Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Evan Fitzner to IU

27 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Well I go off the most recent year. I'm keeping my expectations realistic on this. I expect him to play 5 to 12 minutes a game and average 5 to 6 points and 3 to 4 boards. Maybe I will be wrong.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Well silly to penalize a guy for his coach changing the systwm. 

2 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

Pretty much my thinking. I guess I just don't get it but until I see him play I simply cannot be as sky high on this guy as some on here. I just don't see a role player from a mid major playing more minutes in the big ten. I guess I'm the crazy one.

I don't think that many people are "sky high" as they are content. He fills a need as a big. You can bet Archie will get him to rebound and play defense at a decent level.

Getting Fitzner to IU is not anything like Crean's "Ooh ooh, I've got a scholly and it's burning a hole in my pocket."   Archie sees something in Fitzner that's going to help the team and in the meantime, I'm withholding judgment.  Lot of time between now and the start of the season and I'm sure by October we'll have a clearer picture especially if the picture involves a medical red shirt for Davis.  
And I'm with Fkfootball1 - I don't care what he's done previously, I only care about what he does for IU next season.
Why do you post stats of AAU games if past performance is not an indicator of talent?

2 minutes ago, biteoftheapple said:
5 minutes ago, Class of said:
Getting Fitzner to IU is not anything like Crean's "Ooh ooh, I've got a scholly and it's burning a hole in my pocket."   Archie sees something in Fitzner that's going to help the team and in the meantime, I'm withholding judgment.  Lot of time between now and the start of the season and I'm sure by October we'll have a clearer picture especially if the picture involves a medical red shirt for Davis.  
And I'm with Fkfootball1 - I don't care what he's done previously, I only care about what he does for IU next season.

Why do you post stats of AAU games if past performance is not an indicator of talent?

I'm bored!     Not sure it's really an apples to apples comparison but we're bringing in Fitzner for a single scholarship year not potentially tying up a scholly for 4 years.   He's been recruited by Archie for a specific 1-year reason and I don't think any of us really know what that reason is yet and at this time, I'm placing my confidence in Archie.

3 hours ago, JHoosier914 said:

Fitzner fills a HUGE weakness/hole we had last year.  A big man that can stretch the floor will do wonders for us on the offensive side, even if he is only averaging 6-10 minutes per game

A career of 41% on 3's, on over 300 attempts,  and doesn't turn the ball over.

Would we prefer if he averaged 14 and 9  out of Juco like Freddie?

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

No because they changed the system. It wasnt a condemnation of his abilities. The fans seem to think he got a raw deal even. 

I think that the big thing to remember is that he was the sixth man on a top twenty-five team that had just a seven man rotation.  He had more minutes per game at St. Mary's than McSwain, Hartmann, and Justin Smith did here.

Honestly, I think the hope is offering IU what Hartmann did in 2014-5 and 2015-6 but with the possibility of being able to play better defense down low.

I think that the big thing to remember is that he was the sixth man on a top twenty-five team that had just a seven man rotation.  He had more minutes per game at St. Mary's than McSwain, Hartmann, and Justin Smith did here.
Honestly, I think the hope is offering IU what Hartmann did in 2014-5 and 2015-6 but with the possibility of being able to play better defense down low.
I thought Hartman did a decent job defensively in the post when he was asked to during the 15-16 season.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

58 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I would be thrilled with that! I don't expect him to dominate inside, but really can't see him playing on the wing. I would also think that 6-8 mins/game would be a wasted scholarship unless he has some very solid intangibles & leadership. 

15 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:
I would be thrilled with that! I don't expect him to dominate inside, but really can't see him playing on the wing. I would also think that 6-8 mins/game would be a wasted scholarship unless he has some very solid intangibles & leadership. 

Only wasted if that scholarship was going to someone else more valuable. People seem to overlook that aspect of this commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don’t see any reason this kid can’t have a season similar to what Max B has his year at IU. 
It's possible but who knows what race and Moore will bring after another summer. If they have progressed alot they may get decent minutes. We just dont know yet.

8 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Only wasted if that scholarship was going to someone else and more valuable. People seem to overlook that aspect of this commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yes....I don't know of any other quality grad transfer bigs that were still out there.  It's not a wasted scholarship regardless of how many minutes he plays because it was just going to sit dormant anyway.

Transfers are, for lack of a better term, the free agents of college basketball. Coaches who sign transfers gain the added advantage of having seen what these players can do against Division I competition. Players, typically, make the jump in search of more playing time. It's win-win, when it works.

There's a good chance it could indeed work out well in the following instances. Here are the 15 impact transfers to watch in 2018-19:

84.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueEvan Fitzner, Indiana Hoosiers
Previous team: Saint Mary's
A two-year starter in Moraga, Fitzner chose to go the graduate transfer route for his final season after being relegated to a reserve role for most of 2017-18. At 6-10, he's a career 41 percent 3-point shooter (with an average of about three attempts per game) who holds his own on the defensive glass.

Senior leadership is one of the attributes he brings this year. He seems to have a high Hoops IQ as well. Our lack of size inside will not be an issue this season. Can you imagine the competitive practices this summer? Do we have a better outside threat than Fitzner tlhis year? His decision to transfer was based largely on the fact he was relegated to a sixth man role after starting his first two years. The big question is, can he work his way into a starters role on a very talented team at IU? His GPA might have been another factor in CAM extending an offer. 

Edited by dyedinthewool