Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mdn82

This Thread Is About Coaches

On 3/21/2018 at 8:49 PM, HoosierFan1994 said:

I don't get how Sean is still there. They are losing all five starters and no incoming recruits. Sounds a lot like our 2008-2009 season for them. 

They will probably push hard for the grad transfer route. Get two or three guys and hope to stay above water for a season until things die down (not sure what will happen there) and then pick back up with 2019 recruiting. Should be interesting to watch. 

6 minutes ago, Magnanimous said:

The first year's roster was an absolute joke of a team that no coach would have won with. He had to put that team together after the majority of players were signed elsewhere. I was a sophomore at IU during Crean's first season, and I knew some kids who beat our basketball team in a pickup game at the SRSC. He gets a pass for that year.

The 09 class had talent, but Crean didn't get a real PG onto campus until Yogi, his 5th year as coach, or a talented big onto campus until Cody, his 4th year as coach. If he landed talent at either position earlier it wouldn't have been as long of a rebuild, but he instead chose to focus on only scoring, and neglected two critical components to a successful college team. It also highlighted early on his lack of regard for in-state talent, as there were plenty of smart ballhandlers in his own backyard (sorry but I was never sold on Hulls as an option for point at the college level). 

Crean went all in on Irving early and when he missed he just ignored the position, thinking that Verdell Jones, Jeremiah Rivers, and Jordan Hulls could pilot the ship for four years. If he would have landed a true point earlier, the the team would have likely won sooner.

Crean took a nap too after Yogi left. Thinking Newkirk could come in and run the offense is puzzling to say the least. It's absolutely ridiculous that he basically had one legit PG in his 9 years at IU. 

Can't help at times but wonder what would've happened if after the 2001 season, the person(s) in charge did what Louisville just did with its interim coach and said: "Thanks. We appreciate what you did, but we're going in a different direction." ... For the most part, I like Mike Davis. But he had no business running IU's basketball program. He just wasn't ready. When he was an assistant, he had applied for the Delaware job -- and didn't get it! And we handed him the keys to one of the nation's top programs. I think Louisville's AD (or acting AD) recognized that with Padgett. Your very first head coaching job should not be at place like IU or Louisville. ... Although given the state of IU's athletic department back then, it's almost safe to say if Davis weren't retained, the hire would've been mucked up anyway.  

Would Louisville go to the devil incarnate (aka -- its despised, hated, No. 1 rival) for a coach? ... Seth Davis said he thought Mack to the KFC Dum! Center was a longshot, while most everyone else seems to think it's a done deal. Interesting ... 

https://247sports.com/Article/Louisville-asks-for-permission-to-interview-former-U-of-L-player-and-current-Kentucky-assistant-coach-Kenny-Payne-116646058

Louisville has yet to even get hammered for the university 6 stuff. And while there been no fire Mack has been near some smoke. 

Seems risky for both parties. 

I think that is because the investigation hasn’t really started for the NCAA in relations to the FBI case. I am thinking the NCAA will actually have to wait until the FBI finishes. They don’t have access to the information or evidence. Even then until they are convicted it is hearsay. They can deny. Same as it’s always been. Once convicted or pleas come in it is official and the NCAA will punish. Louisville is screwed because this all occurred while they are on probation. Other schools won’t get it as bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, HinnyHoosier said:

https://indiana.247sports.com/Bolt/Doug-Gottlieb-says-Steve-Alford-to-Indiana-is-done-deal-51947965

Came across this gem today. So glad it was just Gottlieb being Gottlieb.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That's just the thing about Gottlieb. He said his sources told him Alford to IU is a done deal. He's not a reporter -- he doesn't know what reliable sources are. He's just a talking head, and should leave the reporting to those who know how. ... Several years back, Kirk Herbstreit reported that his "sources" told him Les Miles was definitely leaving LSU for Michigan. Herbstreit "broke" the story on the day of the SEC championship. Of course, Miles didn't go to Michigan. Herbstreit doesn't know what sources are -- and he got taken to task for blathering that story. 

8 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

That's just the thing about Gottlieb. He said his sources told him Alford to IU is a done deal. He's not a reporter -- he doesn't know what reliable sources are. He's just a talking head, and should leave the reporting to those who know how. ... Several years back, Kirk Herbstreit reported that his "sources" told him Les Miles was definitely leaving LSU for Michigan. Herbstreit "broke" the story on the day of the SEC championship. Of course, Miles didn't go to Michigan. Herbstreit doesn't know what sources are -- and he got taken to task for blathering that story. 

Michigan fans feel that Herbstreit leaking the story sabotaged the Les smiles deal. Not that Herbie didn’t have sources, his sources were right. It just created a bad situation for Les and he had to make a decision to coach for a national title or go back to his Alma Mater. He chose to coach for a national title. At least that’s how Michigan fans tell it. 

I've rarely, if at all, seen Gottlieb this yr on any shows. Is he still in the business?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, mdn82 said:

I think that is because the investigation hasn’t really started for the NCAA in relations to the FBI case. I am thinking the NCAA will actually have to wait until the FBI finishes. They don’t have access to the information or evidence. Even then until they are convicted it is hearsay. They can deny. Same as it’s always been. Once convicted or pleas come in it is official and the NCAA will punish. Louisville is screwed because this all occurred while they are on probation. Other schools won’t get it as bad.

You make a good point about this occurring while on probation.  Let's face it, what Sampson did was really just a misdemeanor but what made it significant was that he had already been caught and 'punished'.  UofL would not be guilty of committing a repeat of the same offense, but flaunting their probation and committing major rules violations.

Something else that may separate this from University of No Classes getting off scot free is that if the FBI evidence leads to charges and convictions, it puts the NCAA very much in a must act position.

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

From Kentucky to High Point. Talk about your long and winding roads. Wow. 

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22909507/tubby-smith-expected-become-coach-high-point-panthers

If it materializes this is surely his last stop as Tubby is 66 years old.

Uof6 plans to announce their next head coach Tues per WDRB TV. Looks like they got their guy. Chris Mack.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

All things considered, and I am not a cards fan at all, but that is an impressive hire. I wonder if he got the long term Crean contract or if he thinks the penalties going forward are not formidable

Uof6 plans to announce their next head coach Tues per WDRB TV. Looks like they got their guy. Chris Mack.

Perfect match. Coming from Xavier he has an advance on how to cheat. Increase the budget, increase the results.

I looked on their site and only saw they were announcing an AD on Monday. I went to the various UL boards and I didn’t see anything. They were still stuck on Payne. Was it during the broadcast?

After going to the WDRB site Vince Tyra is going to be named permanent AD tomorrow. Should throw that out. Surprised they won’t let the AD make that hire if this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners