Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

2018-2019 Rotation Discussion Thread

Now the the final roster is set I thought we could start discussing the rotation. 

What I like about this roster is that other than Romeo we would have a very good roster even if all the Freshmen red shirted. 

Frankly I can see good reasons for both McRoberts and Fitzner to start. Which would leave Hunter, Thompson and Smith coming off the bench. That could be a really tough line up. 

As of now I see Green/Langford/Smith/Morgan/Fitzner. 

If the hype behind Green and Smith pans out. 

Now if Hunter and Thompson aren't ready to be a spark off the bench might be better for the team team for McRoberts starts and Smith becomes the guy off the bench. 

Now the the final roster is set I thought we could start discussing the rotation. 
What I like about this roster is that other than Romeo we would have a very good roster even if all the Freshmen red shirted. 
Frankly I can see good reasons for both McRoberts and Fitzner to start. Which would leave Hunter, Thompson and Smith coming off the bench. That could be a really tough line up. 
Now if Hunter and Thompson aren't ready to be a spark off the bench might be better for the team team for McRoberts starts and Smith becomes the guy off the bench. 

Fitzner is not going to start. He was a role player at Saint Mary's and now he's a starter at iu? They will go three guards probably with Smith and Morgan up front.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

This is going to be really interesting to see how it shakes out next fall. I think we all could make arguments for a smaller lineup and also for a bigger lineup.

How good will Phinisee be from day one? Same on Hunter? How good has Race Thompson gotten over his redshirt year? Is Fitzner a great fit on this team? All questions in my opinion that will help determine the 5 players on the floor at the tip and getting a lot of minutes.

Definitely can’t wait to see how it plays out. I’m thinking we are all going to be happy with how this season plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

3 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Fitzner is not going to start. He was a role player at Saint Mary's and now he's a starter at iu? They will go three guards probably with Smith and Morgan up front.

I disagree that we will start 3 guards when we only have 4 on the roster. I put Romeo/Smith/Morgan as certainties in the starting lineup. The PG spot will be either Rob Phin or DG. The other starter is where it gets interesting - will Davis be ready (I am highly skeptical)? Can Fizner defend at a high enough level to start? Are we better off without a natural center and start McRob or Thompson?

Will be interesting - but it will be great to have good options. Our roster has been upgraded drastically. Hunter is getting very little chatter - but would have played a MAJOR role on last year's roster because we needed his scoring.

7 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

The roster isn’t set. We don’t know if Morgan is coming back.

Fitzner mentioned him by name as someone he’s looking forward to playing with and Romeo hinted at players returning being a factor in his decision (which I’m assuming he’s talking about Juwan). I think he’ll be back

I think we are selling the freshmen short. I think even Forrester would have played some on last year's team. It worries me that Green will always be what we have seen to this point. If so, I'd rather roll with RP and let him grow. I believe it will be his team eventually anyway. Morgan and Langford are the only certain starters and that's assuming Morgan comes back. Every other spot is "to be determined". Who plays will probably be determined by who picks up the defense the quickest. I can easily see it taking a significant amount of time to sort this team out.

4 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

He was a 2 year starter and he would provide two very important things to the line up.  3pt shooting and dwfense on the other teams big so Morgan doesn't wear out like last year. 

Morgan wore out after 25 or so games last year. Can't have that again. 

Not saying it's going to happen but Moore or Race will need to be ready. 

I'll follow Stu's format

In order, from most to least likely to start:

1. Morgan
  2. Langford
  3. Smith
  4. Green
  5. McRoberts    Hunter
  6. Hunter            Phinisee      
  7. Phinissee      Fitzner
  8. Durham         McRoberts
  9. Thompson
  10. Davis             Forrester
  11. Fitzner          Anderson
  12. Moore           Durham
  13. Anderson     Moore
  14. Forrester      Davis

18 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'll follow Stu's format

In order, from most to least likely to start:

1. Morgan
  2. Langford
  3. Smith
  4. Green
  5. McRoberts    Hunter
  6. Hunter            Phinisee      
  7. Phinissee      Fitzner
  8. Durham         McRoberts
  9. Thompson
  10. Davis             Forrester
  11. Fitzner          Anderson
  12. Moore           Durham
  13. Anderson     Moore
  14. Forrester      Davis

As long as we agree that Race Thompson is ninth most likely to start, I got no problem wit youse.

Wow this team looks deep on paper. Following same Stu logic

Morgan
Romeo
Smith
Green
Fitzner
Hunter
McRoberts
Phinesee
Thompson
Durham
Forrester
Moore
Anderson
Davis

I think when/if healthy Davis and Fizner split minutes and the one playing better plays the majority. I see Forrester as our 3rd string 5. And I guess Moore as our 4th string big?

Wow if you include Race and Juwan that’s 6 guys that can play the 5.

Eat your heart out Crean.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This may not be the place for it, but I would be shocked if we don’t have a transfer at the 4/5 position after this year. Big logjam down there and someone is bound to be unhappy. 

Plus we’re recruiting TJD and others that would play the 4/5.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wow this team looks deep on paper. Following same Stu logic

Morgan
Romeo
Smith
Green
Fitzner
Hunter
McRoberts
Phinesee
Thompson
Durham
Forrester
Moore
Anderson
Davis

I think when/if healthy Davis and Fizner split minutes and the one playing better plays the majority. I see Forrester as our 3rd string 5. And I guess Moore as our 4th string big?

Eat your heart out Crean.

This team is for sure deep. Just need a few guys to take the leap. Green and Smith and we will be scary good

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

You guys are still sleeping on Al Durham. Maybe not as a starter, but as a twenty minute a game guy? Likely.

Green has a lot of competition hopefully it's pushing him to devote the time to unlock that potential of his. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

You guys are still sleeping on Al Durham. Maybe not as a starter, but as a twenty minute a game guy? Likely.

At who’s position though? Romeo is going to take up 30-35 minutes a game. Green and Phinisee will be the point guard options. Just not sure where all of those minutes will come from..

I guess we could go to a 3 guard lineup at times with Juwan at the 5.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Maybe at the start of the season, but not by the end of the season.  I'm skeptical he will have improved his game sufficiently to be that significant of a contributor over the course of the season but I will be more than happy to eat crow if he proves me wrong.

Is it set? Although I believe JM is coming back, it is still possible he isnt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk