Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

NCAA Commission on College Basketball Report

Full 53-page report can be read at:  https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/10715515/Commission_Report_Final_Web.pdf

Summary from the NCAA website:  https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-04-25/commission-college-basketball-announces-recommendations-ncaa

The paragraphs below are some of the major recommendastions from ESPN's summary:  http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23311712/commission-college-basketball-shares-recommendations-ncaa

The commission offered harsh assessments of toothless NCAA enforcement, as well as the shady summer basketball circuit that includes AAU leagues and brings together agents, apparel companies and coaches looking to profit on teenage prodigies. It called the environment surrounding college basketball "a toxic mix of perverse incentives to cheat," and said that responsibility for the current mess goes all the way up to university presidents.

The commission called for the NBA and its players' association to change rules requiring players to be at least 19 years old and a year removed from graduating high school to be draft-eligible. The rule was implemented in 2006 despite the success of straight-from-high-school stars such as LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett. The commission did, however, say that if the NBA and NBPA refuse to change their rules in time for the next basketball season, it would reconvene and consider other options for the NCAA, such as making freshmen ineligible or locking a scholarship for three or four years if the recipient leaves a program after one year.

"One-and-done has to go one way or another," Rice told the AP, expressing hope that the NBA would act.

When it came to enforcement, the commission recommended harsher penalties for rule-breakers and that the NCAA outsource the investigation and adjudication of the most serious infractions cases. Level I violations would be punishable with up to a five-year postseason ban and the forfeiture of all postseason revenue for the time of the ban. That could be worth tens of millions to major conference schools. 

Instead of show-cause orders, which are meant to limit a coach's ability to work in college sports after breaking NCAA rules, the report called for lifetime bans. 

The commission also called out university presidents, saying administrators can't be allowed to turn a blind eye to infractions.  To that end, the commission said university presidents should be required to "certify annually that they have conducted due diligence and that their athletic programs comply with NCAA rules."

If you connect some of this to the letter from NCAA to coaches saying to not argue and let us implement with the idea of cheaters get harsher penalties and combine that with 3rd party investigators then it is kind of new.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

They are recommendations.  The NCAA won't enforce harsher punishments or bring in a third party to investigate.  It's all lip service as a means to delay the collapse.  What incentive do these schools have in playing fairly?  None.  What incentive does the NCAA have to make sure everyone is treated fairly?  None.  They're ignorant and incompetent.  Things won't change until the NCAA is gone.

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

They are recommendations.  The NCAA won't enforce harsher punishments or bring in a third party to investigate.  It's all lip service as a means to delay the collapse.  What incentive do these schools have in playing fairly?  None.  What incentive does the NCAA have to make sure everyone is treated fairly?  None.  They're ignorant and incompetent.  Things won't change until the NCAA is gone.

At some point the big 5 conferences have to realize that they can make more money on their own. Right?

I am not sure they are ignorant or incompetent. Let’s be real. Emmert said it bluntly at the Final Four. The schools do not want athletes being employees of the school. That’s what this boils down to. If they were employees of the school, the school is accountable for the decisions their employees make. I guarantee if the schools paid players many things happening illegally would stop. For now? The coaches are accountable and are able to get by blaming AAU for the corruption. Think about it from that angle. The NCAA isn’t stupid. They are listening to their employer without stepping on their feet.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

I am not sure they are ignorant or incompetent. Let’s be real. Emmert said it bluntly at the Final Four. The schools do not want athletes being employees of the school. That’s what this boils down to. If they were employees of the school, the school is accountable for the decisions their employees make. I guarantee if the schools paid players many things happening illegally would stop. For now? The coaches are accountable and are able to get by blaming AAU for the corruption. Think about it from that angle. The NCAA isn’t stupid. They are listening to their employer without stepping on their feet.

The NCAA won't do anything because they make a boatload off of NCAAM basketball.  If the best players started going straight to the G League or overseas there would be a lot of people losing out on a lot of money, the NCAA having the most at stake.  Why would you decrease your income if you're not regulated? 

There are people at every level that knows what really happens but profit from it so they turn a blind eye.  The commission is an absolute joke to portray the NCAA actually wants to do something about the corruption.  They might make a few minor changes but college basketball will continue to be a cesspool until the NCAA collapses. 

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

I disagree completely. These guys are cheating to gain advantage, not to "help out" the players families. A couple thousand $$ stipend wouldn't change anything except for the marginal guys. The 5 stars would still command (and receive) a premium. 

I disagree completely. These guys are cheating to gain advantage, not to "help out" the players families. A couple thousand $$ stipend wouldn't change anything except for the marginal guys. The 5 stars would still command (and receive) a premium. 

Well that wasn’t what Emmert or I was talking about. So ok? Emmert was discussing the possibility of paying players substantially and them becoming an employee of the school. So yeah, I agree with your thoughts if that’s where the discussion was but it wasn’t.

The NCAA won't do anything because they make a boatload off of NCAAM basketball.  If the best players started going straight to the G League or overseas there would be a lot of people losing out on a lot of money, the NCAA having the most at stake.  Why would you decrease your income if you're not regulated? 
There are people at every level that knows what really happens but profit from it so they turn a blind eye.  The commission is an absolute joke to portray the NCAA actually wants to do something about the corruption.  They might make a few minor changes but college basketball will continue to be a cesspool until the NCAA collapses. 

I agree with that, but the schools has no reason to force the NCAA to change. Why would they force change? That is what I am saying. The NCAA doesn’t piss the schools off as a collective group too bad so they keep making money. The schools don’t have to pay players a lot so they are happy. They are also not legally culpable if the players are not employees of the school. I don’t think that makes them stupid. I think that makes them very smart.

27 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Well that wasn’t what Emmert or I was talking about. So ok? Emmert was discussing the possibility of paying players substantially and them becoming an employee of the school. So yeah, I agree with your thoughts if that’s where the discussion was but it wasn’t.

But how would that make things any better? You'd just have a small number of huge universities competing in bidding wars for the best players.  Then what, a salary cap?  Nobody would try to find ways around a salary cap by secret payments and incentives.

If we're going that route, just form a new professional basketball league and be done with it.

Harsher penalties would only be a deterrent until people find a way around the rules again.  Not really opposed, but the effectiveness would be limited.

Read an article about this.  Did she really bringing up possibly making freshmen ineligible again while saying a baseball type set up (go straight out of high school or stay 2-3 years) would breed contempt?  What does she think freshmen ineligibility would do?

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Harsher penalties would only be a deterrent until people find a way around the rules again.  Not really opposed, but the effectiveness would be limited.

Read an article about this.  Did she really bringing up possibly making freshmen ineligible again while saying a baseball type set up (go straight out of high school or stay 2-3 years) would breed contempt?  What does she think freshmen ineligibility would do?

They wouldn't need to find a way around the rules, and harsher penalties will do nothing, As we all saw with UNC if you deny it then you wont get punished at all.

8 minutes ago, BtownBanner6 said:

We'd have to see, she did mention outsourcing the investigation and punishment.

Outsourcing to who?  You would need subpoena power to get any documentation as proof.  The current system is broke.  A system to outsource wouldn't be much more effective when anyone with any sense tells them to get off their lawn.  

But how would that make things any better? You'd just have a small number of huge universities competing in bidding wars for the best players.  Then what, a salary cap?  Nobody would try to find ways around a salary cap by secret payments and incentives.
If we're going that route, just form a new professional basketball league and be done with it.

That is what Emmert said we won’t do because the University’s don’t want it. Therefore my argument was the NCAA was not stupid. They were just making money. The University’s don’t want change. Why pay someone when somebody else will? If the Universities pay the players they would be liable for them. They get to plead ignorance now. There won’t be change until the Universities want change. The arguments you guys are pulling from what I am saying is so far away from what I am trying to say. So I must be really bad today at getting my point across.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:33 PM, HoosierAloha said:

.......college basketball will continue to be a cesspool until the NCAA collapses. 

What do you envision it (the sport) becoming if the NCAA actually experiences the "collapse" you've been calling for? In what way do you see the situation becoming better? What (or who) would replace the NCAA as a governing body?

I personally don't see that as a good thing.

I’m just spitballing here, but would it be possible for the athletes to become employees of the NCAA? That way they could pay players directly and control the payroll. Still wouldn’t solve the issue of payments from shoe companies

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners