Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

After Mulling it over here are my most wanted somewhat realistic candidates in order:

1. Tracy Smith (this is totally a gut feeling but don't rule this out as much as people think but still somewhat unlikely)

2. Jeff Duncan

3. Scott Googins

4. Jeff Mercer

5. Ben Greenspan

6. Eric Snider

I would be fine with any of the above or another out of left field name that is an up and comer.

Probably avoid:

1. One of our current assistants

2. Gary Henderson (I know this name is popular after what he did at Mississippi St but to me his mediocre stint at UK makes me pause)

Absolutely avoid:

1. Rich Maloney

Overall I am willing to give anyone but Maloney at least a chance but would be happier with some over others. If it's Maloney I will lead a rebellion (not literally) and probably lose interest immediately unless he proves something to me down the road.  

Ego always comes into play. If Tracy leaves now for IU it looks like he is taking the easy way out and that he was a complete failure at ASU. The AD has definitely had his back to the chagrin of many fans there.

The only exception would be if he was head over heels to come back to Bloomington and the program and knew this is where he wants to finish out his coaching career. 

I would think Duncan, Mercer, Snider would probably be the most likely candidates.

I liked Tracy but don’t think him coming back would be good for him or IU. I think he is going to do all he can to turn it around this year and stay out west for the long haul. Not interested in Henderson. He did a great job filling in for Miss St manager but history as UK coach was not outstanding.

Lemonis was a good choice for IU because he recruited Indiana , Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri, ohio for Louisville and was successful getting talent. He did the same while at IU. Getting someone who can recruit the Midwest at a high
Level will continue to keep IU near the top of the Big 10. Whether they choose someone with head coaching experience or a high profile assistant coach, I think if they find someone who has experience recruiting those areas, it will lead to continued success.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

13 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Ego always comes into play. If Tracy leaves now for IU it looks like he is taking the easy way out and that he was a complete failure at ASU. The AD has definitely had his back to the chagrin of many fans there.

The only exception would be if he was head over heels to come back to Bloomington and the program and knew this is where he wants to finish out his coaching career. 

My gut feeling is IU is going to do everything they can to get Smith back and he will say no and they will move onto one of the other names I wrote and real one of those guys in. Again this is a total guess and I don't want to say much in case I am wrong but my gut tells me the wind is blowing that way.

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

My gut feeling is IU is going to do everything they can to get Smith back and he will say no and they will move onto one of the other names I wrote and real one of those guys in. Again this is a total guess and I don't want to say much in case I am wrong but my gut tells me the wind is blowing that way.

Any coach worth a damn has to have the confidence he can turn it around so I could see that. 

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

After Mulling it over here are my most wanted somewhat realistic candidates in order:

1. Tracy Smith (this is totally a gut feeling but don't rule this out as much as people think but still somewhat unlikely)

2. Jeff Duncan

3. Scott Googins

4. Jeff Mercer

5. Ben Greenspan

6. Eric Snider

I would be fine with any of the above or another out of left field name that is an up and comer.

Probably avoid:

1. One of our current assistants

2. Gary Henderson (I know this name is popular after what he did at Mississippi St but to me his mediocre stint at UK makes me pause)

Absolutely avoid:

1. Rich Maloney

Overall I am willing to give anyone but Maloney at least a chance but would be happier with some over others. If it's Maloney I will lead a rebellion (not literally) and probably lose interest immediately unless he proves something to me down the road.  

The same argument you make against Maloney are exactly why I'm not all that interested in a Tracy Smith redux. These coaching reboots just don't seem to work. 

From your list -- and most I've seen -- I find Jeff Mercer the most intriguing. 

Also, I wonder if there's a dark horse assistant from a Power 5 school that could be viable. Kevin O'Sullivan was an assistant at Clemson when he got the Florida gig -- he's won a CWS. ... Tim Corbin also was an assistant at Clemson when he got the Vandy job (although he did have a short stint as HC of Presbyterian, a small school in S.C.) -- he's won a CWS ... Brian O'Connor was an assistant at Notre Dame when U.Va. hired  him -- he's won a CWS. ... By going that route -- a Power 5 assistant -- we'd be assured of getting someone who knows what it's like to compete at the highest level. 

I'm just thinking that bringing Smith back wouldn't be a great idea. I sorta have a been there/done that attitude with him. And we'd be getting him not because he wants to return, but because he failed at ASU. Let's face it, if the Sun Devils are a regular in the regionals or super regionals during his tenure, he's not even in the conversation at this point. 

And I'm with you on Henderson -- want no part of him. I also have a been there/done that attitude with interim coaches who've done well (i.e., Mike Davis and Bill Lynch). 

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

The same argument you make against Maloney are exactly why I'm not all that interested in a Tracy Smith redux. These coaching reboots just don't seem to work. 

From your list -- and most I've seen -- I find Jeff Mercer the most intriguing. 

Also, I wonder if there's a dark horse assistant from a Power 5 school that could be viable. Kevin O'Sullivan was an assistant at Clemson when he got the Florida gig -- he's won a CWS. ... Tim Corbin also was an assistant at Clemson when he got the Vandy job (although he did have a short stint as HC of Presbyterian, a small school in S.C.) -- he's won a CWS ... Brian O'Connor was an assistant at Notre Dame when U.Va. hired  him -- he's won a CWS. ... By going that route -- a Power 5 assistant -- we'd be assured of getting someone who knows what it's like to compete at the highest level. 

I'm just thinking that bringing Smith back wouldn't be a great idea. I sorta have a been there/done that attitude with him. And we'd be getting him not because he wants to return, but because he failed at ASU. Let's face it, if the Sun Devils are a regular in the regionals or super regionals during his tenure, he's not even in the conversation at this point. 

And I'm with you on Henderson -- want no part of him. I also have a been there/done that attitude with interim coaches who've done well (i.e., Mike Davis and Bill Lynch). 

Trust me it may sound the same on surface but it's not. I met Maloney a couple times also and came away very unimpressed. I have not met Smith but every person I know who has says hes great.

Maloney also had a hard time adjusting as other teams have gotten better in region. Smith had success and dominated the region after things improved. Also Smith is a great recruiter and x's and o's guy while Maloney has had issues with recruiting for a long time.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect it but you seem to be the only one not thrilled about a Tracy Smith reunion (who is a better coach than Lemonis with same recruiting prowess but far better player development issues). Everyone seems to be unanimously lined up against Maloney.

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would like my old high school teammate Rob Smith who is the head coach of Ohio University Bobcats. I don't think he has a shot but we would recruit the heck out of Indiana. 

Pass. While he has had some success he also went 21-32 this season and would be leery of hiring anyone after a bad season. I understand your connection to him and respect that (mine with Greenspan probably clouds my judgement somewhat there) but if were going small Ohio school (which I am all for) Mercer at Wright St or Duncan at Kent St have done far better. 

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

Pass. While he has had some success he also went 21-32 this season and would be leery of hiring anyone after a bad season. I understand your connection to him and respect that (mine with Greenspan probably clouds my judgement somewhat there) but if were going small Ohio school (which I am all for) Mercer at Wright St or Duncan at Kent St have done far better. 

Yes, that's why I said I don't think he has a shot. I was throwing it out there because he is a personal friend. 

I have to wonder to what extent Tracy Smith's failures at ASU have diminished his ability to be a mentally effective coach. He was essentially to ASU baseball what Rich Rod was to Michigan football in producing historically low points for the program. In fact, it was worse given we're talking managing a baseball team in comparison to changing a football program's scheme. The talent never left ASU, yet under Smith's tutelage they're barely winning 20 games a season at this point. He should've been let go after this season.

3 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

IU went the cheap route again. They do that for every sport except men’s basketball.

Dude this hire is being universally praised. Like, no one other than you is complaining.  He is an awesome coach. And I think that makes him the second highest paid coach in the conference.

36 minutes ago, RBB89 said:

Dude this hire is being universally praised. Like, no one other than you is complaining.  He is an awesome coach. And I think that makes him the second highest paid coach in the conference.

Just had a buddy say MSU fans are probably wisjing they got mercer instead of Lemonis