch falling backwards to save disaster. Than later in the inning Herrin gets Spillane by paining the outside corner to end the 3rd. 3-1 IU after 3!

Ugh. We've held Spillane in check all year but not this time as he delivers a 3 run HR even farther than Sowers and Illinois now leads 4-3 in 5th. 

Herrin departs and Saalfrank enters. Not sure what Lemonis' plan is if we win tonight since he has used all our inning eaters last 2 games but as i learned you can only worry about the current game at the current time and figure out future games later.

Again ball carrying well for first time ever in this park as Kaletha launches a HR that barely cleared wall in right. Announcer just said IU is first team this year to hit 2 home runs in same game in this park with Sowers and Kaletha. It's 4-4 after 6.5 innings.