Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

NCAA Commission on College Basketball Report

I’m just spitballing here, but would it be possible for the athletes to become employees of the NCAA? That way they could pay players directly and control the payroll. Still wouldn’t solve the issue of payments from shoe companies

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

... or the disparity between a man’s basketball player and a woman’s field hockey player. Paying student athletes (beyond a free education) is a slippery slope that very well could end all college athletics...

The argument for paying players is that universities make millions off of them from TV and ticket sales. While that is true, nearly all colleges operate at a loss and require student fees and donations to balance the budget. Athletes are in a sense getting paid already. The average tuition, fees, and boarding at an average state college are in the 30 to 50 thousand dollar range and well over 50 thousand at private schools. The average athlete puts in less time over the school year in athletics than a kid working a part-time job 15 to 20 hours per week.  So I think athletes have a pretty nice deal already. They get to do what they love doing and get paid really well for it. We just need to tweak the system a bit and also harshly punish the cheaters like UNC and Louisville for example. 

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

... or the disparity between a man’s basketball player and a woman’s field hockey player. Paying student athletes (beyond a free education) is a slippery slope that very well could end all college athletics...

I thought the extra stipends only applied to full athletic scholarship players. The majority of baseball players don’t get it, and woman’s field hockey wouldn’t either unless they were full rides. IMO the NCAA has already done more to damage their institution thru selective enforcement compared to paying athletes extra stipends.

On 4/25/2018 at 9:49 AM, Brass Cannon said:

The one and done has benefits people need to quit pretending it's all bad. 

That being said nothing in that report is anything new to this board. 

I doubt anything really changes

Just curious what you think the benefits of One & Done are?

Just now, Str8Hoosiers said:

Just curious what you think the benefits of One & Done are?

Fewer players are making the poor decision to jump to the draft only to not get drafted till the second round or not at all  

A lot of times these kid would have better resources to improve at a marquee college but are now excluded. 

People remember the lebrons, KGs and Kobes. People don't remember the multitude of high school busts who could have discovered they weren't all that great in a year of college and maybe went on to get a degree and 3-4 years of good coaching. 

Bot to mention helping teams make more informed draft choices. 

I disagree, if a kid makes that choice then he has to live with the consequences. You are saying 1&D helps the athlete because it stops them from having a choice, that maybe they make the wrong choice. Some obviously would but it also prevents some from making the right choice (because there is no choice to go immediately). I would also say most (very high%) of those that would consider going from high school do go after 1 year so they aren't getting an education nor the 3-4 years of good coaching and exposure.... maybe 2 but usually not.

Then the only other benefit of 1&D is for the NBA execs... 

And you didn't say it but the only benefit for the NCAA is that they can make money off these players for 1 year. However if they weren't in the NCAA it could eliminate a lot of issues that the NCAA has to deal with as well.

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

So helping 18 year olds not make disastrous life choices isn't a good thing. Gotcha

That is exactly what I am saying (sarcasm font).

HELPING them not make bad decisions would be a great thing and I am sure they all have plenty of people and resources to help them with that.... however FORCING them to not have a decision to make is not a good thing (in my opinion). Also FORCING some to make a bad decision (because it is the only option for even those Lebron/KD/Kobe's of the world) is not a good thing.

In my opinion it is not only a VERY bad thing it is also discrimination (age discrimination) which is illegal in so many other scenarios.

How about if you are allowed a choice to go to college if you get drafted or don’t out of high school. If you qualify for college the coach can take you. If you don’t stay for at least two years the program loses the scholarship for 3 years.

Studies have shown if a kid goes beyond one year he or she is exponentially more likely to eventually get their degree. I feel my scenario leaves options and choices based on real info. It also holds schools accountable for what type of kid they go after.

Just now, mdn82 said:

How about if you are allowed a choice to go to college if you get drafted or don’t out of high school. If you qualify for college the coach can take you. If you don’t stay for at least two years the program loses the scholarship for 3 years.

Studies have shown if a kid goes beyond one year he or she is exponentially more likely to eventually get their degree. I feel my scenario leaves options and choices based on real info. It also holds schools accountable for what type of kid they go after.

Agreed best case. I think that's why the baseball system bever gets any heat. The kids no exactly the situation they are going into and they can make an informed decision. 

The Adidas rep that arranged for the payments to Kansas players Preston and De Souza has pled guilty and agreed to cooperate with Federal prosecutors.

That's just incredible timing.

Also, someone needs to send Dollar Bill some Depends bc I hope he's pooping his pants right now.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

23 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The Adidas rep that arranged for the payments to Kansas players Preston and De Souza has pled guilty and agreed to cooperate with Federal prosecutors.

Would it be your opinion that he's got some really good gasoline to throw on the fire in return for the deal?

Would it be your opinion that he's got some really good gasoline to throw on the fire in return for the deal?

Not necessarily. He can take a plea, be fully debriefed, tell the complete truth, and still not be especially helpful in securing additional indictments.
If all he’s got is testimony to a purported conversation between himself and others, they won’t gain much benefit from his debriefing. That would be a ‘my word versus his’ contest between a proposed new defendant and someone who just admitted to a federal felony. On the other hand, if he’s got corroborated testimony or financial records to back up his testimony, he could be extraordinarily helpful. The only people that really know right now are the prosecutors, the agents who debriefed him, and his defense attorney.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The prosecutors are ultimately interested in obtaining convictions for the people they’ve already indicted.

A guy like him that takes a plea will earn sentencing guideline credit merely for taking the plea and saving the government the time, effort, and uncertainty of trying to convict him at trial.

However, if he provides useful testimony or information that leads to additional charges, he can also earn something called a “5K“ agreement. That agreement is submitted by the United States attorneys office on his behalf, and a sentencing judge can take it into consideration for further sentence reductions.

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Bet Dollar Bill’s sweating up a storm under that toupee!

I am fully convinced no matter what the FBI uncovers, the NCAA will do nothing to the cheaters regardless with universities and coaches involved. When your an academic institution and catch decades long cheating by one of your southern blue bloods and do nothing, what’s a little money changing hands? My hope is that at some near time, the Power 5 conferences strike out on their own and destroy the organization that selectively enforced their own laws.