Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

NCAA Commission on College Basketball Report

19 hours ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Just curious what you think the benefits of One & Done are?

I’ll jump in here too, and this doesn’t mean I’m fully in favor of the one and done, I’m not, but there has been some benefits for college basketball. From an entertainment perspective college basketball has absolutely benefitted from having Greg Oden, John Wall, Anthony Davis,  Kevin Love, etc., etc.

It’s miles away from a perfect system, but having these great players come to college, even if for just a year, has definitely provided some benefit to college basketball, and of course a lot of benefit to the NBA.  

20 minutes ago, schoosier said:

I am fully convinced no matter what the FBI uncovers, the NCAA will do nothing to the cheaters regardless with universities and coaches involved. When your an academic institution and catch decades long cheating by one of your southern blue bloods and do nothing, what’s a little money changing hands? My hope is that at some near time, the Power 5 conferences strike out on their own and destroy the organization that selectively enforced their own laws. 

I have seen this mentioned a few times. I'm not necessarily against it, but am curious how it will be any better than the NCAA? Won't it just be a case of SSDD? I mean if Kentucky, UNC, Louisville, Nike, AAU, etc are all corrupt and willing to screw their peers now by cheating.....how does blowing up the NCAA and replacing it with something else fix that? 

54 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’ll jump in here too, and this doesn’t mean I’m fully in favor of the one and done, I’m not, but there has been some benefits for college basketball. From an entertainment perspective college basketball has absolutely benefitted from having Greg Oden, John Wall, Anthony Davis,  Kevin Love, etc., etc.

It’s miles away from a perfect system, but having these great players come to college, even if for just a year, has definitely provided some benefit to college basketball, and of course a lot of benefit to the NBA.  

I completely agree the NCAA has benefited from having some of those players play for one year and move on.  However, we all know the real reason why they're not allowed to be drafted right out of high school.  The owners and GMs want that extra year to see how they play against better competition. 

Didn't Thon Maker leave right after high school?  He seems to be having an impact on the Bucks.  There are countless others that would have been fine jumping straight to the league. 

The NCAA will be just fine without the superstar one and done players as well.  The problem with the system is it's penetrable from multiple levels and coaches/programs believe the reward far outweighs the risk.  (it does at this point)  If this is ever going to look in anyway clean it'll have to be attacked on multiple levels.

Agents/Agencies found funneling money to recruits will be stripped of their license.

Programs/Coaches will actually be punished with fines and suspensions that impact the bottom line.

AAU programs will see coaches and managers, or the entire program, shut down if caught cheating.

You can't just fight it from one level and ignore the others.  If nothing is put in place after this FBI scandal then it will return to the cesspool it's been for decades.  Overall, the OAD effects college basketball very little.  The cheating was there before the OAD and will be there long after it's gone.  If proper penalties are in place that effect more than just a coach the cheating will be reduced to allow for an almost level playing field.

1 hour ago, Joe DeLow said:

I find it to be hilarious that people attack the NCAA for the one and done rule... when it is an NBA rule. Like all the players in the NBA think it is dumb... Yet they are the ones who helped decide it. The NBPA has more power over that decision than the NCAA.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using BtownBanners mobile app

The current rule in place that people think of with one and done is definitely an NBA rule, however the NCAA can very easily put its own rule in place so they get the blame as well in my opinion. If the NBA changes their rule then I agree this all goes away but NCAA has input on their own rules as well, they don't have to just sit back and accept the current state.

Some of the suggestions from the NCAA Commission etc are a great example of some steps they could take. Basically they can say a Scholarship is granted on a 2 or 3 year basis at least so if you are recruiting 1 and done players that is 1 less scholarship you have the next year (or 2). There would have to be all sorts of rules and clarifications of rules etc but it is a starting point.

As we move on to 2019 season........

Michigan State has a cheating coach and an utter lack of morals as an institution. Does anyone make Izzo pay for his misdeeds?

Kansas is wrapped up in a snuggie-like fashion by 4-5 cases of impropriety. Players clearly being paid left and right, front and back. Does anyone care? They are bringing in another star studded class. Who cares?

Duke has the #1,2, and now 5 ranked player in the country signed after The Bagley's virtually begged the NCAA to question their lavish new lifestyle. Does anyone care? Duke is untouchable.

Arizona......Miller was caught red handed, or was he? Broiling in controversy. Results paint a pretty clear picture. What gives?

$EC throwing cash around all over the place. Even Vanderbilt, yes Vanderbilt has acquired $EC standards. Alabama and Sexton.

Miami caught up...

Maryland involved...

And on and on...

But this offseason and next season appear to be moving ahead with everyone getting a pass except Louisville.

Will anything significant happen?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

As we move on to 2019 season........

Michigan State has a cheating coach and an utter lack of morals as an institution. Does anyone make Izzo pay for his misdeeds?

Kansas is wrapped up in a snuggie-like fashion by 4-5 cases of impropriety. Players clearly being paid left and right, front and back. Does anyone care? They are bringing in another star studded class. Who cares?

Duke has the #1,2, and now 5 ranked player in the country signed after The Bagley's virtually begged the NCAA to question their lavish new lifestyle. Does anyone care? Duke is untouchable.

Arizona......Miller was caught red handed, or was he? Broiling in controversy. Results paint a pretty clear picture. What gives?

$EC throwing cash around all over the place. Even Vanderbilt, yes Vanderbilt has acquired $EC standards. Alabama and Sexton.

Miami caught up...

Maryland involved...

And on and on...

But this offseason and next season appear to be moving ahead with everyone getting a pass except Louisville.

Will anything significant happen?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

They'll form another committee to tell everyone what everyone already knows. Dance a jig and talk about how everything will be better if they could just get the NBA to agree. All the while the big players in college basketball will be flipping the NCAA the bird.

Nothing will change unless the people in charge want change. They make wayyyy too much money to want change.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I get that it’s popular to rip the NCAA, but it’s the individual schools that sell their souls to the shoe companies and networks and keep this charade going. The day they decide they have a morale obligation to stop the cheating, that the ethical reasoning behind making millions and millions off of the hard work of athletes while pretending they’re students is weak at best, and that they’ve created a monster that is more important than the very purpose of their institution and it needs to end, then we may see real change.

That said, I expect this FBI investigation to result in serious punishments. It’s not that these schools cheated - it’s that they cheated the NCAA and other schools out of additional profit through under the table dealings. Punish the bad actors and get more of that money up top for the rest. The mob will have their fair share.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

6 hours ago, Tom White said:

Those read like canned, pre-written responses that would have been used regardless of what the commission's statement said. 

That's because the NABC(Coaches' association) were told to support the findings regardless.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/ncaa-commission-on-college-basketball-recommendations-nabc-email-letter-news-update/1tif6uf0jfxyp159d3sqfiq7rc

6 hours ago, Tom White said:

Those read like canned, pre-written responses that would have been used regardless of what the commission's statement said. 

What does he care?  K has already made his millions. He'll coach another few yrs and ride off into the sunset a multi-millionaire keeping his ill-gotten gains regardless of what happens to NCAA basketball. I'm sure he didn't learn his ethics from Westpoint or RMK. 

Yes, I am asserting that he is most definitely personally guilty of cheating. There is absolutely no chance he gets the recruits he has over the last several years without playing the same game as the rest if these vermin. None. Impossible.