Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

#IUBASE - 3 Game Series Vs. Northwestern 4/13-14

Just now, TheWatShot said:

Yep, get up 8-0 in a game and it's mash, mash, mash. Fall behind 2-1 and the bats just struggle to get anything going.

Only ranked big ten team. Top 10 to boot and we aren't going to win the big ten at this rate 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Only ranked big ten team. Top 10 to boot and we aren't going to win the big ten at this rate 

I'm shocked Michigan isn't ranked. They've won 16 in a row and they look like the best team in the league. We don't play them, so the only way we catch them at this rate is if a few other teams can knock them off and we stop losing games like this.

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm shocked Michigan isn't ranked. They've won 16 in a row and they look like the best team in the league. We don't play them, so the only way we catch them at this rate is if a few other teams can knock them off and we stop losing games like this.

In their 17 game winning streak... they have: 

13 wins vs. 200+ rpi teams 

3 wins vs. #199 rpi NW 

1 win vs. #145 Toledo..... c'mon man

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

My phone just updated that. Point remains we have lost plenty of games we shouldn't have and it's left us in poor position to win the league. 

What games? We've lost one in conference play we shouldn't have. 

Feel incredibly good for Houston. Another kid who didn't pout over a benching. He was constantly smiling when thrown in late in games, congrats man. You deserved tonight. 

That 8th inning looked like that of a championship team and was about as clutch as I've seen in a while. First time I can honestly say that we approached that inning and rallied in epic fashion and patiently got one clutch hit after another much like a lot of times in 2013 and 2014. Houston a 2 out single to tie it which was maybe the most important at bat of the year for a guy who has struggled. Than Kaletha who has been nothing but clutch dumped a 2 run single for the lead and Matt Lloyd followed with an infield single for another run. NW loaded the bases in 9th but Kruger got a strike out to close it for what I would say was most epic win of year.

Just to be clear when I always talk about 2013, 2014 we had frustrating games like this messing up at bats all game with runners in scoring position. However, like tonight those teams almost always found a way late which is the mark of a championship team and for the first time this year I can honestly say we found a way in a game we had no business winning in much the same way. If we are truly a special team this year we are going to have to do this a few more times as this is what separate good teams from great teams and in this sense we were absolutely a great team tonight.

Lastly like I said once the weather was nice we would fill the stadium and tonight was finally completely sold out and the crowd late was absolutely epic chanting, making noise and rallying the team in top notch fashion. Need more nice days with epic crowds. I was not even there and it was clear from the BTN2Go stream how much the crowd pushed the team over the top late in a close game as has happened many times since Bat Kaufman Field opened. We need more nice days to get the big crowds like this we always have the last 5 years. Can’t blame anyone for lower crowds so far this year except schizophrenic mother nature especially since tonight was back to normal.  

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

That 8th inning looked like that of a championship team and was about as clutch as I've seen in a while. First time I can honestly say that we approached that inning and rallied in epic fashion and patiently got one clutch hit after another much like a lot of times in 2013 and 2014. Houston a 2 out single to tie it which was maybe the most important at bat of the year for a guy who has struggled. Than Kaletha who has been nothing but clutch dumped a 2 run single for the lead and Matt Lloyd followed with an infield single for another run. NW loaded the bases in 9th but Kruger got a strike out to close it for what I would say was most epic win of year.

Just to be clear when I always talk about 2013, 2014 we had frustrating games like this messing up at bats all game with runners in scoring position. However, like tonight those teams almost always found a way late which is the mark of a championship team and for the first time this year I can honestly say we found a way in a game we had no business winning in much the same way. If we are truly a special team this year we are going to have to do this a few more times as this is what separate good teams from great teams and in this sense we were absolutely a great team tonight.

Lastly like I said once the weather was nice we would fill the stadium and tonight was finally completely sold out and the crowd late was absolutely epic chanting, making noise and rallying the team in top notch fashion. Need more nice days with epic crowds. I was not even there and it was clear from the BTN2Go stream how much the crowd pushed the team over the top late in a close game as has happened many times since Bat Kaufman Field opened. We need more nice days to get the big crowds like this we always have the last 5 years. Can’t blame anyone for lower crowds so far this year except schizophrenic mother nature especially since tonight was back to normal.  

Game 3 in SD we shouldn't have won. Maybe the USA game as well, and the Northern ILL Saturday game. Tonight was awesome though.. what a heads up play by Houston to steal 2nd and Kaletha to steal 3rd. Those two steals might honestly have led to 2 more runs. I enjoy this team... our pitching has been incredible. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Game 3 in SD we shouldn't have won. Maybe the USA game as well, and the Northern ILL Saturday game. Tonight was awesome though.. what a heads up play by Houston to steal 2nd and Kaletha to steal 3rd. Those two steals might honestly have led to 2 more runs. I enjoy this team... our pitching has been incredible. 

Good point but I meant more in conference to win the Big Ten Championship. You have to get the bad teams and sometimes it requires finding a way like tonight and doing that enough times (usually 3-4 times a year is what is required) is the difference between winning the big ten and finishing 2nd or 3rd especially with how close it is this year. 

12 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Good point but I meant more in conference to win the Big Ten Championship. You have to get the bad teams and sometimes it requires finding a way like tonight and doing that enough times (usually 3-4 times a year is what is required) is the difference between winning the big ten and finishing 2nd or 3rd especially with how close it is this year. 

Gotcha. Makes sense.. and especially when we have already missed one game and could miss another this weekend with NW. 

Tell ya what.. Lemonis has struck gold in the JC ranks with getting Lloyd and Kaletha the last two years, my goodness.