Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

5 minutes ago, KB0 said:

My biggest issue is that it seems everyone just assumes the baseball team will continue to win at the level they have been recently. It's possible they do, but it is certainly not guaranteed. These last 6 years have been the best in school history and should not be dismissed lightly. 

Lemonis never hit the ceiling everyone wanted, but his teams had a pretty high floor.    

His failures to develop players would have eventually hit recruiting Doubtful he could’ve sustained the success

52 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

His failures to develop players would have eventually hit recruiting Doubtful he could’ve sustained the success

Maybe you're right. Time will certainly tell at Mississippi State. Hope he does well. 

Cannot overstate how important this hire is for IU, though. The foundation's been built. Hopefully we find the right man to steer the ship.

He might go to MSU and kill it there. He could end up getting canned after 3-5 years.

He did great things here but don't think the team ever reached their potential under him. I'd like to see coach Smith return and see IU absolutely dominate the Big Ten under him. That seems like the better fit to me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

A re-tweet from Osterman of Lemonis deal at Mi. St.

DgoM8YfWsAIpDw4.jpg

Man that's insane. Would have thought the guy at least got to a super regional at IU for that $$$. I will say if he can recruit top 5-10 classes at MSU he may not have to worry too much about player development like at IU and this could be a great deal for both sides. Time will tell.

Not getting my hopes up about the next hire. I'm not one to perpetually rag on Glass like some of our fans, but many of his hires just haven't been exciting. Tom Allen was underwhelming. Lemonis was underwhelming. Heck, Archie was underwhelming after the way he talked up what he was looking for (just to be clear, I'm satisfied with what Archie has done so far).

I'm seeing names  of assistant/position coaches coming up and all I can do is shake my head. We've sent two coaches to two of the top 10 jobs in college baseball and we're a Power-5 program. We should be able to do a lot better than a freaking assistant.

Oh, and I wouldn't bet the farm on Smith coming back. Not that he wouldn't want to, I just don't see him walking away from ASU and taking that paycut. Yeah, he's under a lot of pressure, but so are a lot of coaches. I'm sure he knows he's toast and ASU won't work out for him, but more often than not, the captain goes down with the ship. Most coaches would rather be fired and take it like a man than back down from a challenge. It's just how these guys are wired. 

Not getting my hopes up about the next hire. I'm not one to perpetually rag on Glass like some of our fans, but many of his hires just haven't been exciting. Tom Allen was underwhelming. Lemonis was underwhelming. Heck, Archie was underwhelming after the way he talked up what he was looking for (just to be clear, I'm satisfied with what Archie has done so far).

I'm seeing names  of assistant/position coaches coming up and all I can do is shake my head. We've sent two coaches to two of the top 10 jobs in college baseball and we're a Power-5 program. We should be able to do a lot better than a freaking assistant.

Oh, and I wouldn't bet the farm on Smith coming back. Not that he wouldn't want to, I just don't see him walking away from ASU and taking that paycut. Yeah, he's under a lot of pressure, but so are a lot of coaches. I'm sure he knows he's toast and ASU won't work out for him, but more often than not, the captain goes down with the ship. Most coaches would rather be fired and take it like a man than back down from a challenge. It's just how these guys are wired. 

To be fair one of his “bad” hires just left us for a top program in the SEC. I agree completely on Smith.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

The best defensive coordinator we've had in decades who is also likely to stay if he finds success is the furthest thing from an underwhelming hire.

Still a pretty underwhelming hire, especially since they didn't even look at other candidates. Just because he was a good coordinator doesn't mean he'll be a good coach. We'll see if he's better this year. I was not very impressed last year. That team shouldn't have missed a bowl.

28 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Still a pretty underwhelming hire, especially since they didn't even look at other candidates. Just because he was a good coordinator doesn't mean he'll be a good coach. We'll see if he's better this year. I was not very impressed last year. That team shouldn't have missed a bowl.

It was far from a splash but I understand it. It's definitely a tough sell even for up and coming coaches. This division we are in has killed us more than the history of the program. That's tough when you want to put your stamp on a program but are up against powerhouses every year that typically steal your best recruits away from in-state. Even if you pull a guy like a Jeff Brohm how long would he stay here if he did well? 3 years max maybe 4? At least Allen will be loyal and has a chance to establish 5-7 wins every year. Based on where we are at, this type of hire made the most sense imo. 

From a baseball standpoint,  no reason not to make a splash.  We can be the top of the Big 10. Heck, we have been the most consistent over the last decade or so. We have great facilities and already a solid roster. No reason we can't reach out and get someone exciting here. 

34 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

The team wouldn't have missed a bowl game if our former "QB whisperer" of a head coach was able to reel in even one decent QB recruit beyond getting Sudfeld as a late AZ decommit. If Rich Rod doesn't take the Arizona job then Bill Lynch would have had a better resume at QB recruiting and development at IU than Wilson. 

6 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

It was far from a splash but I understand it. It's definitely a tough sell even for up and coming coaches. This division we are in has killed us more than the history of the program. That's tough when you want to put your stamp on a program but are up against powerhouses every year that typically steal your best recruits away from in-state. Even if you pull a guy like a Jeff Brohm how long would he stay here if he did well? 3 years max maybe 4? At least Allen will be loyal and has a chance to establish 5-7 wins every year. Based on where we are at, this type of hire made the most sense imo. 

From a baseball standpoint,  no reason not to make a splash.  We can be the top of the Big 10. Heck, we have been the most consistent over the last decade or so. We have great facilities and already a solid roster. No reason we can't reach out and get someone exciting here. 

I agree with both the football and baseball comments. IU baseball is in an good position, so go out an hire the best option available. Would love to see (and kind of expect) IU to take the next step and become the best B1G program. 

I was pretty underwhelmed by the Lemonis and Allen hires. And who knows? Maybe Allen will turn out to be a great fit. But I was disappointed that we at least did not test the waters and do a national search when Wilson was let go ... I did not think that hiring Archie was an underwhelming move. Archie was seen as one of the top up-and-comers in college hoops and I, for one, am glad we have him. And I can almost guarantee you that had we not hired him, Ohio State would have when Matta stepped down/was fired. ... But back to baseball -- I don't see Tracy Smith coming back and to be honest -- and I might be the only one -- I'm not sure I'd want him at this point. There have been a handful of coaching reduxes over the years, and they just don't seem to work. Plus, I can't help but think that if he did come back, it wouldn't be because he wants to be here, but because he failed at ASU. So let's find a fresh face -- a good recruiter who also can help develop that talent and instill solid basic baseball fundamentals. I have no idea who that person is, but personally, I think it would be better all the way around if it were not Tracy Smith. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I tend to think if you are running a podcast you should be a bit more informed and provide full info on what you are saying.

On the IUBASE podcast that I actually really like usually, the female on it threw out Rich Maloney as first possibility. She is supposedly the stat guru of the show but conveniently only mentioned the good of Maloney from his early days when pumping him up. She said nothing of the fact that in the last 10 years as college baseball has gotten better he has struggled mightily and after initial success drove Michigan into ground. Furthermore while his first stint at Ball St was really good, his current one has been very underwhelming. In other words the game has passed him over it seems.

I have no problem if this is who she feels is best as everyone is entitled to their opinion but when putting your info out there it is important you give full numbers and not just cherry pick the early days. If she had said something like 'he has struggled recently but I strongly feel at IU he would do better given his early success and support the program has' I would be fine.

As I referred to earlier in this thread the one guy I would not hire is Maloney. Guess one person feels differently but judging from what I have read the vast majority are on my side. I hope Glass is smart enough to not even consider him.

After Mulling it over here are my most wanted somewhat realistic candidates in order:

1. Tracy Smith (this is totally a gut feeling but don't rule this out as much as people think but still somewhat unlikely)

2. Jeff Duncan

3. Scott Googins

4. Jeff Mercer

5. Ben Greenspan

6. Eric Snider

I would be fine with any of the above or another out of left field name that is an up and comer.

Probably avoid:

1. One of our current assistants

2. Gary Henderson (I know this name is popular after what he did at Mississippi St but to me his mediocre stint at UK makes me pause)

Absolutely avoid:

1. Rich Maloney

Overall I am willing to give anyone but Maloney at least a chance but would be happier with some over others. If it's Maloney I will lead a rebellion (not literally) and probably lose interest immediately unless he proves something to me down the road.  

17 hours ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Purdue hired the football coach that we should have hired. 

I know that IU will never land Elite coaches in most sports. At least hire up and coming Mid-Major coaches.

He wouldn't have come to IU with the Purdue offer in hand. I am not a huge Glass fan but I feel like he knew the market and what was realistic/unrealistic about what our options were.  He could have interviewed a few names like Brohm and maybe that would have made folks happy since that changes the perception that he was trying to get the best coach possible. However, I'd like to think he had a decent pulse on this. 

Purdue is a better sell than IU. Minnesota is a better sell than IU. Neither of those teams have to face OSU, Mich, Mich St and Penn St every year. To me, this has killed us more than anything. We may not have the tradition and football will always be a distant second to basketball but unless the re-arrange the divisions or we up the $$$ for a coach, i don't see anyone wanting to come here who is looking to take the next step and build a successful program. Maybe there was another guy out there like a Kevin Wilson (not quite the level of excitement as Brohm) but is that really any better than Tom Allen? Btw, I don't see Brohm staying that long at Purdue.