Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

2018-2019 Rotation Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

I really worry about our team defensively if Davis gets more than 10. Love the kid. He just doesn’t fit the team pre Achilles. You add the achilles to a man that is that big with that lack of mobility/athleticism? I am probably on low end of expectations. I hope he proves me wrong. That would be fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

To be fair, the entire team was horrid defensively. It took a while for them to figure out where to be when.

To be fair, the entire team was horrid defensively. It took a while for them to figure out where to be when.

But my thing is when did that change? It really coincided with when he went down. I never want any of our kids to go down. But it really changed our defense. It was obvious right away. Offensively he wasn’t bad. Rebounding and Defense really improved. I worry areas he struggled at will get even worse post injury. Again I hope he proves me wrong, but I fear he has too many negatives going against him now.

6 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

But my thing is when did that change? It really coincided with when he went down. I never want any of our kids to go down. But it really changed our defense. It was obvious right away. Offensively he wasn’t bad. Rebounding and Defense really improved. I worry areas he struggled at will get even worse post injury. Again I hope he proves me wrong, but I fear he has too many negatives going against him now.

You could be right, I hope you're wrong.

Just reporting info that I heard from IUs open gym from a recruit that attended there this past week. He said during walkthroughs the starting 5 on the floor together was Phinisee, Romeo, Hunter, Fitzner and Davis (only participated in walkthroughs not actual games). Was told that Hunter is going to surprise a lot this year and looked like an upperclassmen and will start right away no doubt. Also heard that Romeo was Romeo and took over whenever he wanted to and that Fitzner played the "stretch 4" and played mostly outside. Damezi was hitting everything and we shouldn't be surprised if he's first off the bench...the only drawback was his defense and seemed to get in bad position at times but he has a whole summer to get better like most of our players did under Archie. Just thought I'd share this info with all of you. I'd personally be a fan of the starting lineup of:

Rob

Romeo

Hunter

Fitzner

Morgan

I know people would be hesitant bc it's 3 freshmen and a transfer new to the system but again the talent from our team this past year wasn't the greatest to sugar coat things and the pieces we have coming in are already far more talented and athletic. Rob is a true PG and a lesser Yogi in my opinion and is not going to make boneheaded mistakes or try to force anything like our guards of last year. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Not sure how this is possible considering none of the freshmen are on campus.

I was going to ask who all was on campus? Seems strange the Freshmen would already be there since they are still in High School and haven't graduated yet (At least Romeo, IDK about school schedules up north).

I would also assume Morgan isn't on campus since he is traveling around working out for NBA teams. (I realize Morgan wasn't mentioned as being there, but I am saying that changes the Starting 5).

When is the year over for IU? I would assume many will take at least a little time away to go home etc.

I was going to ask who all was on campus? Seems strange the Freshmen would already be there since they are still in High School and haven't graduated yet (At least Romeo, IDK about school schedules up north).
I would also assume Morgan isn't on campus since he is traveling around working out for NBA teams. (I realize Morgan wasn't mentioned as being there, but I am saying that changes the Starting 5).
When is the year over for IU? I would assume many will take at least a little time away to go home etc.

This is definitely the time when kids go home. Off the top of my head from social media, race is back in Minnesota, Devonte was on vacation in the Dominican, Al was back in Atlanta. Finals were two weeks ago now.

Not sure why there would be a walk through in May, or if it’s even within the rules for the coaches to be involved with something like that with the entire team this time of year? Not trying to give the poster a hard time, just seems unlikely. 

If it did happen, I fall into the category that doubts we start three freshmen, especially all in the backcourt, and also not sure if a walkthrough in May would really be any inidication of what the lineup might be in October/Nov. 

Not sure why there would be a walk through in May, or if it’s even within the rules for the coaches to be involved with something like that with the entire team this time of year? Not trying to give the poster a hard time, just seems unlikely. 
If it did happen, I fall into the category that doubts we start three freshmen, especially all in the backcourt, and also not sure if a walkthrough in May would really be any inidication of what the lineup might be in October/Nov. 

Yeah, not much of that story makes any sense. Why were they playing if it was a walk through? Who were they playing considering we know a lot of the players aren’t on campus. Why were all the freshmen there etc?

I am trying to figure out how Davis would be on the floor 4 months removed from an achilles. Let alone the freshman. They don’t graduate for another two weeks and won’t be on campus til mid June. The same for Fitzner. Plus, no Smith? I would say that most likely didn’t happen.

I am trying to figure out how Davis would be on the floor 4 months removed from an achilles. Let alone the freshman. They don’t graduate for another two weeks and won’t be on campus til mid June. The same for Fitzner. Plus, no Smith? I would say that most likely didn’t happen.

Virtual Reality walkthrough. Lol.

Teams have open gyms throughout the year and commits/signees play in them all the time as well as invited recruits. This is nothing new and it's not mandatory. Our recruits are all within driving distance outside of Forrester (who wasn't there). This is just info I thought I'd share from somebody close to a recruit. I got the info about Keion and TJD from him as well regarding them having a minor fallout and TJD looking at possibly joining another AAU program this summer since Keions dad is making sure Keion gets his shots up and keeps garnering attention. I also heard that Center Grove will be getting Ethan Watts next year, who also plays on Indy Heat with TJD and Brooks. I haven't heard anything on this yet so I guess time will tell his credibility to the situation.

10 hours ago, jbell833 said:

Teams have open gyms throughout the year and commits/signees play in them all the time as well as invited recruits. This is nothing new and it's not mandatory. Our recruits are all within driving distance outside of Forrester (who wasn't there). This is just info I thought I'd share from somebody close to a recruit. I got the info about Keion and TJD from him as well regarding them having a minor fallout and TJD looking at possibly joining another AAU program this summer since Keions dad is making sure Keion gets his shots up and keeps garnering attention. I also heard that Center Grove will be getting Ethan Watts next year, who also plays on Indy Heat with TJD and Brooks. I haven't heard anything on this yet so I guess time will tell his credibility to the situation.

Absolutely appreciate  the info, and not trying to give you a hard time. Yes, these open gyms do happen all time, probably almost daily, and I’m doubting the info at all that many of the freshmen have been there for some runs with the team.

I do doubt that there was any time of “walk through” that involved an actual lineup or the coaching staff. If there was, it was probably player driven just to teach some of the newer guys a set or two for the open gym. 

Unless the rules have changed, which is entirely possible as it’s been 20 years since I played, the coaches are not allowed in the gym for these open gym/pick up game sessions. 

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Unless the rules have changed, which is entirely possible as it’s been 20 years since I played, the coaches are not allowed in the gym for these open gym/pick up game sessions. 

Are the "open gyms" video taped for later review. It's hard to believe that the coaches don't get some kind of feedback about how those go. In other words, there are ways to be in the gym without "being in the gym".