Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

QB Brandon Dawkins to IU

I thought the same last year but it sure helps now having a QB that can make plays, which we have not had in a while. Running game looks good and it's hard to doubt Allen with the defense so far based on what he has done. Special teams was good at times and a mess at other times last year. We got a pretty good kicker though right to replace Oakes? Punter seemed solid. Wondering also who the return man will be now that Harris has moved on. 

I think Whop or Taylor

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

If anything, Dawkins is a great backup to Ramsey. We have seen how often running qb's get injured so at some point we were likely to see either true freshman Penix or redshirt freshman Tronti out there. I think the key to the offense will be the improvement of the O-line; if they can open up the holes to get the running game going, it will make the quarterback's job a lot easier. Defensively, I think there will be some natural regression as we lose a lot of talent but hopefully it won't be too big of a drop. Realistically, I think I would consider a 6-6 season with a trip to a bowl game a successful second season for coach Allen. 

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

I agree this kid is going to start.. but why is Ramsey simply "not the guy"?

Because he is inaccurate, short, slow for a "mobile QB" and can't throw the ball down the field with anything on it (for a Big Ten QB).   And because we've brought in 2 QB's in this recruiting class, one a grad transfer.   If he were the guy, we may have brought in Penix, but I doubt a mobile grad transfer from a Pac Ten school. 

I compared him a year ago to Zander Diamont, only Diamont was faster.  Once defenses were able to game plan for him and knew his tendencies, he was grossly ineffective a year ago,

10 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Because he is inaccurate, short, slow for a "mobile QB" and can't throw the ball down the field with anything on it (for a Big Ten QB).   I compared him a year ago to Zander Diamont, only Diamont was faster.  Once defenses were able to game plan for him and knew his tendencies, he was grossly ineffective a year ago,

Ramsey isn't short. He's 6'2. Dawkins is only an inch taller. The Zander  comparisons have always been absurd. Ramsey is a much better quarterback.

27 minutes ago, ThompsonHoosier said:

If anything, Dawkins is a great backup to Ramsey. We have seen how often running qb's get injured so at some point we were likely to see either true freshman Penix or redshirt freshman Tronti out there. I think the key to the offense will be the improvement of the O-line; if they can open up the holes to get the running game going, it will make the quarterback's job a lot easier. Defensively, I think there will be some natural regression as we lose a lot of talent but hopefully it won't be too big of a drop. Realistically, I think I would consider a 6-6 season with a trip to a bowl game a successful second season for coach Allen. 

I gotta think Dawkins is coming here to start. Can't imagine he wasn't sold on the opportunity to be 'the guy'. Wouldn't mind seeing Penix redshirt now. 

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

Because he is inaccurate, short, slow for a "mobile QB" and can't throw the ball down the field with anything on it (for a Big Ten QB).   I compared him a year ago to Zander Diamont, only Diamont was faster.  Once defenses were able to game plan for him and knew his tendencies, he was grossly ineffective a year ago,

Well we disagree on about all of that. He was injured about half the time he played, so I would seriously argue that for sure. He completed 65% of his passes... I dont' think that should be considered inaccurate. He's actually very accurate... not top of the line arm strength, but he is a very solid QB for a FR-SO imo. If Hale, Westbrook, and Thomas hadn't of had their injuries, and our OL hadn't of had their injuries I think Ramsey would have looked much different for the majority of the year. Teams played extra people in the box because Mack couldn't keep them honest. 

2 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Because he is inaccurate, short, slow for a "mobile QB" and can't throw the ball down the field with anything on it (for a Big Ten QB).   And because we've brought in 2 QB's in this recruiting class, one a grad transfer.   If he were the guy, we may have brought in Penix, but I doubt a mobile grad transfer from a Pac Ten school. 

I compared him a year ago to Zander Diamont, only Diamont was faster.  Once defenses were able to game plan for him and knew his tendencies, he was grossly ineffective a year ago,

You somehow managed to be completely wrong about every single thing you included in that post. Congratulations on that. Ramsey is 6’2”, 210 and Dawkins is 6’3”, 210. We brought in more quarterbacks because we are just now up to four scholarship quarterbacks. And three of them are sophomores or freshmen. Also, Ramsey completed 65% of his passes last year (9 games, 205 attempts)...that was the best single-season completion percentage in the history of Indiana football. It was also second in the Big Ten and 13th nationally.

And during Ramsey’s final two games of the season before he got hurt, he went 22-34 (65%) at Michigan State, and 31-41 (76%) at Maryland, with a combined 437 passing yards, three passing touchdowns, and one interception. If that’s grossly ineffective, give me grossly ineffective.

Ramsey does have things to improve on, and I really like Dawkins. I like the fact that I can feel comfortable with multiple quarterbacks out there. Your post and comments about PR were just wildly inaccurate.

Oh, and it’s been the PAC-12 for several years now.

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well we disagree on about all of that. He was injured about half the time he played, so I would seriously argue that for sure. He completed 65% of his passes... I dont' think that should be considered inaccurate. He's actually very accurate... not top of the line arm strength, but he is a very solid QB for a FR-SO imo. If Hale, Westbrook, and Thomas hadn't of had their injuries, and our OL hadn't of had their injuries I think Ramsey would have looked much different for the majority of the year. Teams played extra people in the box because Mack couldn't keep them honest. 

Nothing he said was remotely accurate in any way.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

You are correct you didn't say superstar. No I don't pay attention to football until the end of July.

Also, I’m pretty sure Dawkins got hurt, and then lost his job because the other guy did really well.

2 hours ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

I thought the same last year but it sure helps now having a QB that can make plays, which we have not had in a while. Running game looks good and it's hard to doubt Allen with the defense so far based on what he has done. Special teams was good at times and a mess at other times last year. We got a pretty good kicker though right to replace Oakes? Punter seemed solid. Wondering also who the return man will be now that Harris has moved on. 

Yep Charles Campbell will be here in the fall at kicker. Army All American and a 5-star per the Kohl’s kicking camp. And Harris is still on the team, by the way. He’s rehabbing, again, from his 3rd ACL tear. He plans to play.

1 hour ago, Lebowski said:

I'm right with you on this.  Hopefully, he's improved on that this off season.  He was a Freshman last year.  He did have spots of greatness.  I think it was the Virginia game last year where he threw a roll out TD pass down field that was impressive?  Hopefully, he improves as the years go on.

3 hours ago, lucel15 said:

Btown, That’s what he has done since I’ve joined here. He makes his snarky comments and relays them to realistic views for football. His opinions and views are always right. If you’re an over zealous football fan then something is wrong with you and your views are wrong. Anyway...brass...Lagow made really no plays outside the pocket. This guy can. This guy fits what DeBord has ran in his most recent years. So there’s that and that’s what I was saying. If I’m wrong brass then prove it.  Saying to caution about passing stats....nobody ever said he was a pro QB that sits in the pocket and throws 35-50 passes a game. He’s a dual threat guy and typically your non superstar QBs are not completing a high percentage of passes. He makes plays and opens the game up like we have wanted in the past. That’s all anyone is saying they are excited about.....coaches have said there will be competition still. He said two weeks ago he wants competition so.....we don’t even know if he will be the starter. I think people are excited at the fact it’s an older QB that is experienced in some big games.....do I need to mention we have 3 QBs on scholly...once again...that would be addressing the depth issue we have right now..people are excited to possibly have a starter that can make plays with his legs and extend plays....I think all btown is saying is you can’t compare these two QBs based on throwing stats and then say oh watch out he isn’t what he’s made out to be....this kid can run and like I said extend plays...I never said anything about passing numbers because physically and game playing wise they aren’t in the same category.  No they aren’t great (air numbers) but if you’re looking at them to compare then you have to look at Lagows ability to extend plays and run. Which he really couldn’t do. Why look at running because that’s the threat Dawkins brings. He’s not just a thrower. My long snarky comment and realistic post is over. 

Brass is the same guy who actively wants to bring back Tracy Smith (14-19 at a baseball powerhouse, facing the two worst back-to-back seasons at ASU in decades, will likely get fired) to replace Chris Lemonis (23-6, ranked 10th in the country, headed to a 3rd NCAA tournament in 4 years, a 4th winning season in 4 years, and will likely host a regional) because he feels CL is “inconsistent.”

So keep that in mind.

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I would caution people on getting too excited he and Lagow have similar QB ratings and while I hate that stat players with similar ones are usually fairly close. 

College QB ratings don't take into account rushing.  It's all based on passing stats.  Dawkins ran for 944 yards as a junior....and you have to keep in mind that college rushing stats count sacks as negative rushing plays, so in reality he probably ran for close to 1200 that year.  

Remember that Ramsey is a pretty good rusher, but even getting more than half the reps last year his rushing total for the season was only 226 yards due to sack yardage counted as negative rushing yards.  I wouldn't be too discouraged by Dawkins losing his starting job last year.....he lost it to Khalil Tate who is a pretty darn dual threat college quarterback.