Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Cheaney40

Juwan Morgan RETURNING For Senior Season

I think allowing draft-eligible non-seniors to enter the draft, then return to school if they don't get a good evaluation or don't think they'll get drafted, is a good idea. But the timing of the deadline needs to be re-evaluated. I'm guessing most players have an idea of what they'll do and most coaches have an idea of what those players will do, but May 30 is way, way too late for a program to be learning if a player will come back or not. Why can't they have all this decided by April 30? That might be a tad early, but still, it's better than like it used to be: Either you're in, or your're out.

I've read coaches complaining about this deadline, and I don't blame them. What if you have a kid who you think will stay in the draft, so you award his scholarship -- then he decides to come back? You've oversigned --  a problem. Conversely, what if you have a kid who you think will return, so you keep his scholarship open -- and possibly miss out on a talented grad transfer or other unsigned player -- then he decides to stay in the draft? You're left holding the bag. Having an open scholarship isn't always a bad thing, but since there are 13 (down from 15 -- what it used to be), you want to make sure you are making full use of the resources available. May 30 is not a optimal time to be looking for players. This, of course, is all just my opinion. But I think it really makes it tough on coaches and programs with a deadline this late.  

58 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I think allowing draft-eligible non-seniors to enter the draft, then return to school if they don't get a good evaluation or don't think they'll get drafted is a good idea. But the timing of the deadline needs to be re-evaluated. I'm guessing most players have an idea of what they'll do and most coaches have an idea of what those players will do, but May 30 is way, way too late for a program to be learning if a player will come back or not. Why can't they have all this decided by April 30? That might be a tad early, but still, it's better than like it used to be: Either you're in, or your're out.

It's a tough balancing act. The combine isn't until Mid-May and anyone invited to the combine should, reasonably, be able to participate in the combine, and then decide. 

Juwan may be 100% committed to coming back, but he owes it to himself to work out for teams and get as much feedback as possibe, before the deadline.

2 hours ago, swatford said:

Juwan Morgan working out with the Hawks today apparently

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

They don't list him, but that doesn't mean he isn't there.

Thursday, May 24

Donte DiVincenzo (Villanova) – Guard – 6-5, 205

Ben Lammers (Georgia Tech) – Center – 6-10, 234 

Jalen McDaniels (San Diego State) – Forward – 6-10, 195

Markis McDuffie (Wichita State) – Forward, 6-8, 185

Doral Moore (Wake Forest) – Center – 7-1, 280

Brandon Sampson (LSU) – Guard – 6-4, 185

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/2018-draft-workouts-0?cid=hawks_18draft_s_h_t_-_-_0525_day5workouts

Hawks today ...

Friday, May 25

Rawle Alkins (Arizona) – Guard – 6-5, 220

Jalen Brunson (Villanova) – Guard – 6-3, 190 

Tony Carr (Penn State) – Guard – 6-5, 204

Gary Clark (Cincinnati) – Forward – 6-7, 230

Aaron Holiday (UCLA) – Guard – 6-1, 185

Juwan Morgan (Indiana) – Forward – 6-7, 205

23 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

http://www.nba.com/hawks/news/2018-draft-workouts-0?cid=hawks_18draft_s_h_t_-_-_0525_day5workouts

Hawks today ...

Friday, May 25

Rawle Alkins (Arizona) – Guard – 6-5, 220

Jalen Brunson (Villanova) – Guard – 6-3, 190 

Tony Carr (Penn State) – Guard – 6-5, 204

Gary Clark (Cincinnati) – Forward – 6-7, 230

Aaron Holiday (UCLA) – Guard – 6-1, 185

Juwan Morgan (Indiana) – Forward – 6-7, 205

After this workout, he'll have all the info he needs and we'll find something out in the next 1-5 days.

Just now, HoosierHoops1 said:

After this workout, he'll have all the info he needs and we'll find something out in the next 1-5 days.

He has to make a decision by the 30th right?  Same day Archie will be at Huber, I think.  Possibly an announcement there to get the crowd pumped?

9 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

He has to make a decision by the 30th right?  Same day Archie will be at Huber, I think.  Possibly an announcement there to get the crowd pumped?

Yes.

That would be a pretty good announcement for the crowd. That's for sure!

This, from the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette. It was about Morgan and Carsen Edwards and their draft prospects. (Forgrave is Reid Forgrave, an NBA and college basketball writer for CBS Sports).

I have not seen anything that has Morgan getting drafted. That didn't stop JBJ and Troy Williams from staying in the draft, however. Selfishly, I'd love to see him back -- because he can only get better and he can be the leader of what could be a really good team. I guess we'll know in a couple days ... 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Morgan faces a slightly different calculus as he tries to decide whether he'll return to Indiana. Unlike Edwards, the forward was not invited to the combine. The junior's name doesn't appear on mock drafts and he was “only” a second-team All-Big Ten player in 2017-18, not one of the best players in the country as Edwards was.

Morgan's list of accomplishments includes leading a 16-15 Indiana team in scoring at 16.5 points per game and averaging 7.4 rebounds. He also blocked 1.4 shots per game, demonstrating his two-way ability.

“He's kind of in one of those positions where he's very good at a lot of things, but not great at anything,” said Nick Baumgart, who runs HoosierBreakdown.com and has coached in Indiana for 15 years. “So he's almost kind of like that 4A baseball player at this point.”

Forgrave was more blunt about Morgan's draft stock this season.

“I haven't heard anything about him, which probably tells you something,” he said.

Baumgart said Morgan could play himself into being a draft pick next season if he improves his 3-point shooting – the 6-foot-8 forward shot 30.2 percent last season – and becomes a better athlete.

If Morgan does decide to return for another season, the Hoosiers, who also added one of the best recruiting classes in the country, will likely open the season in the Top 25.

Baumgart is bullish on the team's outlook in that scenario.

“If he comes back, 1 to 13 (on the roster), they're absolutely loaded,” he said. “I'm looking at Elite Eight (in that case). I don't want to go so far as Final Four, ... but I think Elite Eight is very very attainable for them.”

This, from the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette. It was about Morgan and Carsen Edwards and their draft prospects. (Forgrave is Reid Forgrave, an NBA and college basketball writer for CBS Sports).
I have not seen anything that has Morgan getting drafted. That didn't stop JBJ and Troy Williams from staying in the draft, however. Selfishly, I'd love to see him back -- because he can only get better and he can be the leader of what could be a really good team. I guess we'll know in a couple days ... 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morgan faces a slightly different calculus as he tries to decide whether he'll return to Indiana. Unlike Edwards, the forward was not invited to the combine. The junior's name doesn't appear on mock drafts and he was “only” a second-team All-Big Ten player in 2017-18, not one of the best players in the country as Edwards was.

Morgan's list of accomplishments includes leading a 16-15 Indiana team in scoring at 16.5 points per game and averaging 7.4 rebounds. He also blocked 1.4 shots per game, demonstrating his two-way ability.

“He's kind of in one of those positions where he's very good at a lot of things, but not great at anything,” said Nick Baumgart, who runs HoosierBreakdown.com and has coached in Indiana for 15 years. “So he's almost kind of like that 4A baseball player at this point.”

Forgrave was more blunt about Morgan's draft stock this season.

“I haven't heard anything about him, which probably tells you something,” he said.

Baumgart said Morgan could play himself into being a draft pick next season if he improves his 3-point shooting – the 6-foot-8 forward shot 30.2 percent last season – and becomes a better athlete.

If Morgan does decide to return for another season, the Hoosiers, who also added one of the best recruiting classes in the country, will likely open the season in the Top 25.

Baumgart is bullish on the team's outlook in that scenario.

“If he comes back, 1 to 13 (on the roster), they're absolutely loaded,” he said. “I'm looking at Elite Eight (in that case). I don't want to go so far as Final Four, ... but I think Elite Eight is very very attainable for them.”

Bullish indeed. I like it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

22 hours ago, Joe DeLow said:

If you aren't 1 of 60 to get invited to the combine and you're not a senior, you NEED to return to school. Because is 60 prone that have been put over you. That's at least 50 to all 60 being drafted above you. That doesn't include the likely 5-10 foreign players who are picked because they'll never come to the US.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using BtownBanners mobile app

IUwins0708 posted he’s heard Juwan is coming back over on HSN.