Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2020) PG Ethan Morton to Purdue

59 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hi Bailey7878.

Was wondering why you disappeared, but I guess this is how you re-appeared!

15 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Who?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Will he answer?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Likely not.  He just registered at HSN as Bedford1432.  Four posts in 7 minutes.  Stuhoo ran him off!!

It's only freaking May

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The angst isn’t truly coming from 2020 recruiting. It’s coming from the way 2019 has ended.

Brooks-No

Brunk- Yes

Harris- No

Quinones- No

I feel like I’m missing some no’s here but maybe it’s just the casual glances.

Anyway, since the losing streak, Indiana doesn’t “feel” to have any momentum and end of season 2019 recruiting points to that.

We haven’t even targeted any “Whales” in 2020 anyway. Mostly 3 and 4 star guys. No one that jumps off the page.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The angst isn’t truly coming from 2020 recruiting. It’s coming from the way 2019 has ended.

Brooks-No

Brunk- Yes

Harris- No

Quinones- No

Anyway, since the losing streak, Indiana doesn’t “feel” to have any momentum and end of season 2019 recruiting points to that.

We haven’t even targeted any “Whales” in 2020 anyway. Mostly 3 and 4 star guys. No one that jumps off the page.

Caleb Love is "whale-ish".

That's about it - lots of in-state 2012 whales.

Brooks-No
Brunk- Yes
Harris- No
Quinones- No

I think for 2020 part of that is the skill in the state. It didn’t seem we were really ever going after that level of player even last summer with who we tracked. Almost feels like he expects TJD to come back next year 2020 and that is our go to.

Caleb Love is "whale-ish".
That's about it - lots of in-state 2012 whales.

It would be interesting to hear from Archie why his recruiting from 2018 to 2019 to 2020 to 2021 are so vastly different. It seems they have a specific plan for each year. I don’t necessarily agree with their plan for bringing in shooters. I felt that was a glaring need for 2018. We are pretty much through the 2019 cycle and we still need them. I know he brought Damezi in to be that guy. But I feel you need at least 3 legit shooters. Preferably at different positions. I guess we will see.

29 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Brooks-No

Brunk- Yes

Harris- No

Quinones- No

The loss of recruiting momentum seems really overblown to me. Brooks is the only one I consider a real miss. Archie was planning to fill one spot, and the plan was for that to be Brooks. But losing a guy to Kentucky is not a sign that our recruiting is suffering. It would have been bad if we lost him to MSU, but Kentucky is an elite recruiting destination.

We were in on Harris and Quinones, but those were guys Archie got in on late in the game. Yes, we finished second on Harris, but I'm not sure he was ever really very interested. We weren't high on his list the first time around. It sucks to feel like we were close and missed, and Archie had to go after those guys because there was a small chance to get really good players, but missing out on what was effectively a hail mary should not be a surprise.

Of course Archie needs to get some good recruits for 2020, but there's still plenty of time. Sure it would be great to have a couple guys locked up, but it's not a big deal that we don't. If we're still sitting here with no recruiting movement in November, then there's reason to be worried. 

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It is certainly possible that Archie desperately wanted Morton and Morton eliminated IU, but I find the other scenario much, much more plausible given history and the fact that other than Purdue, IU is the only other school Morton took an official too.  

According to the Pittsburgh paper Archie had another home visit with Morton a little over a week ago. Morton is a PG while Leal and Galloway are SG’s. The staff worked hard to get Morton. I think we just plain lost, which happens in recruiting, rather than backed off. 

12 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

According to the Pittsburgh paper Archie had another home visit with Morton a little over a week ago. Morton is a PG while Leal and Galloway are SG’s. The staff worked hard to get Morton. I think we just plain lost, which happens in recruiting, rather than backed off. 

I think he's just a guard, not really a straight point guard. In AAU he shares the backcourt with Davis who could also be classified as a point guard and who IU also recently offered.

If IU was a finalist and he picked Purdue, then I'd absolutely be thinking that Archie just lost/missed. But clearly with IU not even in the final group something changed, other than Morton just picking Purdue over IU. Nothing in Archie's resume tells me he would have botched things so bad to get eliminated by a kid he was putting the full court press on. 

You are quite right.  We basically only hear what we want to hear and don't want to hear what we don't want to hear.  Nature of the beast.  Oftentimes, it's how the opposing view is expressed and not necessarily the message itself.  Problem of written communication versus verbal.

So much this! I remember going back and forth with JSHoosier over Crean many years before he was fired. I was supportive of Crean, the IU coach, in hopes he’d figure something out on the board while questioning the crap out of him through dm’s with several other posters. What JSHoosier was questioning was almost exactly what I was questioning but the way in which I read the messages I didn’t like. Ditto for so much more stuff that’s posted on here.

On Morton, either IU cooler on him or he cooled on IU. My preference, if it’s the route the Archie and Co. is taking, would be to pass on Morton, land Galloway and/or Leal, and get Lander in 2021 to take over for Phin upon graduation. Would all parties be happy or would we have a chance with Lander if we had a senior Phin, a sophomore Morton, and then perused Lander? That would be a lot of PGs for not a lot of playing time.

Just now, BGleas said:

I think he's just a guard, not really a straight point guard. In AAU he shares the backcourt with Davis who could also be classified as a point guard and who IU also recently offered.

If IU was a finalist and he picked Purdue, then I'd absolutely be thinking that Archie just lost/missed. But clearly with IU not even in the final group something changed, other than Morton just picking Purdue over IU. Nothing in Archie's resume tells me he would have botched things so bad to get eliminated by a kid he was putting the full court press on. 

No way to know but I don’t think Archie made another home visit to tell him we lost interest. There could be a million scenarios. Maybe Morton was concerned about being behind Rob for two years, maybe he liked the other teams offensive schemes more, who knows.

35 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

No way to know but I don’t think Archie made another home visit to tell him we lost interest. There could be a million scenarios. Maybe Morton was concerned about being behind Rob for two years, maybe he liked the other teams offensive schemes more, who knows.

Yup, we literally have no idea what happened. Time to move on. Regardless of who IU has/doesn't have the proof will be in the pudding on the court. Maybe Morton kills us while at Purdue, maybe he's a dud and whoever IU gets turns out the better player. We will see. 

24 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And two hours later, after 18 quick posts, Bailey/Hornsby/Bedford gets this response on his new board:

"Bedford, you are a newcomer to this board. Thus far, it appears as though you have come here with an agenda that rubs a lot of folks the wrong way. For someone with all of 3 posts in their history, your opinions give the impression of being here for only one purpose, which is to troll"

lol

Haters gonna hate

Shooters gonna shoot

TROLLS GONNA TROLL

On 5/8/2019 at 2:30 PM, Stuhoo said:

And two hours later, after 18 quick posts, Bailey/Hornsby/Bedford gets this response on his new board:

"Bedford, you are a newcomer to this board. Thus far, it appears as though you have come here with an agenda that rubs a lot of folks the wrong way. For someone with all of 3 posts in their history, your opinions give the impression of being here for only one purpose, which is to troll"

lol

You guys have way way waay too much time of you hands.Wow time for you to get back to work.