Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Iugradman

IU Athletics Facilities Photo Thread

Think about this- IU has one of the best baseball facilities in the Big Ten but the worst football facilities. Until this year, the men’s basketball locker room was one of the worst in the conference. What does that tell you about the school’s priorities? They are messed up.

52 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Think about this- IU has one of the best baseball facilities in the Big Ten but the worst football facilities. Until this year, the men’s basketball locker room was one of the worst in the conference. What does that tell you about the school’s priorities? They are messed up.

They have prioritized basketball.  Which is what Indiana University SHOULD prioritize.  IU's football facilities are much better than those at Northwestern, Rutgers, and very much on par with Minnesota, Illinois, Maryland, and Michigan State.   I haven't seen Iowa in 25 years, but it used to be a dump; and Purdue's overall facilities are not as nice all around as Indiana's are.  We will never have the football facilities Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State do.   Just not ever gonna' happen.    But if you break down numbers, Indiana generates > $54M in rights and licensing.   That's top 15 in the country.  That's driven by basketball.  Football, even if we poured money into it, MIGHT genrate another $750K in ticket sales and $1M in licensing/rights fees.  Maybe.  That would put Indiana about the same spot they are now as it relates to revenue.  No way to get the bang for that financial buck; so they have spent their money on football; but also included other sports.   The baseball facility, for example, can host tournaments and NCAA tournament rounds now whether IU plays or not.   The football program can't do that.  Hence the better baseball facility.

Indiana Athletics generates over $106M in revenue, despite a small football stadium, relatively speaking.   That's more than UCLA, Illinois, Missouri, Arizona State, Colorado, North Carolina, Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Arizona.  It generates $20 million more than Purdue.  Of the top "basketball first" schools, only Kentucky generates more revenue; and much of that is branding and ticket/concession sales at Rupp Arena, which is an off campus facility that sells alcohol and seats 24,000 people.  

Oh....and in 2016-2017, where these numbers came from?   IU had its first year over $100M.   In 2016, it was $95M.  In 2015, it was $88M.  In 2014, it was $84M.  In 2013, it was $76M.  In 2012, it was $72M.   Things are going in the right direction, despite not having a "football only" facility.  

Northwestern just opened a sparkling football facility on the shores of Lake Michigan. It is truly stunning. They have some of the best facilities in the country, as does Purdue after it opened its football performance complex last year.

I’m just saying IU could have a beautiful football complex that demonstrates to recruits and the rest of the country that it truly takes football seriously. It is hard enough to recruit to IU, so why shoot yourself in the foot by not having a football only facility? Don’t give the opposition ammo. The mentality needs to change to be a consistent bowl team.

With respect to basketball, after the locker room is renovated, we need a players’ dorm. Kentucky and Kansas have that. We can build one for $15 million or so. But unfortunately I doubt McRobbie and Glass would ever approve of such a project. We have to treat all sports equally, after all.

Northwestern just opened a sparkling football facility on the shores of Lake Michigan. It is truly stunning. They have some of the best facilities in the country, as does Purdue after it opened its football performance complex last year.

I’m just saying IU could have a beautiful football complex that demonstrates to recruits and the rest of the country that it truly takes football seriously. It is hard enough to recruit to IU, so why shoot yourself in the foot by not having a football only facility? Don’t give the opposition ammo. The mentality needs to change to be a consistent bowl team.

With respect to basketball, after the locker room is renovated, we need a players’ dorm. Kentucky and Kansas have that. We can build one for $15 million or so. But unfortunately I doubt McRobbie and Glass would ever approve of such a project. We have to treat all sports equally, after all.

You know, that whole capital budget thing... Seriously do you not understand that concept? This is like a broken record convo. If you don’t understand how they get money, who decides where the money goes, or planning, please stop. This isn’t an IU problem. This is a you problem with lack of understanding while not listening to many people on here that have explained this to you. Literally everything you have complained about when it comes to Glass has been swatted down. From the hiring of our baseball coach being a cheap move to our facilities being **** and again being a Glass issue. Seriously, we get it. You don’t like Glass. Congratulations, you cannot make a comprehensive realistic argument as to why he can be gone. I am sorry he kicked your cat as is he I am sure. I am also sure he has probably sat in his office laughing at some of your posts. I know I would.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm probably in the minority, but I really don't care about football only facility.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Iugradman said:

The people who follow IU sports for a living know that not having a football only facility is an issue that negatively affects recruiting. It is a fact no matter how much anyone dismisses it.

And yet recruiting seems to be doing better than anytime in recent history

What recruit(s) has Indiana lost because it does not have a football only facility?   (That's a technicality, though accurate)    Looking at the 2019 commits, here is a list of some schools that offered scholarships to kids who have committed to Indiana despite the lack of said facility :

Arizona, Arizona State, Boston College, Kentucky, Purdue, Arkansas, Baylor, Miami (FL), Syracuse, Iowa, Maryland, Louisville, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, NC State, Virginia, Ole Miss, Mississippi State...     Indiana is and will always be a basketball first school.   They will catch lightening in a bottle from time to time; but you have to be realistic and understand Indiana is in a football division with Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.  Three blue bloods in the history of NCAA football.  

It'd be the same thing (ficticiously) as Iowa State being in a basketball division with Duke, Indiana, and North Carolina.  Or substitute Kansas or Kentucky for any.   Yeah, they'll win once in a while; but at some point, you sort of have to know where you stand.   Indiana Football is in better shape as a program than it's been maybe ever; and getting better.   Even with a football only facility, nothing really changes, which is probably a reason it's not a priority.

You combine the north end zone facility and the south end zone facility and you pretty much have all the bells and whistles of what Purdue now has with their football only facility. Fred Glass recently mentioned Armstrong Stadium upgrades at the next facilities project, I would say a new 120 yard indoor practice facility might be in order for football and the other sports.

8 hours ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

A school’s priority should be education.

By school I mean the athletics department. Good athletics facilities and education are in no way incompatible. The university itself isn’t funding athletics facilities.

10 hours ago, Old Friend said:

What recruit(s) has Indiana lost because it does not have a football only facility?   (That's a technicality, though accurate)    Looking at the 2019 commits, here is a list of some schools that offered scholarships to kids who have committed to Indiana despite the lack of said facility :

Arizona, Arizona State, Boston College, Kentucky, Purdue, Arkansas, Baylor, Miami (FL), Syracuse, Iowa, Maryland, Louisville, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, NC State, Virginia, Ole Miss, Mississippi State...     Indiana is and will always be a basketball first school.   They will catch lightening in a bottle from time to time; but you have to be realistic and understand Indiana is in a football division with Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State.  Three blue bloods in the history of NCAA football.  

It'd be the same thing (ficticiously) as Iowa State being in a basketball division with Duke, Indiana, and North Carolina.  Or substitute Kansas or Kentucky for any.   Yeah, they'll win once in a while; but at some point, you sort of have to know where you stand.   Indiana Football is in better shape as a program than it's been maybe ever; and getting better.   Even with a football only facility, nothing really changes, which is probably a reason it's not a priority.

That is a defeatist attitude. Florida is a football school. So is Michigan. And Ohio State. And Wisconsin. Notre Dame too. But they all have had far greater success than IU in basketball over the last decade plus. It all starts with football. Kentucky is a “basketball school” but is investing like crazy in their football program because they know how lucrative success in that sport can be. Kansas is planning to spend over $300 million to upgrade its football stadium and facilities. 

Football has to be priority number one. IU has never understood that. You can’t complain about being a “have not” in the Big Ten while refusing to do the basic things necessary to no longer be a doormat. Well, I guess at IU you can.

In general, football is a HUGE opportunity area. There is no reason we cannot have the football program that Michigan State or Wisconsin have. Funding, facilities, coaches, whatever it is has been lacking. Being 500 is not exciting and shouldn’t be the bar for success

We are trending up but coming from where we were, there really wasn’t any other direction to go

11 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

In general, football is a HUGE opportunity area. There is no reason we cannot have the football program that Michigan State or Wisconsin have. Funding, facilities, coaches, whatever it is has been lacking. Being 500 is not exciting and shouldn’t be the bar for success

We are trending up but coming from where we were, there really wasn’t any other direction to go

Until realignment there is no chance of ever being on the level of wisconsin.