Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

The more I think about it.. if Milto is healthy, I think he starts Wednesday night. We would miss a start this weekend, but we don't play a mid week game next week, so he could go back to his usual sat start at Minnesota next Saturday. Our BP needs some rest and we need to win Wed night... not sure who else could start with who threw those innings this weekend. 

I should be more mad about tonight then I am but everything else around me locally went so well (Pacers, Cubs, Colts draft picks which I know some don't like but I did) I'm not really. I guess IU is struggling so much not even a good local sports night can save them.

We can forget about hosting now and just worry about not playing our way out of tourney with RPI dropping to mid 30's after tonight. Only good news was Luke Miller returned and pinch hit so he's ready to return. Still not sure on Milto. We did our bad habit tonight of jumping on a team early and scoring only to go dormant rest of night. However, I have to blame this on Stiever who was great for 3 innings than was terrible in 4th-7th giving up 3 runs and was constantly under duress. As the ace and especially with how strong he was in first 3 innings he needs to hold that 2-0 lead and not give up more than a run. I am not praising the offense who deserves a lot of blame for going in toilet after 1st but if you stake your ace to a 2-0 lead after 1 he should be able to hold it rest of night and especially in a Friday night match up when other team’s ace is going.

Winning the next 2 is a must which won’t be easy as it looks like Milto will not pitch again this weekend unless he goes Sunday but I doubt it. We need to forget about winning Big Ten and hosting Regional which is almost impossible now and just worry about staying in the tourney picture and not completing derailing the season.

Update: Lemonis confirmed Milto not pitching this weekend and it will be Beauchamp and Herrin. No game midweek though with finals which helps a lot for Minny next weekend and maybe we can get back to full health. Offense better wake up though as Beauchamp and Herrin will certainly give up at least a couple.

8 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I should be more mad about tonight then I am but everything else around me locally went so well (Pacers, Cubs, Colts draft picks which I know some don't like but I did) I'm not really. I guess IU is struggling so much not even a good local sports night can save them.

We can forget about hosting now and just worry about not playing our way out of tourney with RPI dropping to mid 30's after tonight. Only good news was Luke Miller returned and pinch hit so he's ready to return. Still not sure on Milto. We did our bad habit tonight of jumping on a team early and scoring only to go dormant rest of night. However, I have to blame this on Stiever who was great for 3 innings than was terrible in 4th-7th giving up 3 runs and was constantly under duress. As the ace and especially with how strong he was in first 3 innings he needs to hold that 2-0 lead and not give up more than a run. I am not praising the offense who deserves a lot of blame for going in toilet after 1st but if you stake your ace to a 2-0 lead after 1 he should be able to hold it rest of night and especially in a Friday night match up when other team’s ace is going.

Winning the next 2 is a must which won’t be easy as it looks like Milto will not pitch again this weekend unless he goes Sunday but I doubt it. We need to forget about winning Big Ten and hosting Regional which is almost impossible now and just worry about staying in the tourney picture and not completing derailing the season.

We scored 2 runs.. no one to blame but the offense. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We scored 2 runs.. no one to blame but the offense. 

I said I don't praise the offense and they went in the toilet.

However, the college coaches I interned with always told me in a Friday night match up between aces that if offense stakes you to an early lead the ace is expected to hold that up at all costs rest of night and if he doesn't its on him. Maybe some coaches have different philosophy's and offense certainly needs to wake up but based on what I learned this is mostly on Stiever who was bad in the middle innings. Whole team needs to get its act together though.  

5 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I said I don't praise the offense and they went in the toilet.

However, the college coaches I interned with always told me in a Friday night match up between aces that if offense stakes you to an early lead the ace is expected to hold that up at all costs rest of night and if he doesn't its on him. Maybe some coaches have different philosophy's and offense certainly needs to wake up but based on what I learned this is mostly on Stiever who was bad in the middle innings. Whole team needs to get its act together though.  

6.2 gave up 3. Offense has been AWFUL. 

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

6.2 gave up 3. Offense has been AWFUL. 

Yes it has and they deserve a ton of criticism. But 3 runs in 6.2 is not great especially when you take a perfect game into the 4th. As I said if we get 2 early and Stiever wants to be a true ace he is expected to give up 1 or less. At least thats how I learned it. 

9 minutes ago, Aaron said:

Yes it has and they deserve a ton of criticism. But 3 runs in 6.2 is not great especially when you take a perfect game into the 4th. As I said if we get 2 early and Stiever wants to be a true ace he is expected to give up 1 or less. At least thats how I learned it. 

He was average... wasn't spectacular... Offense can't score 2 runs. Collectively we have to be better and we will. 

Well our offense still has not woken up and the pitchers glove and 1st base umpire gave us the game today eventually but it feels good to be in the win column again. We scratched across a run in 1st on an infield single by Gorksi that barely bounced off the pitchers glove on a high chopper with bases loaded. We didn’t score again in regulation but Beauchamp and the relievers (Krueger, Sabol and Lloyd) were as good as Milto would have been.

Eventually Illinois tied it in the 9th with 2 outs but should of taken a 2-1 lead and won as a dropped third strike by Fineman with runner on 2nd was late on the throw to first but ump wrongly called Illini runner out for 2nd out. Illinois that got a single to tie with the runner still on 2nd but the next single which would of won it with correct call on previous play only put runners at 1st and 2nd and Lloyd got a pop out to end inning after.

Nothing doing for either offense after that until Drew Ashley led off the 12th with a HR down the right field line to win it. Not sure we deserved to win as we also made a million base running mistakes and as I said our offense continues to be in hibernation. However, we found a way finally in another 50-50 game and the pitching was fantastic and we needed every bit of it. Hopefully this springboards the team back on track.

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There's was no wrong call at first. That was right in front of me. 

Live I thought he was out as well but than the TV did a slowed down replay and showed he was safe by a hair. Bang bang call and not egregious but once you watched in slow motion you saw he was barely safe. Either way take any breaks you can get and be happy for the win we desperately needed.

IU takes a 9-2 lead after 7 scoring 5 more times in inning. Walker HR, Sowers RBI single to left, Miller pinch hit and hit a line drive off the pitchers glove for infield hit where the throw was frantically shoveled home to low and than Gorski a 2 run RBI single to center.