Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

#IUBASE - 3 Game Series Vs. Northwestern 4/13-14

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

It was 35 degrees and raining 

It didn't rain that day. In fact, I think the game was called off the day before. The game the following day was played under nearly identical conditions.

Agree with Aaron, whoever is calling the shots here needs to wise up or be replaced altogether.

7 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I thought the whole point of having turf was to give us more flexibility in situations like these.

Like I said, poor decision-making has kind of been a hallmark of IU athletics this century.

You're rather clueless, as in wanting to fire Fred Glass, so I take your opinion with a grain of salt. 

4 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

It didn't rain that day. In fact, I think the game was called off the day before. The game the following day was played under nearly identical conditions.

Agree with Aaron, whoever is calling the shots here needs to wise up or be replaced altogether.

It did rain that day.. plenty 

7 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Literally no harm in trying or at least waiting to see I think is the message and I agree completely. 

We already lost one game to rain another will make it extremely difficult to win the conference since we don't play Michigan. 

At this point a rain out is a loss. 

Idk about "extremely difficult"... couple of you guys are literally just on here to complain. Gets old man. You and Watshot NEVER have anything positive to say. Do you operate like that in your day to day lives?

43 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Idk about "extremely difficult"... couple of you guys are literally just on here to complain. Gets old man. You and Watshot NEVER have anything positive to say. Do you operate like that in your day to day lives?

The fact you don't understand why losing another game to rain out will make it extremely difficult is probably why you should stop attacking everybody who doesn't blindly support the things you obviously blindly support. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

The fact you don't understand why losing another game to rain out will make it extremely difficult is probably why you should stop attacking everybody who doesn't blindly support the things you obviously blindly support. 

If you will say one thing positive I will call it a night 

I actually agree btownqb is a bit of a blind supporter and needs to criticize a bit when IU screws up and it’s not all sunshine and roses. However, Brass Cannon and a few others do nothing but criticize which is even worse. I hate people who come on here and only criticize and there are way too many of these people. Maybe btownqb is trying to balance these people which I get but it’s also OK to take a middle ground like I do and say a lot of nice things but criticize when a bad decision is made or something goes wrong.

There is no defending the way IU handled the weather this weekend period. It looks like we may be OK today (although I am still a tad worried about a pop up shower catching based on models) but will also be playing in 50 and overcast instead of 70 and partly sunny which is not fair to the players or the fans. Everyone besides btownqb realized it was a ridiculous and I saw that from the beginning (as I said I know weather pretty well and saw where the forecast was headed and have nailed it more or less this weekend). Weather is tricky but it was actually a pretty easy forecast to read correctly and what happened was pretty predictable if you knew how to read models and a forecast and IU should have move both the football spring game to later in the day at Memorial Stadium so fans could attend and played baseball when the weather was ideal. If IU does not have a weather expert (and no I am not one of them even though I figured out what was going on when they didn’t) they need to hire one because whoever is calling now does not know what they are doing. Any competent meteorologist or weather person could of figured out you could of played sports outdoors by 2 or 3pm on yesterday with no problem by Thursday’s forecast models.

I say plenty of things positive a few weeks ago I was talking about this team have the capability to set the record for wins.  Which I still think it did.  Some poor weather and some disappointing losses have made that highly unlikely. 

People create the narratives they want I suppose, just like somehow the fact that I would take Smith back in heartbeat somehow I meant that I thought Lemonis was terrible.  Never what I claimed or said, but it fit a simple black and white narrative that people want 

I do think Lemonis has significant issues developing his players to play consistently at a high level. 

I would also point out I was criticized as being negative saying Maybe Houston should come off the bench and start again.   How did that work out

Once again i will point out, the lack of optimism is not negativity. 

38 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I say plenty of things positive a few weeks ago I was talking about this team have the capability to set the record for wins.  Which I still think it did.  Some poor weather and some disappointing losses have made that highly unlikely. 

People create the narratives they want I suppose, just like somehow the fact that I would take Smith back in heartbeat somehow I meant that I thought Lemonis was terrible.  Never what I claimed or said, but it fit a simple black and white narrative that people want 

I do think Lemonis has significant issues developing his players to play consistently at a high level. 

I would also point out I was criticized as being negative saying Maybe Houston should come off the bench and start again.   How did that work out

Once again i will point out, the lack of optimism is not negativity. 

This is inarguable. Lemonis does not develop players well. Sowers should already be in the minor leagues as a top 10 round pick last year based on his skill and talent but is the exact same player he was as a freshman. Luke Miller should be getting better but is the same player he was when he came to IU as a freshman and should be a top top 10-20 round pick by now. Ryan Fineman finally has stepped it up this year but he made zero jump from his freshman to sophomore year. The way he has handled this mysterious situation with Luke Miller (and I still want an answer what is going on) makes me wonder if his issue is he is a ‘my way or the highway’ coach and most of this generations college students do not respond well to that and especially ones with pro aspirations. You have to find a fine line between massaging there ego and showing discipline and I am not sure Lemonis has that quite figured out.

Now vice versa Lemonis is probably even a better recruiter than Tracy Smith (if we had started with Lemonis and had him try to build the program with hidden gems we would never be where we are today as Phegley, Schwarber, Dickerson and Travis never develop into big leaguers and raise the programs profile) and we can have years like this because the lack of development keeps a Sowers or Miller around an extra year for things to come together like they have. A coach like Tracy Smith or one who develops players better has Miller, Sowers and Lloyd in the pro’s last year and without them this is not as good a year. Also Lemonis’ ability to use the JUCO ranks has been incredible.

Overall Lemonis is a good enough game manger and an impeccable recruiter and as a result can win enough here to get around his issue of player development. We would be pretty similar under Tracy Smith who is a slightly better coach (does everything Lemonis does with player development) but we would be turning rosters over more often as he put players in the pro’s quicker leading to similar results with younger teams. Make no mistake I would love to have Smith back but Lemonis is very good as long as he makes tourney most years and competes in Big Ten. I always use the Butler basketball comparison and stand by it.

There is absolutely reason for optimism about this program though and I don't understand the negativity. 

Two more in 3rd. Kaletha lead off walk, Lloyd attempted to bunt him over but NW messed up big time as pitcher had easy play fielding it and plenty of time and instead sent the throw way to high over 1st and into foul ground in right field sending Lloyd to 2nd and Kaletha to third. After that Fineman got a sac fly to right just in front of warning track and Gorski got a sac fly to medium deep center. 4-0 after 3 and we've chased their starter who is one of only 2 good pitchers they have (The other guy being the Friday starter when we won 12-0 against and everyone in their bullpen has a pretty bad ERA)!

Another 2 in 4th. Walker doubled down right field line, went to third on Houston single than scored on a wild pitch and Houston went to 2nd. Also Houston scored on 2 out Sowers single after Kaletha struck out and Lloyd lined out to 2nd. 6-0 After 4!