Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Pretty sure he was granted the RS, but he declined it. 

Not what I was told. I have heard he tried and was declined the RS by NCAA.

Just now, Aaron said:

Not what I was told. I have heard he tried and was declined the RS by NCAA.

I heard the opposite. I don't think he would have posted that if he was declined, regardless.. I agree with you, I didn't have him in the plans for next year.  

The OF is set Vecrumba, Dunham, and Richardson. I think Skrine is the DH and Van Pelt is the 4th OFer. Ryan Fischer was rated highly too. 

13 hours ago, mjhoosier said:

Young OF but looks to be very talented. Will be interesting to see how the pitching shapes up. Starters vs Relief.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

True on the youth, but to be fair... college baseball is a fairly young sport, especially when you compare it to football... at least it seems that way. 

When there is a coaching Change, There’s always the Chance That players that committed to the previous Coaches eventually decide to transfer. It’s too bad but I’m sure the coaches will Continue to sign quality players. What’s surprising is after having 10 guys drafted and open playing spots available that some wouldn’t give it another year to compete for more playing time.

I would assume Mercer is surprised by some but not all of the transfers.

The flip side is that those leaving sensed they still wouldn't see much playing time with other players returning and players Mercer is bringing in.   Could also be family situations, academics, etc.  On the surface, I agree with mjhoosier, but we never know for certain unless we have an insider to the baseball program who can shed more light for us.

1 hour ago, mjhoosier said:

When there is a coaching Change, There’s always the Chance That players that committed to the previous Coaches eventually decide to transfer. It’s too bad but I’m sure the coaches will Continue to sign quality players. What’s surprising is after having 10 guys drafted and open playing spots available that some wouldn’t give it another year to compete for more playing time.

I would assume Mercer is surprised by some but not all of the transfers.

But we brought in 3 grad transfers and 3 jucos as well. 

I'll get this out of the way and tell you guys there is going to be at least a fifth transfer (not going to name it until it's "official" but this player is gone) as well I know of for sure. It is not anyone who plays regularly and makes little difference but found out about it last weekend. 

I will say to have 5 transfers is a lot, but other than Walker, it is guys who never play and Walker is mediocre at best. What you have to worry about is when you lose your core which we did not. None of the guys who left are guys I had pencil in to play this year. In this day in age of instant gratification (especially after a coaching change) anytime players don't play, they leave.  

Trust me we have the right guy in charge in Mercer. With what is coming in and what's returning I expect another pretty good year where we are right in contention assuming Sommer and Bierman take a leap and we find a third starter for Sunday which I think we will.  

I'll get this out of the way and tell you guys there is going to be at least a fifth transfer (not going to name it until it's "official" but this player is gone) as well I know of for sure. It is not anyone who plays regularly and makes little difference but found out about it last weekend. 

I will say to have 5 transfers is a lot, but other than Walker, it is guys who never play and Walker is mediocre at best. What you have to worry about is when you lose your core which we did not. None of the guys who left are guys I had pencil in to play this year. In this day in age of instant gratification (especially after a coaching change) anytime players don't play, they leave.  

Trust me we have the right guy in charge in Mercer. With what is coming in and what's returning I expect another pretty good year where we are right in contention assuming Sommer and Bierman take a leap and we find a third starter for Sunday which I think we will.  

Some of the pitchers coming in have some of the best velo and pure stuff on the mound that IU has had in a while that I can think of. I think finding arms to fill out the rotation and bullpen will be fine as long as they can be consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

Bridge and Busald are both transferring. I think it'll end up as 6. 

16 hours ago, btownqb said:

Bridge and Busald are both transferring. I think it'll end up as 6. 

I knew about one of those not the other. Again, 5 guys who barely played and Walker. Busald was flat out terrible the couple times he pitched and Bridge didn't play enough to know anything. All these guys except Walker were never going to play here. They are the type of players who may of played ten years ago when team was lesser talented pre-Tracy Smith but now very unlikely.

As for guys that are returning, Sommer was flat out dominant on Tuesday and pitched 5 shutout innings in summer league which is good to see given he is projected as the Saturday starter probably. 

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I knew about one of those not the other. Again, 5 guys who barely played and Walker. Busald was flat out terrible the couple times he pitched and Bridge didn't play enough to know anything. All these guys except Walker were never going to play here. They are the type of players who may of played  ten years ago when team was lesser talented  pre-Tracy Smith but now very unlikely.

As for guys that are returning, Sommer was flat out dominant on Tuesday and pitched 5 shutout innings in summer league which is good to see given he is projected as the Saturday starter probably. 

Yep agreed. 

I was hearing this was going to happen, but Eli Dunham officially announces he is coming back despite being drafted. Means we lost 8 of 10 draftees but return him and Barr which is huge.

With Mercer, I fully expect them to take next step forward and be top 10-20 round picks next year. I could see both being in contention for Big Ten Player of Year.

Hoosiers playing 2 6-inning games today at Bart Kaufman Field against the Great Lakes Canadians.  Freshman Nathan Stahl (decommit from Wright St. following Mercer to IU) on the mound for the Hoosiers in the first game.  Hoosiers score 5 runs in the bottom of the first which included a 3-run homer from junior Cooper Trinkle.  Doubt either team in their wildest dreams expected to be playing these games in 90-degree heat.

RBI's from Elijah Dunham, Cole Barr and Cooper Trinkle push the Hoosier lead to 8-0 after 2 innings.

Stahl replaced in the 3rd by freshman Reese Sharp.  Stahl struck out 5 in his 2 innings on the mound.

After 4, it's a 9-2 Indiana lead; Elijah Dunham with a solo shot in the 4th.

Freshman David Platt (Palisades, PA) on the mound in the 5th.

RBI double by Drew Ashley in the B5 and it's a 10-2 IU lead and that's also the final score in game #1

Edited by Class of '66 Old Fart
Added Game Updates

Great Lakes scores 2 to open game #2.  Sophomore Grant Richardson gets 1 back with an RBI single in B1.

RBI hits from Hunter Combs, Drew Ashley and Paul Toetz give the Hoosiers a 4-2 lead in the second.  

RBI single from Drew Ashley and a RBI triple off the bat of Paul Toetz pushes the Hoosier lead to 6-2 in the 4th.

FINAL | Hoosiers sweep the doubleheader with Great Lakes Canadians, taking Game 2 with a final score of 9-2. #IUBase back in action on Saturday at Bart Kaufman Field with a doubleheader against John A. Logan CC starting at 1 PM.

Indiana University head baseball coach Jeff Mercer announced changes to titles for Justin Parker and Denton Sagerman on Tuesday.

Parker will serve as Associate Head Coach/Pitching for the Hoosiers and will continue to lead the IU staff. Sagerman's title will be Director of Operations/Pitching Development.

"We're very fortunate to have a world-class staff at Indiana, each day is a joy working with some of the brightest, most innovative and hardworking people in the industry," Mercer remarked. "I'm thankful for their investment and impact on our players academic and athletic careers, as well as their personal growth. I'm excited to name Justin Parker as Associate Head Coach, who certainly deserves the title. He works with all phases of the program, guiding our continued growth and success. Denton Sagerman will add Pitching Development to his Director of Baseball Operations duties. He is a brilliant mind and tremendous resource for coach Parker and will assist the growth of our pitching staff in a non-coaching role. I'm thrilled with the direction of our program and the tireless efforts of our entire staff."

In his first season in charge of the Indiana pitching staff, Parker helped the Hoosiers win the 2019 Big Ten Regular Season title and earn a No. 2 seed for the NCAA Tournament, posting an overall record of 37-23. IU posted the second-best team ERA in the conference (3.63) and allowed the fewest earned runs in the league (206).

Individually, Andrew Saalfrank was named the Big Ten Pitcher of the Year and earned a spot on the All-Big Ten First-Team. Saalfrank was one of four IU hurlers that were selected in the 2019 MLB Draft. Parker has consistently produced pitchers selected in the MLB Draft, producing 16 over his coaching career, including seven who were taken in the first 10 rounds.

Sagerman will maintain his current administrative duties on the Indiana staff, and now will also work closely with Parker, assisting him with pitch design, video analysis, TrackMan and Rapsodo in a non-coaching capacity.