Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Evan Fitzner to IU

9 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

I think people are being waaaaayyyyy too polarizing on Davis.  

Agreed, it takes many pieces in most cases.  Davis is another asset that can help win games.  I don't think we'll see players like him at IU again under Archie but if you have them why not use them. 

My concern more is Morgan making it through an entire season as the primary 5.  He hasn't had to do that and wore down last season as the 4.  Langford and more talent around him will help but we'll need someone to take on bigger teams bigs. 

One game. IPFW and ISU he could barely play because of the style of play. One solid game does nothing for me. 

I would blame that on defense of our guards rather than him. If we don't get behind that quick we don't have to try to shoot our way out of it. If we are as good as we should be then we need to make other teams switch to our style and pace not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

45 minutes ago, BtownBanner6 said:

I would blame that on defense of our guards rather than him. If we don't get behind that quick we don't have to try to shoot our way out of it. If we are as good as we should be then we need to make other teams switch to our style and pace not the other way around.

We don't want to play at a slow pace either. If we did, I can promise we wouldn't have gotten Romeo. Pace and space people. 

I keep reading how Davis does not fit in Archie's system but I would disagree. Archie raved about Davis all summer last year and early in the year was a focal point. He definitely struggled against some teams but had he made it through the year I think he would have had shown he can fit.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

One game. IPFW and ISU he could barely play because of the style of play. One solid game does nothing for me. 

Do some due diligence before you bash and follow it up with baseless comments about one of our players. Below are the stats of a sophomore before he got hurt. He was one of the most impactful players we had and many were asking if he might go pro.

Vs ISU - 14/3
Vs HOW - 17/6
Vs USF - 12/5
Vs ARST - 10/6
Vs EMU - 11/4
Vs DUKE - 16/5
Vs IOWA - 13/6
Vs LOU - 14/7

27 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Do some due diligence before you bash and follow it up with baseless comments about one of our players. Below are the stats of a sophomore before he got hurt. He was one of the most impactful players we had and many were asking if he might go pro.

Vs ISU - 14/3
Vs HOW - 17/6
Vs USF - 12/5
Vs ARST - 10/6
Vs EMU - 11/4
Vs DUKE - 16/5
Vs IOWA - 13/6
Vs LOU - 14/7

I've looked at the game log. Cool. 1 of those teams was a tourney team. 1. 

11 and 4 against Eastern MI and 10 and 6 vs. Ark St... you have got to be kidding me... wowwwww. 

11 and 4 against Eastern MI and 10 and 6 vs. Ark St... you have got to be kidding me... wowwwww. 

you have been nothing but a Brillo pad since arriving here - abrasive

Argumentative with nothing to back it and when people point out your wrongs you move the goal posts.

He was one of our best and most consistent players as a SOPHOMORE before enduring a season ending injury that nagged him for games before sidelining him. You can’t argue his productivity. If you don’t like him who do you like sans Morgan?

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Your point was Davis "wasn't effective" and when shown he actually was the rebuttal is "but the competition sucked"

We get it, you are not a DD fan. I suspect he won't play much this season, so you should be spared from being subjected to that misery. 

Getting back to Fitzner, I disagree with those that think he'll only be a minor role player. I think he's the likely opening day starting 5. There aren't a lot of other great options and I doubt Archie brings him in to play 12 mins a game backing up Thompson or Moore. Morgan is not a center. He played it last season AFTER Davis got hurt and before McSwain emerged, in other words because Priller or Moore were the only other options.  

41 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Lol with such horrid stats how did he ever lead the team in advanced analytics. 

I'm just not a fan of the idea of how he fits with Morgan and Romeo. If he had any sort of jump shot I wouldn't be complaining the way I am. I just worry about spacing for Romeo and Juwan.. I think we can all agree the defensive deficiencies are what they are. I just wish he was more versatile. 

On 5/4/2018 at 1:57 PM, HoosierHoops1 said:

Hopefully a year of Fitzner, Fitner, Fizner and some Phinnisee, Phinasee, finasee doesn't send you over the edge.

3 hours ago, biteoftheapple said:

I am a Hoosier fan. I want the best team onthe floor. If Davis is healthy he will give us good days...and bad ones. With Fizner, I just dont know. But my confidence is not high.

Lol here we go.

Listen, boys.  Davis can play.  He (and the whole team) struggled with the new system early on, and anyone watching Davis in particular could almost see him think instead of instinctively react on both ends.   He is not a stat stuffer, however he'll put up numbers as long as he stays healthy and out of foul trouble.   
Archie's defense left him exposed a lot a year ago while the rest of the team learned it; and he had some trouble early.  His injury prevented a lot; most of all playing while finally comfortable in that system.  Davis played just 15 games, and I think it was pretty obvious it took longer than that for the team to get comfortable in an entirely new system.  Kid had 16 against Duke's front court (which included 2 lottery picks) and 14 against Louisville.   Explain to me again how he can't draw a double or score against better players?  Help me understand that position.  Inconsistent?  Yep.  But so was the entire team save Morgan.  (I will say this about Davis....make a damned free throw!)
He is a solid player who will be a reliable starter for the next 2 seasons if he's healthy.  For those touting McRobers' value, take note that he will not play nearly as big a role as he did a year ago.  A certain freshman will get a lot of those wing minutes.  DeVonte Green needs to watch his back, too.  (If Davis is healthy, my starting 5 is Phinissee, Langford, Smith, Morgan, Davis)   McRobers is now in a rotation with Green, Durham, maybe Hunter, and maybe Anderson.   He is a nice kid to have on a team, but other than position defense and effort; he does nothing particularly well.   He will not get the minutes this year he did last, and if he does, Indiana will not be having a very successful season.  We needed his effort and IQ a year ago.  The more talented players should bring that next season.  8-10 MPG guy next season.

You bring up another good point about how the entire team struggled early on.

Just now, btownqb said:

I'm just not a fan of the idea of how he fits with Morgan and Romeo. If he had any sort of jump shot I wouldn't be complaining the way I am. I just worry about spacing for Romeo and Juwan.. I think we can all agree the defensive deficiencies are what they are. I just wish he was more versatile. 

Moving those goal posts 

Davis isn't a good defender. He has no jump shot. He doesn't rebound overally well. He seems like at least an average passer. I am worried about him playing next to Romeo and Morgan.. I like Fitzner a lot more in that aspect. Moving goal posts is laughable. If Morgan becomes a much more of a knock down shooter, then yeah.. he might be able to give us more mins. But I don't see many teams that play two big guys consistently that don't stretch the defense. And again.. be struggles big time defensively. His advanced analytics... two things are far as those are concerned he only played against basically the non conf... obviously that portion is going to be much weaker than the BIG will.be, and multiple times he just didn't play much at all because he was so ineffective, so basically... he plays in the games where he can help us. I'm good with that. Will he be though?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Davis isn't a good defender. He has no jump shot. He doesn't rebound overally well. He seems like at least an average passer. I am worried about him playing next to Romeo and Morgan.. I like Fitzner a lot more in that aspect. Moving goal posts is laughable. If Morgan becomes a much more of a knock down shooter, then yeah.. he might be able to give us more mins. But I don't see many teams that play two big guys consistently that don't stretch the defense. And again.. be struggles big time defensively. His advanced analytics... two things are far as those are concerned he only played against basically the non conf... obviously that portion is going to be much weaker than the BIG will.be, and multiple times he just didn't play much at all because he was so ineffective, so basically... he plays in the games where he can help us. I'm good with that. Will he be though?

Davis is a 6'10" low post player.....and you are worried about his ability to knock down a perimeter shot?

Fact:  last season he was second on the time in scoring per minute on played and second in rebounds per minute played.