Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

2018-2019 Rotation Discussion Thread

This is where I am as well with the starting lineup and then I believe there are three groups that follow:
Group One (5): First-Off the Bench & Solid Minutes (10-20 Min/G)
-McRoberts, Race Thompson, Durham, Phinisee, and Hunter
Group Two (2): Limited Minutes (Potential Redshirt?) (
-Anderson and Forrester
Group Three (2): Unknowns until the Fall/Winter (TBD)
-Davis and Moore

I think Durham is going to get lost in the mix this year. I will be surprised if Phinisee isn't starting by B1G season as he's a throwback PG who is looking to direct the team and not a score first PG like Green. Unless Green has made major strides and can become more consistent and limit the mental lapses, I don't think he can hold the starting spot down. We aren't gonna need his scoring this year and will be better served with a PG who is looking to get others involved and create open looks like Rob can. Also I think Hunter would be the first off the bench...I think many people are forgetting he's a top 50 recruit and has A LOT of potential and will be battling Smith for a starting spot from the get go. I think we've gotten used to the low expectations from Creans recruiting classes coming in their first years and are still holding onto low expectations but I don't think that'll be the case...Archie's first ever group is much more talented/athletic than what we're used to and will have them ready to go from the start.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My prediction for starting lineup:
1. Green
2. Langford
3. Smith
4. Morgan
5. Fitzner
Fitzner will not start imo. Mcroberts will instead. I also believe we will only go 8 deep with Durham, race, and Rob p off the bench. I do t see minutes for Anderson or Forrester this year.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

This is where I am as well with the starting lineup and then I believe there are three groups that follow:
Group One (5): First-Off the Bench & Solid Minutes (10-20 Min/G)
-McRoberts, Race Thompson, Durham, Phinisee, and Hunter
Group Two (2): Limited Minutes (Potential Redshirt?) (
-Anderson and Forrester
Group Three (2): Unknowns until the Fall/Winter (TBD)
-Davis and Moore

Why do you think we will go 10 deep? Most teams do not. Heck duke goes about 7 deep.

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

Why do you think we will go 10 deep? Most teams do not. Heck duke goes about 7 deep.

By the time we reach conference I am sure the rotation will be closer to 7-9. The 10 man rotation doesn't factor in the inevitable injury (knock on wood) and one or so players underdelivering vs. expectations and moving out of the rotation.

Duke is an interesting benchmark with their 7 man rotation of OAD 5*s.  Over Arch's last four years at Dayton (I would argue this is a stronger barometer) he hovered around 6-9 man rotations, consistent with his rotation last year.

------

Yr - # of Players who Avg 10 Min/G or More (minimum 25 games played in the season)

IU 17/18- 8 Players

UD 16/17 - 9 Players 

UD 15/16 - 6 Players

UD 14/15 - 7 Players

UD 13/14 - 9 Players

I’m telling you guys..... Race Thompson is really really good. No one is talking about him. He’s bigger than Smith, can handle, pass, Lead the break, rebound, and shoot. Dude is a stud. I’m guessing he’s a starter by B1G or getting starter minutes by then.

I’m telling you guys..... Race Thompson is really really good. No one is talking about him. He’s bigger than Smith, can handle, pass, Lead the break, rebound, and shoot. Dude is a stud. I’m guessing he’s a starter by B1G or getting starter minutes by then.

Whose minutes is he taking? I just don’t see him getting a ton of run due to lack of need. He isn’t taking Smith or Morgan minutes. Let’s say that is 55 minutes out of the 80 possible. Then we have a grad transfer that can knock down 3s and can guard the 4 and 5. I love Thompson but if he is pulling more than 10 it’s due to injury or we play a lot bigger than I anticipate. Smith isn’t a 3. That’s still a very important player. But I don’t see him getting starter minutes. Smith and Morgan will be 2 of our 3 best players. Smith showed that by the end of the year.

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Whose minutes is he taking? I just don’t see him getting a ton of run due to lack of need. He isn’t taking Smith or Morgan minutes. Let’s say that is 55 minutes out of the 80 possible. Then we have a grad transfer that can knock down 3s and can guard the 4 and 5. I love Thompson but if he is pulling more than 10 it’s due to injury or we play a lot bigger than I anticipate. Smith isn’t a 3. That’s still a very important player. But I don’t see him getting starter minutes. Smith and Morgan will be 2 of our 3 best players. Smith showed that by the end of the year.

As good as Smith is and will be, I believe Race is a better player.

1 minute ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What have you seen of Race to get you so excited?

Impressed with him during his time with Minnesota d-1 but I remember him at Pangos Camp and he reminded me of Juwan Morgan. Super skilled and has really good size. Love Smith. Think he’s a huge piece but he doesn’t have the skill Race has. Smith is a much better athlete and has huge upside. I just like guys who can dribble, pass, and shoot. They contribute much faster. I’m not sure how they compare defensively. I know Race is noticeably bigger than Smith. 

Smith and Morgan will get most minutes up front. Race could see time through depending how he developed last year.

Wasn't sure where else to post this but should be an exciting day as all of the freshman will be on campus. Hopefully the social media team is active and others can provide any information as the entire team is together for the first time of our 2018 season! 

Yep Freshman orientation day. My daughter is down there today signing up for classes. She said the whole campus is buzzing for Romeo getting there.

11 hours ago, HoosierTrav said:

As good as Smith is and will be, I believe Race is a better player.

This is a first but I think we might disagree. I expect JS to be the best player on the floor at times this season. But I can see why you think that way about Race. Should be an exciting future for sure. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

This is a first but I think we might disagree. I expect JS to be the best player on the floor at times this season. But I can see why you think that way about Race. Should be an exciting future for sure. 

If Smith’s skill development is further along than I expect than we are in for a really special year... can’t wait to watch. This is the most excited I’ve been for an IU season since the 2013 season. 

29 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Isn't Ashton the one with all the individual rooms? So no roommate for Romeo?

Ashton is single rooms but anyone on campus who wants to live in a dorm and is taking classes lives in Ashton for the summer. But if it is like years past, they will move to Briscoe in August for the fall semester. Last year and this year I believe the basketball players will have singles in Briscoe.