Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

2018-2019 Rotation Discussion Thread

Id probably play Hunter off the bench and play another Big to give Morgan a break. 

Now during the tourney when the rotation shrinks to 7 maybe 8. I would support that line up as long as theres still somebody to be a spark off the bench and Phinisee has earned it. Kinda feel Green is our best shot this year. 

6 minutes ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

Can you explain what you mean by "but Green and Morgan will have to show they've improved their shooting." Juwan is a starter regardless of whether his shot is exactly the same as last year or improved (assuming he's coming back). With Devonte, you could convince me that he's not a starter, but I think he'll be improved all-around (fingers crossed b/c I think he's got some real potential).

That has nothing to do with the starting lineup.  I don't think there's any question Juwan is a starter.  Those were all requirements to have a versatile lineup on the court.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Id probably play Hunter off the bench and play another Big to give Morgan a break. 

Now during the tourney when the rotation shrinks to 7 maybe 8. I would support that line up as long as theres still somebody to be a spark off the bench and Phinisee has earned it. Kinda feel Green is our best shot this year. 

Agree about Green. If Phinisee comes in and somehow steals that starting PG spot, then we're in for a real good year as I think Green will make off-season strides. Also agree about Hunter coming off the bench. If Fitzner and team can figure out how to guard the opposing bigs and rebound effectively, we'll be a nightmare on the offensive end as Evan should be able to stretch the floor with his reported shooting range (giving Juwan and/or Justin room to operate... and oh yeah, this Romeo kid can score too, right? lol)

3 hours ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

I don't know, man... I think that's a pretty drool-worthy lineup myself, lol. Juwan is already a stud and per Chris007, Justin is dominating everyone. We already know Romeo's a stud too and Devonte is sort of a "trick or treat" stud, haha. I think Phinisee coming in is actually going to push Devonte to another level, but hopefully that's just not wishful thinking. I really can't see Archie wanting to play Juwan at the 5, but maybe. Regardless, I definitely like our options more this year.

The mix and match potential of the new roster is probably going to be difficult to limit.  I like the 5 you presented too. 

Just mostly looking at the potential of these 5 reaching their ceiling by March, and what that would mean to the team.  Not saying this should be our starting lineup Game 1, or that they should play the most minutes, or that this is the supreme collection of the 5 best guys on the team lol.

Phinisee

Langford

Hunter

Smith

Morgan

Phinisee could come in and give us a freshman Yogilike contribution.

Langford 

Hunter is the guy we would all be gushing about if Langford did not commit to IU.

Smith cracked the starting lineup as a freshman.  Imagine what he could become in the offseason, and then after another full year of development while mostly starting for IU.

Morgan appears capable of making another Oladipolike offseason jump, probably working a lot on his shot, and everything else the NBA people suggest he improve upon.

I am guessing Juwan is going to often play a similar position to the position he played last year, a 4, with no 5 on the floor, just not exclusively playing in that role.

Devonte is another player I expect to improve dramatically in the offseason.  He seemed on the verge of becoming that dependable piece several times last year.  But like you say, "trick or treat" lol.  I too think RP is going to push Devonte from Day 1, and I think Devonte will probably learn from RP,  the same way RP will learn a lot from Green.

Yes, drooling is good this year.

17 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I don't put much into how they look during off season workouts, good to hear but that's about it.  I'm already having nightmares about Green, but Phinisee probably isn't ready to start day 1.

Chris007 was pretty accurate about Moore. Not handicapped by coach speak

2 hours ago, Hollywood Mike Miranda said:

Chris007 posted this back in late April... "I just asked who has looked good. Response was Green very good, Al, Race, Moore all been good but Smith better than everyone else. Dominating the spring."

With that being said by someone close to the action, I'd be surprised if Phinisee started over Green. With the De'Ron injury situation, I think the following lineup might be realistic (and ideal?) given what Archie runs...

• PG - Devonte Green
  • SG - Romeo Langford
  • F - Justin Smith
  • F - Juwan Morgan
  • C - Evan Fitzner (or maybe Race, but he's listed at 6'8")

If Devonte can keep things under control and Justin has made the leap like Chris007 suggests, then this could be a scary good starting lineup with some real skill coming off the bench. Just my 2 cents...

I like this lineup. But I wonder if putting McRob instead of Smith would be beneficial. I don't like McRob playing with the backups because he isn't as offensively gifted. We could use his D on team 1 while Green, Morgan, Langford are the scorers. Then on team 2 Phinisee, Hunter, Smith can be the scorers.

1 hour ago, ViaSwiss said:

I like this lineup. But I wonder if putting McRob instead of Smith would be beneficial. I don't like McRob playing with the backups because he isn't as offensively gifted. We could use his D on team 1 while Green, Morgan, Langford are the scorers. Then on team 2 Phinisee, Hunter, Smith can be the scorers.

This isn't directed at You, but it's not the lame NBA. No need to constantly lose games because 'of a 1st and 2nd unit mentality.

Green needs to start. He is just further along in the system and player development than Phinisee is. He's physically better. And I predict he's our best defender this year. He can set the tempo. Rob gives you a PG on the bench that can pretty much carve up another teams 2nd unit. Our 2nd unit will need a leader and he's the guy that can do it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

Green will start and you can bank that. Rob will get minutes but he is a frosh and very rarely do frosh point guards come in from day one and start. I guess 5 star guys but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

But, is he mentally better? In a few games he has been very good. But in the majority of games he makes a lot mental mistakes. I'd rather have a player that might score less, but doesn't have the mental mistakes that lead to turnovers or forced shots. I hope Green is mentally maturing, but I have to see it before I say he should start.

Green needs to start. He is just further along in the system and player development than Phinisee is. He's physically better. And I predict he's our best defender this year. He can set the tempo. Rob gives you a PG on the bench that can pretty much carve up another teams 2nd unit. Our 2nd unit will need a leader and he's the guy that can do it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BtownBanners mobile app

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Bailey7878 said:

Green will start and you can bank that. Rob will get minutes but he is a frosh and very rarely do frosh point guards come in from day one and start. I guess 5 star guys but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Or the McKinley Wrights of the world

2 hours ago, iufaninillinois said:

But, is he mentally better? In a few games he has been very good. But in the majority of games he makes a lot mental mistakes. I'd rather have a player that might score less, but doesn't have the mental mistakes that lead to turnovers or forced shots. I hope Green is mentally maturing, but I have to see it before I say he should start.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Exactly, that's the question, isn't it? Someone said in another thread that Green is likely THE most important player in determining this team's ceiling- I agree with that. He doesn't even need to "improve" much IMO,  just be consistent., make the easy play, etc and IU is going to be VERY tough.  If not? Then I really hope Rob is ready for some responsibility because he's looking at playing a lot.

I think it's a good sign that there are only 2 certain starters. Could be 5-6 others and that is a good, good situation. As ChicagoHoosier said, a lot to drool over with this roster. 

My opening day line-up: Green, Romeo, Smith Morgan, Fitzner. I don't think that will necessarily be the starters by Jan, though. 

No idea what the bench rotation will look like, but I would like to see whoever the 13th guy is red-shirt, especially with a preferred walk-on level guy like ZM picking up some minutes. 

18 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Exactly, that's the question, isn't it? Someone said in another thread that Green is likely THE most important player in determining this team's ceiling- I agree with that. He doesn't even need to "improve" much IMO,  just be consistent., make the easy play, etc and IU is going to be VERY tough.  If not? Then I really hope Rob is ready for some responsibility because he's looking at playing a lot.

I think it's a good sign that there are only 2 certain starters. Could be 5-6 others and that is a good, good situation. As ChicagoHoosier said, a lot to drool over with this roster. 

My opening day line-up: Green, Romeo, Smith Morgan, Fitzner. I don't think that will necessarily be the starters by Jan, though. 

No idea what the bench rotation will look like, but I would like to see whoever the 13th guy is red-shirt, especially with a preferred walk-on level guy like ZM picking up some minutes. 

I think Green has to improve a lot.  Outside of that stretch of a few games he was absolutely brutal last year and at times completely unplayable.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

I think Green has to improve a lot.  Outside of that stretch of a few games he was absolutely brutal last year and at times completely unplayable.

I should have been more clear- I mean he has the skills already- good enough shooting, ball-handling, defense, etc. "Just" decision making has to get much better. 

8 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I should have been more clear- I mean he has the skills already- good enough shooting, ball-handling, defense, etc. "Just" decision making has to get much better. 

I really don't think he's that good.  When I watch him I see some flash, and skills that need a lot of improvement to be relied on.  His decision making I'm highly doubtful gets much better considering his basketball IQ is in the negatives.

This team last year had a problem in the backcourt (among others) and he was part of that problem; even some of the skills that are as basic as it gets at this level were an adventure with him.  I don't see that changing much unless he improves a lot more than just his abysmal decision making.