Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Morgan Ellison to miss rest of spring season

What if Ellison is a sexual abuser. Law enforcement should definitely get involved. A state school should definitely not have the ability to try someone, whether or not if it is considered a "criminal"case or not. All rape accusations should be investigated by professionals. For the sake of both parties. 

What if Ellison is a sexual abuser. Law enforcement should definitely get involved. A state school should definitely not have the ability to try someone, whether or not if it is considered a "criminal"case or not. All rape accusations should be investigated by professionals. For the sake of both parties. 

They aren’t trying him in the traditional judicial sense. They are determining if he should be enrolled at their university or if he is a potential danger to other kids. They don’t have to find him guilty or anything. Much closer to a lawsuit than a criminal trial in how they are handled.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

To me the school is much like an employer. At will. There are no constitutional rights that a kid has to go to any school. It’s up to the accuser if they want it to be criminal. The school has the responsibility to look out for the students safety and that is why they are more worried about whether or not a kid should be included in their university. Each individual case is for sure different but I feel a player has to be held out until things are sorted out. It sets a bad precedent and then you start having situations like MSU if the school can let a kid play a game at their discretion. Mainly because of the money involved in college athletics.

This is a fair take but I think the key is that each case is different. Holding a kid out while this is investigated is probably better for the kid accused but this should not be automatic.

If there seems to be some merit to the accusation or if the same kid keeps finding himself in situations like this he may wear out his welcome. If we go with the hard and fast rule of accused then suspended it seems to be to much.

10 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

They aren’t trying him in the traditional judicial sense. They are determining if he should be enrolled at their university or if he is a potential danger to other kids. They don’t have to find him guilty or anything. Much closer to a lawsuit than a criminal trial in how they are handled.

However,  if he is deemed to be a danger to other students, then chances are he is a danger to society.  Therefore, law enforcement should be involved. 

I will say this Title IX and due process is so screwed up and that's from witnessing a personal experience that didn't involve sexual harassment but still the concept of getting being accused of something still applies and sometimes the system can screw people over. 

Well they are kinda. Sure he won’t go to jail but as of now he’s a rapist for life(not saying he is innocent or guilty).

Public perception is far different than criminal. He is more than able to make this far more public if he wants.

However,  if he is deemed to be a danger to other students, then chances are he is a danger to society.  Therefore, law enforcement should be involved. 

Ultimately, no matter what this would still come down to if she wants to press charges. If IU had physical evidence that could be entered into a court of law they would have an obligation. They don’t in a lot of these cases. That is why all they have a moral obligation to is determining whether or not that student lived up to the code of conduct. Not whether or not they are a criminal.

It can sometimes be worse. In case you didn’t watch the SCOTUS debacle.

Well of course when you are describing politics. Guessing you already know the difference in spite of ignoring the differences.

This is a fair take but I think the key is that each case is different. Holding a kid out while this is investigated is probably better for the kid accused but this should not be automatic.

If there seems to be some merit to the accusation or if the same kid keeps finding himself in situations like this he may wear out his welcome. If we go with the hard and fast rule of accused then suspended it seems to be to much.

I thought about this one because I don’t think either of us is extreme to either side. I can definitely see your side. I think erring on the side of caution is why kids are held out during accusations until the school can review. I can see their side of it from that angle. I am not sure of the specifics within IUs code of conduct or ethics to say what is aloud or not during an investigation. It would be interesting to know. This honestly may go beyond that and be something specific to a Athletic Departmental policy.

His 2 1/2 year suspension is now official.  There's been some very fervid back and forth action on this thread in regards to this specific incident but something that should be kept in mind is that this was also not Ellison's first campus run-in, not of this nature, but serious enough in its own right.    

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/investigations/2018/10/10/indiana-university-football-running-back-morgan-ellison-suspension-sexual-assault/1513037002/

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/investigations/2018/10/12/iu-football-morgan-ellison-alleged-sexual-assault-survivor-speaks/1616527002/

6 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

So, does he end up Juco or at a power conference team?

He's carrying an awful lot of personal baggage and I'm not convinced a power conference team will want to roll the dice with him.  His reputation as an individual is in the tank and the coaching fraternity will know a lot more of the details than any of us ever will.