Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Cheaney40

Last Days Of Knight

8 minutes ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

Is there a place to rewatch it? I missed it

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It was never on regular cable. ESPN decided to put it on the new ESPN+ channel -- meaning you have to pay for it. I've read a review on it, saying it was as much about the reporter who uncovered the tape of Knight and Reid as anything. 

FYIW, I just found the review. Here it is ... 

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/reviewing-espns-the-last-days-of-knight-and-how-to-watch-for-free/

ESPN+ is offering a free trial so you can sign up and watch it at no cost to you if you decide to cancel your subscription.  

I'm anxiously waiting for the 30 for 30 on MSU and Baylor to come out (this is completely tongue in cheek).  I agree with the review that it was mostly about the reporter.  It was one sided at best as none of Bobby's supporters were on camera (maybe there weren't any, I don't know) 

My question is who was the person in Ohio who sent the tape to the reporter?  He said it showed up around 2000 (tape was from the 1997 season) and postmarked from Ohio...

Any thoughts on who was connected to IU in 1997 and would have had access to the tape and was then in Ohio a few years later?  

29 minutes ago, iuhoosierfan90 said:

ESPN+ is offering a free trial so you can sign up and watch it at no cost to you if you decide to cancel your subscription.  

I'm anxiously waiting for the 30 for 30 on MSU and Baylor to come out (this is completely tongue in cheek).  I agree with the review that it was mostly about the reporter.  It was one sided at best as none of Bobby's supporters were on camera (maybe there weren't any, I don't know) 

My question is who was the person in Ohio who sent the tape to the reporter?  He said it showed up around 2000 (tape was from the 1997 season) and postmarked from Ohio...

Any thoughts on who was connected to IU in 1997 and would have had access to the tape and was then in Ohio a few years later?  

I plan on cancelling my free trial now that I've seen the film. 

31 minutes ago, iuhoosierfan90 said:

This question was my initial reason I thought I'd start the thread .... I wanted others input ...

My initial thought was Dakich ...he was in Bowling Green from 97-07 and with his lack of respect for Bobby's shenanigans, I just assumed it was him

31 minutes ago, iuhoosierfan90 said:

I thought Ron Felling was behind this after Knight let him go. 

I watched it because of the free trial. I was really young when Coach Knight was fired so this was a good history lesson. It really did just show one side of it but it really painted a bad picture for how IU was in the late 90's. Kind of surprised ESPN did this since Knight worked for them. That being said Coach Knight is one of the greatest coaches ever. He is just a questionable human being. I think the "what's up Knight" was clearly set up by the University but they had plenty of stuff to fire him before that. I just hope Archie can lead IU into another great generation of success. It has been way too long. 

11 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I watched it because of the free trial. I was really young when Coach Knight was fired so this was a good history lesson. It really did just show one side of it but it really painted a bad picture for how IU was in the late 90's. Kind of surprised ESPN did this since Knight worked for them. That being said Coach Knight is one of the greatest coaches ever. He is just a questionable human being. I think the "what's up Knight" was clearly set up by the University but they had plenty of stuff to fire him before that. I just hope Archie can lead IU into another great generation of success. It has been way too long. 

I agree it was pretty one sided .... and Bobby was a great coach ... 

However, it's hard to not see the "machine" that was in place to protect Bobby at all costs.  

I walked away from it feeling pretty bad for Neil Reed.  Here's a kid that idolized Indiana basketball and after the hand around the throat incident (and others), he flat out says to Coach Knight "Indiana isn't what it used to be" and walks out of the room ... that's ballsy!  But it's disappointing that his love for IU and Knight was ruined because of all of this

6 hours ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Conspiracy much? 

I will agree that early on Knight was a master strategist... but a truly loathsome human being - especially if you crossed him.

He clearly outlived his welcome in Bloomington, and was his own worst enemy. At this point, he's just an angry, bitter man.

Archie is our guy now...

I watched this last night.  It was interesting enough.  Pretty much helps to paint the picture why Indiana didn't want their next coach to be the face/power of the university.  

I was a student on campus during these events and was happy that IU was moving on from Knight, until I realized how poorly it was handled, OVER and OVER!!!  

Sampson, if he could have kept things clean-ish would have had Indiana as a true perennial Blue Blood powerhouse and would probably still be our coach.  

I enjoyed the 2002 title run so much.  It's primarily what made me as diehard as a fan as I am.  

Luke Recker.......don't get me started.  I loved watching him play.   I dated a girl he used to "date", or so she said (LOL).  He was a phenomenal talent.  Hated seeing him leave.  

UGH!  

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I watched this last night.  It was interesting enough.  Pretty much helps to paint the picture why Indiana didn't want their next coach to be the face/power of the university.  

I was a student on campus during these events and was happy that IU was moving on from Knight, until I realized how poorly it was handled, OVER and OVER!!!  

Sampson, if he could have kept things clean-ish would have had Indiana as a true perennial Blue Blood powerhouse and would probably still be our coach.  

I enjoyed the 2002 title run so much.  It's primarily what made me as diehard as a fan as I am.  

Luke Recker.......don't get me started.  I loved watching him play.   I dated a girl he used to "date", or so she said (LOL).  He was a phenomenal talent.  Hated seeing him leave.  

UGH!  

Speaking of loathsome human. beings ... Luke Recker is the "other reason" why Stevie isn't coaching in Bloomington... after the Pierce saga...

9 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

remind me of this story.  Is it the car accident/and girlfriend?  Something else?

The girlfriend was crippled as a result of the accident, and she no longer was "worthy" of Recker's companionship/love. He dumped her in a flash.

21 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

The girlfriend was crippled as a result of the accident, and she no longer was "worthy" of Recker's companionship/love. He dumped her in a flash.

yeah, I can see that.  I've heard they were broken up before the accident but who knows for sure.

either way, its hard to indict Recker on this.  Most college relationships don't make it under the best of circumstances.   The accident wasn't Recker's fault.  Its really just a painful, awful situation.  It would have been storybook for Recker to rekindle/maintain things but its hard to call him a loathsome human because of it.  

and maybe he is........but didn't know if you knew more than I did.

5 minutes ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

I work with Recker now. He’s an awesome awesome guy. Figured it needed to be said here :)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Thank you.  see my next post.  I was wondering/trying to say the same thing.  maybe you can verify if my Ex actually dated him.  LOL.