Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

Tyra Buss - BC Aistes (Lithuania)

When I don't find something interesting I just ignore it, I don't get on rugby forums and tell them their sport isn't interesting. That's what makes it douchey. Going out of your way to shot on something that some people enjoy.

I like watching women's basketball. I loved watching Buss in her 4 years. But there aren't many people who like it. There is a reason for it. Men are bifger, faster, stronger, can jump higher. They are better shooters. They can throw it down. If women could dunk, you would absolutely bring extra eye balls to the TV.

Are men better shooters though? I'd like to see those percentages. The women have won 3/4 years in the college 3pt shooting contest. Buss won the women vs men at IU a few times, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

40 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Are men better shooters though? I'd like to see those percentages. The women have won 3/4 years in the college 3pt shooting contest. Buss won the women vs men at IU a few times, I believe.

That's anecdotal. Don't have the stats, but women's basketball players get to use a smaller ball, which is easier to score with. 

51 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Not sure how to find a league average, but Sue Bird shot about 40% from 3 with 4 teammates over 37%.  Skyler Diggins shot 35%.  Elena Delle Donne was around 39%.  Becky Hammon for her career was around 38%.  Now those players are/were stars and it's not a total league average, but those numbers are nothing to scoff at.

EDIT:  There's not really going to be an apple to apples comparison because of a different size ball etc.

51 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

Well in the WNBA for the 2017 season... Only 8 players shot over 40% from 3. While in the 17-18 season of the NBA, there were 30(those who qualified that hit at least 82 on the season.

Aren't there more players in the NBA though?

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Not sure how to find a league average, but Sue Bird shot about 40% from 3 with 4 teammates over 37%.  Skyler Diggins shot 35%.  Elena Delle Donne was around 39%.  Becky Hammon for her career was around 38%.  Now those players are/were stars and it's not a total league average, but those numbers are nothing to scoff at.

EDIT:  There's not really going to be an apple to apples comparison because of a different size ball etc.

Why can't you have an apples to apples comparison because the size of the ball is different?  It's one league putting a ball through the hoop like the other.  In one league you have stronger athletes, hence a bigger ball.  The other uses a different size ball.  I'm not sure why that would prevent an apple to apple comparison.  Should we not compare them because the wingspan of defenders in the NBA is typically much longer or the lights are slightly brighter?

51 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Why can't you have an apples to apples comparison because the size of the ball is different?  It's one league putting a ball through the hoop like the other.  In one league you have stronger athletes, hence a bigger ball.  The other uses a different size ball.  I'm not sure why that would prevent an apple to apple comparison.  Should we not compare them because the wingspan of defenders in the NBA is typically much longer or the lights are slightly brighter?

Smaller ball should be easier to get through the hoop.  I would think pure shooting skill would be fairly gender neutral though.

EDIT:  I do see what you're saying though.  The women use a smaller ball because they're weaker generally, so if you give them a men's ball a lack of strength could effect their shooting performance.  The general premise is the same, put the ball through the hoop, but it's not a perfect apples to apples.

52 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Aren't there more players in the NBA though?

2017-2018 opening day NBA roster total was 491, while WNBA would have around 144.  By his numbers it's like 6% of NBA players and around 5.6% of WNBA players, that's not much of a difference.

2 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

A smaller ball is easier to get through the hoop. 

Smaller ball should be easier to get through the hoop.  I would think pure shooting skill would be fairly gender neutral though.
EDIT:  I do see what you're saying though.  The women use a smaller ball because they're weaker generally, so if you give them a men's ball a lack of strength could effect their shooting performance.  The general premise is the same, put the ball through the hoop, but it's not a perfect apples to apples.

My point was the shooting motion doesn't have to change or one better than the other. It might not be an exact apples to apples but maybe like oranges to tangerines. If you smell what I'm stepping in.

I've seen several male vs. female 3pt shooting contest and the females have won quite a few. I think it's lazy to just assume men are superior shooters.

10 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

My point was the shooting motion doesn't have to change or one better than the other. It might not be an exact apples to apples but maybe like oranges to tangerines. If you smell what I'm stepping in.

I've seen several male vs. female 3pt shooting contest and the females have won quite a few. I think it's lazy to just assume men are superior shooters.

This I can agree.