Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Evan Fitzner to IU

26 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

The way some are talking him up I'm about ready to expect 16 and 10 a game from him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Not saying that he absolutely will, but let's see what Archie and the staff can do with him. Even if he never gets to 16/10, he's gonna help a lot, especially with Davis' injury and all the questions about his recovery or redshirting... and he can shoot the 3 at 40%.

5 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Y’all, I like this pickup, but he’s listed at like 215 pounds, or five pounds less than Moore was last year at the same height. Additionally, he has no history of rim protection. He’s not functionally a 5. Could he play alongside Juwan and Smith? Sure, but I doubt he’ll be the one asked to guard Ward or Wesson et al. in such a lineup.

The guys asked to guard those bruisers before Fitzner will be, in some order dependent on health, availability, etc., Davis, Morgan, Thompson, Forrester, Moore, even Smith.

I agree, which is why I don't see him as the "perfect fit" like so many others.  We have a lot of wings and a couple stud guards already on the roster.  I'm not saying his shooting won't be appreciated or he won't have an impact...I hope he does...but if he has a huge impact then it's likely because others couldn't perform to our expectations.  He'll likely play the role we hoped Clifton would play (the role Clifton mentioned wanting to play), which was outside.  I may be wrong, but I still wish we had landed another "true big" to play inside...if nothing else, to help Juwan, Race, and Forrester in practice.  I'm happy for him and I'm sure he'll contribute, if nothing else he'll force more effort from others in practice.  However, I don't see him as the big we "needed" to refresh Juwan or play for an injured Davis for lengthy amounts of time.

2 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

I am trying to figure out why some people on here think a guy who averaged 6 points at St. Mary's is going to come in and start in the big ten? I think you guys expectations are way out of whack for this kid. Way out of whack. I'd say 15 mns a game.

About as crazy as a walk on from Vermont who only scored 4 points a games at vermont starting and being productive in the big 10. 

Jeez how longs it been since we saw that?

Just now, ray said:

I agree, which is why I don't see him as the "perfect fit" like so many others.  We have a lot of wings and a couple stud guards already on the roster.  I'm not saying his shooting won't be appreciated or he won't have an impact...I hope he does...but if he has a huge impact then it's likely because others couldn't perform to our expectations.  He'll likely play the role we hoped Clifton would play (the role Clifton mentioned wanting to play), which was outside.  I may be wrong, but I still wish we had landed another "true big" to play inside...if nothing else, to help Juwan, Race, and Forrester in practice.  I'm happy for him and I'm sure he'll contribute, if nothing else he'll force more effort from others in practice.  However, I don't see him as the big we "needed" to refresh Juwan or play for an injured Davis for lengthy amounts of time.

Sam Vecine made the point on Twitter that he (Sam) believed Fitzner was a nice addition for IU but also that ideally Fitzner was an insurance policy for IU’s younger players (Moore, Thompson, Forrester, etc.).

19 minutes ago, ray said:

When someone claims a player wasn't a 4-star recruit when I know he was I will point it out (even though rankings are admittedly subjective).

There is no point arguing whether the skills Davis successfully used to manhandle the opposition's defenders during stretches of some very big games is useful in basketball today.

It's all good  We just disagree.

There is no agreeing or disagreeing if he was a 4 star or not. I assumed everyone knew that? He's a JR now and that ranking that stood by his name 2 years ago is literally even less meaningful than it was back then. You don't play well.because of the amount of stars you have. My comment wasn't meant to be taken literal, like I know someones opinion of him was that he was a "4 star"... he hasn't played anywhere close to that. 

Manhandle? He doesn't even have a 20pt game to his name. 

Fitzner fits us better than Davis does.. bottom line. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

About as crazy as a walk on from Vermont who only scored 4 points a games at vermont starting and being productive in the big 10. 

Jeez how longs in been since we saw that?

You are right...effort means a lot.  If he brings effort like a certain kid from Indiana who started at Vermont, then I'll be pleased.  I still don't think he's the magical piece to the puzzle so many others seem to be suggesting, but I'm sure he'll contribute in some fashion...if not, then Archie wouldn't have offered him.

22 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Y’all, I like this pickup, but he’s listed at like 215 pounds, or five pounds less than Moore was last year at the same height. Additionally, he has no history of rim protection. He’s not functionally a 5. Could he play alongside Juwan and Smith? Sure, but I doubt he’ll be the one asked to guard Ward or Wesson et al. in such a lineup.

The guys asked to guard those bruisers before Fitzner will be, in some order dependent on health, availability, etc., Davis, Morgan, Thompson, Forrester, Moore, even Smith.

Shows 230 on ESPN 

4 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Sam Vecine made the point on Twitter that he (Sam) believed Fitzner was a nice addition for IU but also that ideally Fitzner was an insurance policy for IU’s younger players (Moore, Thompson, Forrester, etc.).

Sounds about right to me as his stats pretty much show he is not an instant impact guy. We have not seen Thompson play but he may be far better than Evan as we really do not know yet.

5 minutes ago, lillurk said:

13 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Not saying that he absolutely will, but let's see what Archie and the staff can do with him. Even if he never gets to 16/10, he's gonna help a lot, especially with Davis' injury and all the questions about his recovery or redshirting... and he can shoot the 3 at 40%.

My point is people tend to hype up guys that come in big time with unreal expectations and it happens every year. Heck I used to be guilty of it as well with guys like Hanner and Jeremy H.  I mean heck I remember some people even hyping up Jurkin  and Priller if you can believe that one.  I have learned to not expect big things from new players unless they are of a Romeo caliber.   Given this guy’s stats I expect him to play about 15 minutes a game. He seems to be a role player and not instant impact guy imo and that is what I will expect.

1 minute ago, Bailey7878 said:

My point is people tend to hype up guys that come in big time with unreal expectations and it happens every year. Heck I used to be guilty of it as well with guys like Hanner and Jeremy H.  I mean heck I remember some people even hyping up Jurkin  and Priller if you can believe that one.  I have learned to not expect big things from new players unless they are of a Romeo caliber.   Given this guy’s stats I expect him to play about 15 minutes a game. He seems to be a role player and not instant impact guy imo and that is what I will expect.

Who is hyping him up?.. I've only seen him mentioned as a role player. 

43 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

The point is he isn’t a freshman. If he was a freshman this is a different story. But he played at a St Mary’s program who was successful the last few years. He will contribute to the 2018-2019 IU basketball team. 

Edited by mjtavier

Some

Who is hyping him up?.. I've only seen him mentioned as a role player. 
Somebody was saying he was going to be a starter. I think several people actually.

1 minute ago, Bailey7878 said:

Some

Somebody was saying he was going to be a starter. I think several people actually.

Oh well.. just because you start doesn't mean you aren't a role player. But I am about positive it'll be Smith and Morgan at the 4 and 5

12 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Some

People are discussing the possibility. Because once again its less crazy than Mcroberts starting.