Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PG Ethan Morton to Purdue

17 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Pretty darn good but not lights out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

That is why I would like to see Morton and Leal in this class. I think Morton will be a solid shooter while I think Leal could develop into a Zeisloft type of shooter imo. 

Allderdice routed Butler 95-63 in the C.J. Betters Tournament.    As impressive as the offense was, the defense shined as well. The Dragons zone smothered Ethan Morton, one of the top juniors in the country, and held him to just 14 points.  Morton had 12 in the first half and was able to knock down his jump shots, but his trademark slashes to the basket just weren’t there.

I'd have to say this is one of the more intriguing recruits I've watched in a while. He seems like the kind of kid we want on the team, but the footage i'm seeing doesn't match the numbers he's putting up. Granted, it's a small sample size, but if you were to show me the footage available online and didn't give me his stats, I'd probably put him about 40 spots lower than his consensus ranking. And I certainly don't see high-level PG skills. That being said, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt and say I just haven't seen enough of his game.

Game already played his morning.

Butler High School Athletics‏ @GTathletics1

Boys Varsity Basketball with a win over Wheeling Central 84-65 in the Cancer Research Classic-Wes Banco Arena-Wheeling.  Ethan Morton led the Tornado with 29 pts and was named the game MVP

NextUpRecruits‏ @NextUpRecruits

Butler’s Ethan Morton has played a complete basketball game today, dominating in every facet of the game.  Hitting jumpers, scoring at the rim, rebounding, and making his teammates better.  Finished with a line of 29p-9r-15a-2b-4s.   Broke the event record for assists.

Good game follow-up from the PIttsburgh Post-Gazette

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-basketball/2019/01/08/Butler-Ethan-Morton-51-points-Pine-Richland-79-74-WPIAL-basketball/stories/201901080153

Morton, a 6-foot-6 point guard with a number of major-college scholarship offers, made 20 of 31 shots from the field, 11 of 13 from the free-throw line, pulled down eight rebounds and dished out eight assists. Against Pine-Richland’s man-to-man defense, he scored on drives and medium-range jumpers.   

32 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Good game follow-up from the PIttsburgh Post-Gazette

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-basketball/2019/01/08/Butler-Ethan-Morton-51-points-Pine-Richland-79-74-WPIAL-basketball/stories/201901080153

Morton, a 6-foot-6 point guard with a number of major-college scholarship offers, made 20 of 31 shots from the field, 11 of 13 from the free-throw line, pulled down eight rebounds and dished out eight assists. Against Pine-Richland’s man-to-man defense, he scored on drives and medium-range jumpers.   

So his team scored 74 points, and he either scored or had the assist on at least 67 of them. He was unable to assist on the free throws shot by his teammates.

Mike White - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

High school notebook: Big E — Ethan Morton is close to a "triple-double" player for Butler

Ethan Morton goes into games with an open mind. Butler is never quite sure what defense an opponent will throw at Morton, so he has no pre-conceived notions of exactly what he must do for his team to achieve success.

So he just does everything.

Scores a lot.

Rebounds a lot.

Passes a lot.

Morton is a 6-foot-5 point guard who has been highly touted for a few years. But what Morton is doing in his junior season deserves more accolades. He is having a season that is extremely rare in the WPIAL — or any level of basketball.

This statistic says it all: Morton is eight assists away from averaging a triple-double.

Morton is the third-leading scorer in the WPIAL at 28.1 points a game. He also is averaging 10.4 rebounds and 9.8 assists a game. His performance against Seneca Valley this past Tuesday was typical of his do-what-it-takes attitude. He had 19 points, nine below his average, but he had 19 rebounds and 12 assists.

“What he does, I think we take for granted sometimes,” Butler coach Matt Clement said. “But when you sit back and think about it, it’s like, ‘Wow.’”

It should be pointed out that Butler isn’t padding his statistics, either. Two or three people chart statistics for Butler at games, and then the team has a statistician double-check film.

“How teams are defending him might call for a different way for him to play,” Clement said. “But his No. 1 thought always is, how are we going to win? If it takes 0 points, but 30 assists and 20 rebounds, then he’ll try to do that. But I doubt there is a kid walking around the WPIAL who is more unselfish as far as just wanting to win first.”

Oscar Robertson is one of only two players in NBA history to average a triple-double for the entire season. He was the Big O. The way Morton is going, he is the Big E of the WPIAL. Besides his averages, Morton is shooting 53 percent from the field, 33 percent from 3-point range and 82 percent from the free-throw line for a Butler team that is 11-3.

Morton has scholarship offers from Pitt, Indiana, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Virginia, Stanford, Oregon and many others.

“I’ve said it before that he’s getting recruited, not just because of his scoring, but because of his versatility, his basketball IQ and how unique he is,” said Clement.