Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Iugradman

IU Athletics Facilities Photo Thread

Michigan isn’t that good right now and Michigan State is nothing special. Ohio State and Penn State are strong programs, but IU could be a consistent 7-8 wins/season program if it really wanted to.

29 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Michigan isn’t that good right now and Michigan State is nothing special. Ohio State and Penn State are strong programs, but IU could be a consistent 7-8 wins/season program if it really wanted to.

Oh im sure they want it lol.  

And 7-8 wins is not wisconsin level. 

Until realignment there is no chance of ever being on the level of wisconsin. 

Why? If we go 1 in 2 against those teams that’s only 2 losses on the season, where some playoff teams end up.

Look at what Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio State have done in basketball with bluebloods like IU and Michigan State in their conference.

It just takes the right combo of time, money resources and there is no reason IU can’t get their.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Why? If we go 1 in 2 against those teams that’s only 2 losses on the season, where some playoff teams end up.

Look at what Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio State have done in basketball with bluebloods like IU and Michigan State in their conference.

It just takes the right combo of time, money resources and there is no reason IU can’t get their.

Michigan isn’t going to stay down for long

9 hours ago, Iugradman said:

That is a defeatist attitude. Florida is a football school. So is Michigan. And Ohio State. And Wisconsin. Notre Dame too. But they all have had far greater success than IU in basketball over the last decade plus. It all starts with football. Kentucky is a “basketball school” but is investing like crazy in their football program because they know how lucrative success in that sport can be. Kansas is planning to spend over $300 million to upgrade its football stadium and facilities. 

Football has to be priority number one. IU has never understood that. You can’t complain about being a “have not” in the Big Ten while refusing to do the basic things necessary to no longer be a doormat. Well, I guess at IU you can.

I'm laughing.   Defeatist?  No.  It's not.   It's simply the way it is.  Why don't Rutgers or Nebraska ever win the Big Ten in basketball?   Why doesn't Wake Forest win the ACC in basketball?   Why doesn't Kentucky win the SEC in football?   And they still won't despite having spent "investing like crazy" in their football facilities.  That will change exactly nothing for them.  Won't matter a lick.  They will never,. ever, ever,. ever, ever be a consistent winner in the SEC.  Ever. Won't happen.  And they could invest a billion dollars.  Oklahoma State is in a bad conference, and still with T. Boone Pickens' money, they're not a consistent contender nationally, despite what they did a year ago.   They have finished the season ranked higher than #11 exactly one time in the last 35 years despite "making football the priority."    Do you believe Kentucky will all of a sudden be on the level of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, etc?  If so, I'd like to talk to you about some ocean-front property I own in West Virginia.  I'll sell it to you cheap.

Sometimes, you are what you are.   And you named it above.   In the history of the Big Ten conference, Indiana has the worst all time record, including the University of Chicago.   Indiana is no longer a doormat in football; they just are not and will not be at the level of OSU or Michigan   Hell, Penn State had Jerry Sandusky, and 3 years later is competing for a BCS bowl bid.  History matters, and recognizing that doesn't make me a defeatist.  It makes me rational.   Our recruiting results (and by the way, our budget) continue to improve and increase.  Win totals are climbing...albeit slowly.  We are competitive now with programs we haven't been for a century..  But if you truly believe a football only facility would drastically change what Indiana is, I invite the answer because, like UK, I don't think it would change one thing.

What in the holy hell are you talking about that football has to be priority number one?  Why?  At Indiana??  Why?  Help me.   What happens if football becomes priority #1?   What changes?  You think making it a priority and needlessly spending millions equals....what, more money?  More...what?   Indiana University Sports Properties is top 15 in the country right NOW.  Ahead of many schools where football IS priority #1.

You can;t possibly believe IU's lack of success in basketball over the last 20 years has to do with anything except hiring the wrong coaches.  Right?  Please tell me I'm right.   John Belein, Thad Matta/Chris Holtmann, Mike Brey, and Bo Ryan had a little to do with the success those schools had.  Do just a minimal amount of research and check resume's of Mike Davis and Tom Crean.  Talk to me then about how.....FOOTBALL has anything at all to do with that.   The two have absolutely nothing to do with one another.  Z E R O.  

Indiana is hardly a "have not" in the Big Ten.  Frankly, given your statements above, it's a wonder they're still among revenue leaders in the Big Ten.  But....they are.  Please tell me you have an understanding that Indiana, men's basketball drives the bus.  Which is why we have an elite basketball only facility.  Which is why CBS and ESPN request Indiana more than any other Big Ten team, despite our last 20 years.  Indiana does not need football to do more than it's doing for any other reason than paying some more of the bills.  Indiana has one of the smallest stadiums in the Big Ten.  You can't get to it.   They are doing absolutely the best they can with what they have; and their facility will soon be the most technologically advanced in the Big Ten.  Maybe one of the most in the country.  I still have no idea what you're trying to convince us of, other than you think Fred Glass should have invested differently.   To what end?    Why?  

I'm laughing.   Defeatist?  No.  It's not.   It's simply the way it is.  Why don't Rutgers or Nebraska ever win the Big Ten in basketball?   Why doesn't Wake Forest win the ACC in basketball?   Why doesn't Kentucky win the SEC in football?   And they still won't despite having spent "investing like crazy" in their football facilities.  That will change exactly nothing for them.  Won't matter a lick.  They will never,. ever, ever,. ever, ever be a consistent winner in the SEC.  Ever. Won't happen.  And they could invest a billion dollars.  Oklahoma State is in a bad conference, and still with T. Boone Pickens' money, they're not a consistent contender nationally, despite what they did a year ago.   They have finished the season ranked higher than #11 exactly one time in the last 35 years despite "making football the priority."    Do you believe Kentucky will all of a sudden be on the level of Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, etc?  If so, I'd like to talk to you about some ocean-front property I own in West Virginia.  I'll sell it to you cheap.
Sometimes, you are what you are.   And you named it above.   In the history of the Big Ten conference, Indiana has the worst all time record, including the University of Chicago.   Indiana is no longer a doormat in football; they just are not and will not be at the level of OSU or Michigan   Hell, Penn State had Jerry Sandusky, and 3 years later is competing for a BCS bowl bid.  History matters, and recognizing that doesn't make me a defeatist.  It makes me rational.   Our recruiting results (and by the way, our budget) continue to improve and increase.  Win totals are climbing...albeit slowly.  We are competitive now with programs we haven't been for a century..  But if you truly believe a football only facility would drastically change what Indiana is, I invite the answer because, like UK, I don't think it would change one thing.
What in the holy hell are you talking about that football has to be priority number one?  Why?  At Indiana??  Why?  Help me.   What happens if football becomes priority #1?   What changes?  You think making it a priority and needlessly spending millions equals....what, more money?  More...what?   Indiana University Sports Properties is top 15 in the country right NOW.  Ahead of many schools where football IS priority #1.
You can;t possibly believe IU's lack of success in basketball over the last 20 years has to do with anything except hiring the wrong coaches.  Right?  Please tell me I'm right.   John Belein, Thad Matta/Chris Holtmann, Mike Brey, and Bo Ryan had a little to do with the success those schools had.  Do just a minimal amount of research and check resume's of Mike Davis and Tom Crean.  Talk to me then about how.....FOOTBALL has anything at all to do with that.   The two have absolutely nothing to do with one another.  Z E R O.  
Indiana is hardly a "have not" in the Big Ten.  Frankly, given your statements above, it's a wonder they're still among revenue leaders in the Big Ten.  But....they are.  Please tell me you have an understanding that Indiana, men's basketball drives the bus.  Which is why we have an elite basketball only facility.  Which is why CBS and ESPN request Indiana more than any other Big Ten team, despite our last 20 years.  Indiana does not need football to do more than it's doing for any other reason than paying some more of the bills.  Indiana has one of the smallest stadiums in the Big Ten.  You can't get to it.   They are doing absolutely the best they can with what they have; and their facility will soon be the most technologically advanced in the Big Ten.  Maybe one of the most in the country.  I still have no idea what you're trying to convince us of, other than you think Fred Glass should have invested differently.   To what end?    Why?  
Great post.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have done some thinking....by the pool with a cold beer in my hand...where I do my best work.   And I still cannot process the argument that ....at Indiana University; football should be made the priority....over men's basketball.

IU has > 440,000 living alumni.   I truly wonder how many of those people buy that argument.   I would bet less than 25.   

Fred Glass himself recently said IU is a “have not.” As for basketball, Cook Hall is OK, but it certainly isn’t the nicest facility in the country. Louisville has a better one.

Basketball revenue at IU is basically maxed out. Football is an untapped gold mine that has the potential to be much more lucrative if managed properly. Tom Allen is the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten. IU does not have a football only facility. Other schools point to these two facts when recruiting against us. I don’t know how many times I have to say this, but people who follow IU football for a living understand what a detriment this is to the program. And it could easily be fixed.

As for the increases in athletics revenue, you can thank the Big Ten Network for that. I think the most recent pay out to each school was over $50 million. The reason the payout was so large is due to the football powers who drive viewership. Indiana is taking the money and not doing its part to keep pace with other schools. Men’s basketball, the flagship sport, is just now getting a decent locker room.

Fred Glass himself recently said IU is a “have not.” As for basketball, Cook Hall is OK, but it certainly isn’t the nicest facility in the country. Louisville has a better one.
Basketball revenue at IU is basically maxed out. Football is an untapped gold mine that has the potential to be much more lucrative if managed properly. Tom Allen is the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten. IU does not have a football only facility. Other schools point to these two facts when recruiting against us. I don’t know how many times I have to say this, but people who follow IU football for a living understand what a detriment this is to the program. And it could easily be fixed.
As for the increases in athletics revenue, you can thank the Big Ten Network for that. I think the most recent pay out to each school was over $50 million. The reason the payout was so large is due to the football powers who drive viewership. Indiana is taking the money and not doing its part to keep pace with other schools. Men’s basketball, the flagship sport, is just now getting a decent locker room.

I agree. I don’t know how many times you have to say this. But you have made it a point to say it over and over. The people that agree with you agree. The people that don’t, don’t. Move on. Please. Please stop repeating yourself in every thread.

I agree. I don’t know how many times you have to say this. But you have made it a point to say it over and over. The people that agree with you agree. The people that don’t, don’t. Move on. Please. Please stop repeating yourself in every thread.

Seems like the appropriate thread, no?

I am a huge IU basketball and a somewhat IU football fan and most people are. IU is 80% there in the second biggest revenue generating sport and like 20% there in the biggest revenue generating sport. Not sure why it is even a debate that football is a huge opportunity area and thus should be on the front burner for resources.

People that debate that are missing he forest for the trees. No reason iu cannot be a football and basketball powers house and top 5 overall in revenue. It’s not like we can only be good at one sport.

We have been living off our history in basketball for way too long and finally might have the coach to change that and could change that in a year or two.

Football... needs a lot of help and cannot be solved in a year or two but if it can be solved can generate a ton of upside

1 hour ago, MikeRoberts said:

I am a huge IU basketball and a somewhat IU football fan and most people are. IU is 80% there in the second biggest revenue generating sport and like 20% there in the biggest revenue generating sport. Not sure why it is even a debate that football is a huge opportunity area and thus should be on the front burner for resources.

People that debate that are missing he forest for the trees. No reason iu cannot be a football and basketball powers house and top 5 overall in revenue. It’s not like we can only be good at one sport.

We have been living off our history in basketball for way too long and finally might have the coach to change that and could change that in a year or two.

Football... needs a lot of help and cannot be solved in a year or two but if it can be solved can generate a ton of upside

The football team has been a lot closer to being relevant than it appears. We all keep pointing to IUFB's inability to "get over the hump," but that hump has been very palpable in recent seasons. 

The 2015 team was literally three plays away from going 9-4: one stop in the Rutgers collapse, one stop against Michigan at the end of regulation, and the Duke game.

The 2016 team had enough talent to be a 10 win team, but undisciplined, turnover prone football (namely due to Lagow) led to giveaway losses against Wake Forest, Nebraska, and Penn State, and we lost the bowl game to a good Utah team by 2 several weeks after our coach got fired.

The deficiencies at the QB position, stemming from Wilson's inability to pull in literally anyone of marginal quality beyond Sudfeld, resulted in the 2017 team losing winnable games against Michigan, Michigan State, Maryland, and Purdue. 

I know...we've been through this before and good teams find a way to win some of those games. But IUFB has not been consistently competitive on a season-to-season basis like this in 30 years. We now have the defensive prowess and recruiting classes to field teams that actually have a ceiling of 8-10 wins on a near annual basis. That's tremendous progress. The wins will hopefully come, but it's asinine for anyone to suggest IU is doing something wrong in developing its football program, especially given the division we're in.

Winning will change the culture of the fan base and put butts in the stands. It's not like the student body doesn't want to have a competitive program to support. Oregon, West Virginia, Iowa, and Virginia Tech all create a formidable gameday atmosphere without needing 90,000+ stadium capacities. The program really isn't as far away as a lot of people are making it out to be. If Allen keeps the program heading where it appears to be going and we finally catch a couple of breaks here and there, we should be right there with the rest of the middle-of-the-pack programs who routinely upset bigger programs and occasionally have a chance at a special season.

12 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

Again, help me understand :

1)  The revenue generating possibilities for football.   Apart from ticket sales, which in the scheme of things is a miniscule number.   Why do we need that money?   What would change?  Indiana generates > $106 million in revenue now; operates in the black; and Indiana University Sports Properties already generates revenue in the top 15 in the country.    What is the upside in football?    How much?  How long?  How consistent?  (Key)

2)  You and gradman have been advocating a "football only" facility.   How does that generate revenue?  (Naming rights, but what can you get for that?  Can you pay for the building in even 20 years?)

3)   "We have been living off our history in basketball for way too long."   Welcome to Indiana University.  Why is this in any way a problem?   Revenues have been up every year for at least the last 7 and continue to climb.   I fail to see the importance of the argument you guys are making.  Indiana will never be a TV football darling, nor ever receive the kind of revenue schools like Michigan, Ohio State, or Notre Dame do.   Kansas made a run a few years ago (2007) and was top 10 in football.  Where is that program, now?  Seen 'em on TV?  In the 10 seasons since?  They have won a total of 28 games.   2.8 games a year.  What would be different here?  

Basketball has always driven and will always drive the bus at Indiana.  You don't have to like it, and you are obviously free to disagree with it.  But a simple look at numbers, history, and revenue / donations should tell you all you need to know.

Honestly I would rather they continue focusing on baseball and soccer. Revenue aside you choose where you focus and I would rather have the best baseball and soccer program in the conference than a middle of the pack football program. 

Becuase honestly I think we can achieve a middle of the football program while still focusing on baseball and soccer. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Honestly I would rather they continue focusing on baseball and soccer. Revenue aside you choose where you focus and I would rather have the best baseball and soccer program in the conference than a middle of the pack football program. 

Becuase honestly I think we can achieve a middle of the football program while still focusing on baseball and soccer. 

Well that's not very smart. 

37 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah much smarter to throw money, resources and focus away on an impossible fantasy. 

Now if divisional realognment happens i will probably change my tune

There's no reason IU can't be a consistent 7-8 win team, even with the divisions the way they are now. Football is a huge untapped resource. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There's no reason IU can't be a consistent 7-8 win team, even with the divisions the way they are now. Football is a huge untapped resource. 

Like i said middle of the pack. Theres no reason we cant achieve that with the current resource allocation 

I want the school to invest in football because I want to ******* win. IU sucked when I was there and it still sucks now. Every other school has had a few seasons when it broke through. There is a lot of positive spillover into the university if its sports teams are successful. Butler has been booming due to the success of its basketball program. IU doesn’t understand that.

Do people enjoy being a laughingstock and having nothing to cheer for on Saturdays? What the hell is the point of having an athletics department if not to win? It seems like Fred has convinced a bunch of our fanbase, like Crean did, to accept and even embrace mediocrity.

2 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

I want the school to invest in football because I want to ******* win. IU sucked when I was there and it still sucks now. Every other school has had a few seasons when it broke through.

Do people enjoy being a laughingstock and having nothing to cheer for on Saturdays? What the hell is the point of an athletics department if not to win? It seems like Fred has convinced a bunch of our fanbase, like Crean did, to accept and even embrace mediocrity.

Success isnt something you can just buy. If it were our basketball team would have won something in the last 30 years

Like i said middle of the pack. Theres no reason we cant achieve that with the current resource allocation 

No reason other then almost our entire history of a program.

Decades and decades of the same suggest we need to adjust a few things. You know the saying so I won’t type it but it was made for situations like ours